Stop trying to politicize the hurricane

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
It is an unpredictable natural disaster. Mistakes will be made & acts a heroism will occur. Politics has nothing to do with it so put your partisan bs away for awhile.

And ultimately unless you are disabled and didn't leave you have no one to blame but yourself.

upload_2017-8-28_23-12-9.jpeg

What kind of city doesn't have emergency plans for different disaster sceneries?

Especially one situated along a coast where hurricanes occur?

*****SMILE*****

:)

That area has had flooding before. It has had hurricanes before. But it has never had this magnitude of disaster before. And how the hell could you have prepared for this?

Hurricane Harvey went from a dangerous tropical storm to a cat 4 hurricane in less than 48 hours. It was reached cat 1 strength at 1 pm Thursday, and struck the coast at cat 4 at 10 pm on Friday. Now how the hell are you going to evacuate millions of people from the coast to past Houston in that length of time? Assuming that you started evacuating at the time that Harvey reached hurricane status? And where would you put the people? Had you even issued such an order, the people there would have laughed at you. After all, they have ridden out many hurricanes up to cat 3 without any real problems. Had the order to evacuate the whole of that area been given, millions of people would have been on the roads that are now under water, and the catastrophe would have had a far higher death toll than it does now.

And there is a second matter to consider. For the people giving the early warning concerning Harvey being a precipitation event were scientists. You know, those people that all the "Conservatives" on this board will tell you, at length, that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Warmer waters and a warmer atmosphere means there will be more evaporation, and more precipitation.

It is an unpredictable natural disaster. Mistakes will be made & acts a heroism will occur. Politics has nothing to do with it so put your partisan bs away for awhile.

And ultimately unless you are disabled and didn't leave you have no one to blame but yourself.
Cons politicize everything .. you don't get to criticize that.

That area has had flooding before. It has had hurricanes before. But it has never had this magnitude of disaster before. And how the hell could you have prepared for this?

Hurricane Harvey went from a dangerous tropical storm to a cat 4 hurricane in less than 48 hours. It was reached cat 1 strength at 1 pm Thursday, and struck the coast at cat 4 at 10 pm on Friday. Now how the hell are you going to evacuate millions of people from the coast to past Houston in that length of time? Assuming that you started evacuating at the time that Harvey reached hurricane status? And where would you put the people? Had you even issued such an order, the people there would have laughed at you. After all, they have ridden out many hurricanes up to cat 3 without any real problems. Had the order to evacuate the whole of that area been given, millions of people would have been on the roads that are now under water, and the catastrophe would have had a far higher death toll than it does now.

And there is a second matter to consider. For the people giving the early warning concerning Harvey being a precipitation event were scientists. You know, those people that all the "Conservatives" on this board will tell you, at length, that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Warmer waters and a warmer atmosphere means there will be more evaporation, and more precipitation.

You were doing pretty good until the third paragraph. Hurricanes don't usually stall for 5-6 days in one geographical area. 30 inches of water over thousands of square miles is, as you said, is unprecedented. Some areas here will see more than 50 inches. I live 40 miles NW of Houston and have had 28 inches and it will rain for the next two days according to the forecast. Things aren't engineered to handle an 800 year flood.

I do agree keep politics out of this storm conversation. I have been riding this storm out and been bless with the fact where I am at the yard is with a mini lake but nothing came into the home.

I went further down the road and homes are wiped out, businesses are wiped out, and lives are alter forever.

I have video and pics of this event and you have never seen what has happen and I pray none of you see It!

Those spitting on Trump, Congress, The Governor and The Local Politicians have done all they could.

Rita taught us that trying to evac a region this size is impossible, so the only choice was shelter in place.

Many will question that idea but let me say if those people were stuck on the road there would have been more deaths.

The Hurricane just did not do as a typical Hurricane would have done.

No one knew where the storm was going, and now it is back in the Gulf heading to Louisiana.

From Corpus to Houston region the destruction is so massive that you would freak the fuck out and it is not done and Louisiana is going to get hit with a Tropical Storm.

So as I finish I hope the idiots on this board would take a moment and realize they are spitting on lives when they wrote about this storm and the people in this storm.

No one could have imagined the destruction and our politicians, locals and even those not from here stepped up and became more when needed.

Hopefully when this is over and recover start people remember the heroes that stepped up and no matter what I will never forget...

I need some more sleep and Grandpa give a big hug to all those you love and thank your lucky stars you did not ride through this storm.

God Bless Mate...

Last edited:
If you're not interested in the political implications of a natural disaster, don't post in 'politics'.

Then explain in great detail what you would have done different?

So you think you know how to evac a region the size of Houston and where the hell hell do you send them?

If you do not know where the storm is going then tell me where do you send them?

You were doing pretty good until the third paragraph. Hurricanes don't usually stall for 5-6 days in one geographical area. 30 inches of water over thousands of square miles is, as you said, is unprecedented. Some areas here will see more than 50 inches. I live 40 miles NW of Houston and have had 28 inches and it will rain for the next two days according to the forecast. Things aren't engineered to handle an 800 year flood.

It isnt unprecedented. People tend to blow events like thisway out of proportion. Dont get me wrong... Its bad. Its really bad. However it is not unprecedented.

Rare film shows great flood of 1935

People seem to get myopic towards events like these. They tend to transpose "the worst in my lifetime"; into "the worst ever". And seldom are the two in agreement. A lot has changed in Houston since the 1930s. There is a lot more asphalt and concrete laid down than there was back then; and that certainly isnt helping matters. But for the media, and local governance to just throw up their hands, and claim "this is unprecedented"! Is not only historically inaccurate; its also quite dangerous. For in fact a precedent had been set in the 30's. And then, just as now; the leadership took the stance that it was "unprecedented". And it wasnt true then either. These leaders should put more effort into knowing the history of the geography over which they govern. Such knowledge would aid these locales when it comes to designing future growth of large cities such as Houston. Had the leadership taken to heart the example set in the 30's; the devastation we see unfolding in 2017 might have been far less.
Hopefully the leaders of today, will do what the leaders of the 30's, and 40's did not... Learn from the past.

Last edited:
View attachment 146526

What kind of city doesn't have emergency plans for different disaster sceneries?

Especially one situated along a coast where hurricanes occur?

*****SMILE*****

:)

Create one and tell us simple minded people how you would have evacuated millions of people in a 24 to 36 hour period and where the fuck do you send them?

The Storm path has been from Corpus to Houston and now will enter Louisiana and millions more will suffer, so tell me where do you send them Einstein!?!

Cons politicize everything .. you don't get to criticize that.
That's rich.....
Especially since you're a member of the race-baiting demagogue party.

Funniest part about it is it's mostly only those of us on the outside, looking in, who are even remotely concerned with political implications.

I was a kid on the island of Kaua'i during Hurricane Iniki back in '92, also a category 4. We didn't have crazy flooding like they just did in Texas, and my family, in particular, came out pretty clean. I remember watching one of the neighbor's roofs, all in pretty much one steeple shaped chunk of framing and corrugated metal, flipping down the street like a wind blown paper bag. Anyway, a lot of peoples' homes were reduced to rubble. You know what was on everyone's mind? Picking up the pieces, figuring out how to get drinking water until the plumbing was back up, combining resources with neighbors and family so everyone had food and light. You know what wasn't on anybody's mind? What had been happening in the oval office during the eye of the hurricane making landfall. Nobody was simmering over the fact that President Bush might not have been singularly focused on us at that moment, spouting worthless comforting nothings and futile prayers for the winds to stop.

Here's another little thought. Those of you out there who are the type of political hacks who try to find some moral condemnation for Trump tweeting about anything other than the hurricane; you're all equally immoral by the same set of standards. Rather than focusing on the victims of this tragic disaster, here you are, talking politics. Shouldn't you be praying for flood victims and not bitching about some sheriff whose imprisonment or not will, in all probability, have approximately ZERO effect on you?

I do agree keep politics out of this storm conversation. I have been riding this storm out and been bless with the fact where I am at the yard is with a mini lake but nothing came into the home.

I went further down the road and homes are wiped out, businesses are wiped out, and lives are alter forever.

I have video and pics of this event and you have never seen what has happen and I pray none of you see It!

Those spitting on Trump, Congress, The Governor and The Local Politicians have done all they could.

Rita taught us that trying to evac a region this size is impossible, so the only choice was shelter in place.

Many will question that idea but let me say if those people were stuck on the road there would have been more deaths.

The Hurricane just did not do as a typical Hurricane would have done.

No one knew where the storm was going, and now it is back in the Gulf heading to Louisiana.

From Corpus to Houston region the destruction is so massive that you would freak the fuck out and it is not done and Louisiana is going to get hit with a Tropical Storm.

So as I finish I hope the idiots on this board would take a moment and realize they are spitting on lives when they wrote about this storm and the people in this storm.

No one could have imagined the destruction and our politicians, locals and even those not from here stepped up and became more when needed.

Hopefully when this is over and recover start people remember the heroes that stepped up and no matter what I will never forget...

I need some more sleep and Grandpa big all those you love and thank your lucky stars you did not ride through this storm.

God Bless Mate...

I wish you well. There are tons of relief supplies waiting in San Antonio. The logistics of delivering them are daunting. Search and rescue is top priority. Hope everybody not flooded can hang in for a few more days.

Just about a year ago my area was flooded by storm surge from a hurricane that didn't make landfall anywhere near us. It was a very minor event compared to Houstons, but more than half of the homes in my neighborhood had water in them, and the one road leading out was underwater. We were not there, and wouldn't have stayed anyway - thankfully our home did not flood and several neighbors had to take refuge from rising water at our house. Twenty four years ago the same area was flooded by surge from an unnamed spring storm and some elderly folks were lifted out by helicopter.

Parts of my neighborhood are still under repair. Delays in insurance payouts, fema regulations, county regulations and delays in permits, etc...and it is a very small area compared to yours.

I did hear that Texas has a significant disaster fund...and from all accounts this is a very, very significant disaster! When the water recedes the work begins - stay safe. Bless those who risk life and limb to rescue others!

It isnt unprecedented. People tend to blow events like thisway out of proportion. Dont get me wrong... Its bad. Its really bad. However it is not unprecedented.

Rare film shows great flood of 1935

People seem to get myopic towards events like these. They tend to transpose "the worst in my lifetime"; into "the worst ever". And seldom are the two in agreement. A lot has changed in Houston since the 1930s. There is a lot more asphalt and concrete laid down than there was back then; and that certainly isnt helping matters. But for the media, and local governance to just throw up their hands, and claim "this is unprecedented"! Is not only historically inaccurate; its also quite dangerous. For in fact a precedent had been set in the 30's. And then, just as now; the leadership took the stance that it was "unprecedented". And it wasnt true then either. These leaders should put more effort into knowing the history of the geography over which they govern. Such knowledge would aid these locales when it comes to designing future growth of large cities such as Houston. Had the leadership taken to heart the example set in the 30's; the devastation we see unfolding in 2017 might have been far less.
Hopefully the leaders of today, will do what the leaders of the 30's, and 40's did not... Learn from the past.

The flood of 35 wouldnt have happened if the Barker and Addicks reservoir been there at the time.
And the 35 storm didnt drop nearly as much rain.

You get all these people who say they aren't doing enough to prepare or fight the effects of hurricanes,yet Houston and Galveston have been working on just that for almost one hundred years in the form of seawalls and reservoirs and now mandatory water retention ponds with new construction.

Forum List

Back