#Stopthetires - There is a grassroots movement by truckers to strike on Nov 29th for 24 hours

There never was a toilet paper shortage.

There was fear and hype by the little Goebbels which cause panic buying. What a 24 hour general strike does is create a sense of what COULD happen. Even if only 20% of drivers participated, it would have a MASSIVE impact. The CCP media won't cover it, so word has to get out through alternative media.

It wouldn't make a difference.

Your Walmart does not pickup a trailer full of toilet paper and deliver it to various stores. They drop the trailer at their massive warehouses across the country and local trucks pick it up from there and do store deliveries with toilet paper and a bunch of other products. When it gets delivered to the stores, it sits in the store warehouse for several days or weeks before putting it on the shelf.

It's like when people thought they could lower gas prices by everybody not buying gasoline on a certain day. It could never work. If people need gasoline and refuse to get it on a selected Tuesday, they will buy it on Wednesday instead. Either way the gas station sells the same amount of gasoline by the end of the week or month.

Biden is not the president and there have been no bans using fracking from a guy that is not president.

That's why we're still paying only two bucks a gallon for gas. It's what Biden will do once he gets into the White House. He and Whorris both stated they want to get rid of fracking. You know......we will work it out.......

There never was a toilet paper shortage.

There was fear and hype by the little Goebbels which cause panic buying. What a 24 hour general strike does is create a sense of what COULD happen. Even if only 20% of drivers participated, it would have a MASSIVE impact. The CCP media won't cover it, so word has to get out through alternative media.

It wouldn't make a difference.

Your Walmart does not pickup a trailer full of toilet paper and deliver it to various stores. They drop the trailer at their massive warehouses across the country and local trucks pick it up from there and do store deliveries with toilet paper and a bunch of other products. When it gets delivered to the stores, it sits in the store warehouse for several days or weeks before putting it on the shelf.

It's like when people thought they could lower gas prices by everybody not buying gasoline on a certain day. It could never work. If people need gasoline and refuse to get it on a selected Tuesday, they will buy it on Wednesday instead. Either way the gas station sells the same amount of gasoline by the end of the week or month.

That's true, and besides, Walmart has company drivers who would be fired if they strike.

But that Instantpot ordered on Amazon might not get to the distribution center, the iPhone didn't get to the TMobile center, the Laptop didn't get to NewEgg, etc.

As I said, the PERCEPTION of disruption to the supply chain is the key. Hype it like toilet paper.

That's true, and besides, Walmart has company drivers who would be fired if they strike.

But that Instantpot ordered on Amazon might not get to the distribution center, the iPhone didn't get to the TMobile center, the Laptop didn't get to NewEgg, etc.

As I said, the PERCEPTION of disruption to the supply chain is the key. Hype it like toilet paper.

The only way for that to happen is if drivers all shutdown for weeks. Nobody would notice a difference in 24 hours. If you can't get your iPhone today, you'll get it tomorrow instead.

Drivers are not in solidarity like we once were many years ago. It's like when you go to a bar with a bunch of strangers. Somebody brings up politics. You will have some people supporting Trump, some people against Trump, and most of whom don't care one way or the other. I've heard and participated in a bunch of political discussions with other drivers. People end up screaming at each other to the point it's so annoying you turn off the damn CB radio.

Great idea. Worked well for air traffic controllers. :rolleyes:
Great idea. Worked well for air traffic controllers. :rolleyes:

Entirely different. These are independents. The ATC's were government employees.

I thought you were smart?
One group drives trucks the other lands planes. Lots of differences. The main one being air traffic controllers won’t be replaced by drones in 5 years. But they are/were similarly bad ideas.

Man, are you stupid beyond comprehension!

No strike. Not yet. But I still see a lot of empty shelves.

Bought any sugar-free soft drinks lately?

Some availability in big plastic bottles but only the most expensive name brands in aluminum cans. Stores blame it on a can shortage and their "in house" suppliers are only making the high-sugar drinks because the margin on them is higher than on the sugar-free varieties.

Shortage of almost any one thing has a magical way of distorting the availability of others.

Another oddity: Name-brands of some paper products are still near unavailable but "in house" brands are much more in stock. Could it be margins are better on the no-name stuff?

No strike. Not yet. But I still see a lot of empty shelves.

Bought any sugar-free soft drinks lately?

Some availability in big plastic bottles but only the most expensive name brands in aluminum cans. Stores blame it on a can shortage and their "in house" suppliers are only making the high-sugar drinks because the margin on them is higher than on the sugar-free varieties.

Shortage of almost any one thing has a magical way of distorting the availability of others.

Another oddity: Name-brands of some paper products are still near unavailable but "in house" brands are much more in stock. Could it be margins are better on the no-name stuff?

The can shortage started at the beginning of the virus when people stopped going to work, and we didn't start feeling the effects of that until months later. Most companies make several brands of beverages, and allocate their cans to their most popular drinks. My beer is Molson Canadian, and I haven't been able to buy that in cans for a month or so. New can companies are in construction right now but not expected to produce any products until after the first of the year.

Store and generic brands of paper products have a much smaller customer base than popular products. I went grocery shopping two days ago and finally seen the spay cleanser Fantastk. I haven't seen that in stores for months. Even when I ordered a gallon container from Amazon, it took them two weeks to get it to me.

Forum List

Back