Stock Market at Y2K levels, Corp earnings doubled

Mar 5, 2013
Yet real median wage is now 8 percent below what it was in 2000, and unemployment remains sky-high.

Obama. President of the One Percent of America.

Yet real median wage is now 8 percent below what it was in 2000

But is that going up or going down?

and unemployment remains sky-high.

It is at an unacceptable level, but it is by no means "sky-high".

However, one of the reasons corporate earnings are good is because they have smaller workforces. Getting more work out of fewer people.

This cannot be sustained forever.

Let's go down the list of leading indicators, and see how they are doing. A trend is better than a carefully framed still photo.

1. Average weekly hours, manufacturing

40.6 hours compared to 40.9 hours a year ago.

So relatively flat.

2. Average weekly initial claims for unemployment insurance

In the week ending February 23, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 344,000, a decrease of 22,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 366,000. The 4-week moving average was 355,000, a decrease of 6,750 from the previous week's revised average of 361,750.

Trending positive.

3. Manufacturers’ new orders, consumer goods and materials

New orders for manufactured durable goods in December, up seven of the last eight months, increased $9.4 billion or 4.3 percent to $230.0 billion, revised from the previously published 4.6 percent increase. This followed a 0.6 percent November increase.

Long term positive trend.

4. ISM Index of New Orders

Economic activity in the manufacturing sector expanded in February for the third consecutive month, and the overall economy grew for the 45th consecutive month, say the nation's supply executives in the latest Manufacturing ISM Report On Business.

The New Orders Index registered 57.8 percent, an increase of 4.5 percent over January's reading of 53.3 percent, indicating growth in new orders for the second consecutive month. As was the case in January, all five of the PMI™'s component indexes — new orders, production, employment, supplier deliveries and inventories — registered in positive territory in February. In addition, the Backlog of Orders, Exports and Imports Indexes all grew in February relative to January."

Very positive trend.

5. Manufacturers' new orders, nondefense capital goods excluding aircraft orders

2pqpffk.gif

Also looking good.

6. Building permits, new private housing units

14o0rcj.gif

Finally trending upward.

7. Stock prices, 500 common stocks

ev6wj7.gif

Looking very good.

8. The interest rate spread between 10-year Treasury bonds and the federal funds rate.

Yesterday's 10 year Treasury was at 1.88 percent.

Yesterday's federal funds rate was at 0.16 percent.

Looking at both for 2013 to date, there is no sign of inversion. So that's very good.

9. Consumer Confidence Index:

The Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index®, which had declined in January, rebounded in February. The Index now stands at 69.6 (1985=100), up from 58.4 in January. The Present Situation Index increased to 63.3 from 56.2. The Expectations Index improved to 73.8 from 59.9 last month.

Looking good!

Last edited:
I don't want to hear about leading indicators and how they're "trending up" anymore. That's all we've heard since June of '09 and not one thing has improved for working people.

All I know is that Corporate profits are claiming a larger share of national income than at any time in 60 years, while the portion of total income going to employees is near its lowest since 1966.

I don't want to hear about leading indicators and how they're "trending up" anymore. That's all we've heard since June of '09 and not one thing has improved for working people.

All I know is that Corporate profits are claiming a larger share of national income than at any time in 60 years, while the portion of total income going to employees is near its lowest since 1966.

Hey, was i the first to notice Obama was raised by a white banker?

Yep. Corporations are using the bad economy as an excuse to dump employees, freeze wages, etc, and demand more work out of less employees. Their profits are soaring, and employees are too scared to becoming unemployed to not do the additional workload. And more people are desperate for work, and companies can offer lower wages because eventually someone will bite just to have a job.

Its great to be a corporate board member or major stock holder these days. Not so great for everyone else. And yes, this cannot be sustained.

I don't want to hear about leading indicators and how they're "trending up" anymore. That's all we've heard since June of '09

No it isn't. You are lying. Many of the leading indicators were negative until recently.

You are just trying to deny to yourself the signs the economy is finally starting to come out of the tunnel.

and not one thing has improved for working people.

Yes, and this has been accomplished legislatively.

and everyones investments, including pensions, 401(k)s are tied into those profits.

Good for everyone.

Yup. That obama sure has taught those evil rich people a lesson hasn't he. Good ole barry, he's the champion of the meek.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

It's not just Obama. It's our entire federal system that has been captured and corrupted.

I don't want to hear about leading indicators and how they're "trending up" anymore. That's all we've heard since June of '09

No it isn't. You are lying. Many of the leading indicators were negative until recently.

You are just trying to deny to yourself the signs the economy is finally starting to come out of the tunnel.

and not one thing has improved for working people.

Yes, and this has been accomplished legislatively.

there is nothing to deny. The economy has been in a slump for 5 years now....most recessions UNTOUCHED by governemnt last about 18 months.

Now we know how government intervention slows recoveries....something I have been saying for 5 years.

For all those who are claiming that the Stock market is doing great...

Are you out of friggin mind??

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-21/the-stock-market-ponders-life-without-qe.html

The Stock Market Ponders Life Without QE
By Caroline Baum Feb 21, 2013 11:05 AM CT

All it took were several references to “several participants” wondering about the costs of additional quantitative easing to send the Dow Jones Industrial Average down 108 points yesterday.

The participants in question are members of the Federal Reserve’s Open Market Committee. Minutes of the committee’s Jan. 29-30 meeting were released yesterday.

The discussion of the costs and benefits of the Fed’s $85 billion-a-month bond-buying operation seems to be picking up more votes for the costs outweighing the benefits with each passing meeting. The doves, including Fed chief Ben Bernanke, Fed vice chair Janet Yellen and New York Fed President Bill Dudley, still think the harm to society from a prolonged period of high unemployment justifies the cost.

The hawks are either gaining critical mass or talking louder. (It’s hard to tell which one because the minutes use qualitative terms, such as “several,” “some” or “many” participants.) Among their concerns are the risk of inflation; the possibility of disrupting the normal functioning of the Treasuries and mortgage-backed bond markets with the Fed’s purchases; potential losses on its huge securities portfolio when interest rates start to rise; and the risk of risk-taking, which could pose a threat to financial stability.

Of course, risk-taking is exactly what the Fed has been encouraging the public to do. As I wrote in a column last week, Bernanke explains the transmission of monetary policy as working through the public’s purchase of riskier assets once the Fed has cut the overnight rate to zero and depressed the yield on long- term Treasuries through outright purchases.

It seems to be working. “Investor appetite for risk had increased,” the minutes note.

Some analysts said the minutes reflected a sea change in Fed thinking. I view them as a slight adjustment to the tiller. For forward-looking markets, the suggestion that the Fed might, as the minutes put it, “vary the pace of asset purchases, either in response to changes in the economic outlook or as its evaluation of the efficacy and costs of such purchase evolved,” may have been enough to warrant caution.

Market participants forget that the Fed is neither omniscient nor a very good forecaster. What it is is the sole proprietor of the printing press. If the hint of cutting back on its hours of operation is enough to frighten the stock market, then the Fed really has to be concerned by what it hath wrought.

The TL / DR - If it were not for the Fed buying $85 Billion in bonds every month, the Stock Market would be tanked.

For those with short memories, the last time the Stock market was this high, the shares traded that day exceeded 1 billion.

Now they are hardly breaking half that.

Yup. That obama sure has taught those evil rich people a lesson hasn't he. Good ole barry, he's the champion of the meek.

It's not just Obama. It's our entire federal system that has been captured and corrupted.

True but the left is already claiming it's all obama.

the left is taking opleasure in crediting Obama with a recoivery that cost a trillion dollars anbd took nearly 3 times as long if no money was spent on it at all?

Fine...let them give him the credit.

My how the worm turns!!!

After condemning Obama for years for being bad for business, the CON$ervoFascist Brotherhood now condemns Obama for being good for business!!!

Big BIG BIG difference between 2007 and 2013!!!

• Dow Jones Industrial Average: Then 14164.5; Now 14164.5
  • Regular Gas Price: Then $2.75; Now $3.73
  • GDP Growth: Then +2.5%; Now +1.6%
  • Americans Unemployed (in Labor Force): Then 6.7 million; Now 13.2 million
  • Americans On Food Stamps: Then 26.9 million; Now 47.69 million
  • Size of Fed's Balance Sheet: Then $0.89 trillion; Now $3.01 trillion
  • US Debt as a Percentage of GDP: Then ~38%; Now 74.2%
  • US Deficit (LTM): Then $97 billion; Now $975.6 billion
  • Total US Debt Oustanding: Then $9.008 trillion; Now $16.43 trillion
  • US Household Debt: Then $13.5 trillion; Now 12.87 trillion
  • Labor Force Particpation Rate: Then 65.8%; Now 63.6%
  • Consumer Confidence: Then 99.5; Now 69.6
  • S&P Rating of the US: Then AAA; Now AA+
  • VIX: Then 17.5%; Now 14%
  • 10 Year Treasury Yield: Then 4.64%; Now 1.89%
  • USDJPY: Then 117; Now 93
  • EURUSD: Then 1.4145; Now 1.3050
  • Gold: Then $748; Now $1583
  • NYSE Average LTM Volume (per day): Then 1.3 billion shares; Now 545 million shares

The Last Time The Dow Was Here... | Zero Hedge

Yet real median wage is now 8 percent below what it was in 2000, and unemployment remains sky-high.

I seem to recall when Bush was in Office the Stock Market was not considered a fair, or good measure of how things were going. When ever we pointed out how well it was doing, they said it's just the rich getting richer.

Today it is even worse, not only does it not really matter how well the DOW is doing, it's only doing so well because Interest Rates are being held down by the Government, leaving investors nowhere to invest other than stocks. Add to that the Money the Fed keeps pumping into the Economy and what you have is a false, inflated Market that does not reflect the real life economic situation.

I seem to recall when Bush was in Office the Stock Market was not considered a fair, or good measure of how things were going. When ever we pointed out how well it was doing, they said it's just the rich getting richer.

Today it is even worse, not only does it not really matter how well the DOW is doing, it's only doing so well because Interest Rates are being held down by the Government, leaving investors nowhere to invest other than stocks. Add to that the Money the Fed keeps pumping into the Economy and what you have is a false, inflated Market that does not reflect the real life economic situation.

Which is why I went to the trouble to find out what all the economic leading indicators are doing, not just the stock market.

And all but one, which is flat, all point toward our economy coming out of the tunnel.

This bullshit about it's all because of the Fed is just that. Bullshit. QE3 had about a half day of effect on the markets. This is common knowledge.

Like it or not, the economy is really improving. Don't be a partisan hack and be mad the economy is getting better! Jesus!

True but the left is already claiming it's all obama.

One thing I have learned being on here.
If it's positive news....

It's all due to Obama....

If it's negative news...

It's everybody's fault but Obama.... :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back