ST's BP Rantings

Yeah I noticed that as well. I grew up with relatives who lived in Mandeville and the Eastbank...then moved there in 1997 to go to Loyola Law school and stayed there for 4 years. Met my wife in NOLA while she was going to Tulane architecture school. Her diamond engagement ring was bought in the French Quarter at Dixon & Dixon on Royal :)

Soooooooooo much will be lost if NOLA isn't cared for. It saddens my heart.

I think its worth preserving based solely on the fact its where the final battle for independence from Britain was won. In the school textbooks they'll tell you that the Battle of New Orleans was a pointless battle because the treaty had already been signed - that's complete BS. Most scholars agree that had Britain prevailed in that battle, having such an important location strategically, its highly unlikely they would have abided by the treaty.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I grew up with relatives who lived in Mandeville and the Eastbank...then moved there in 1997 to go to Loyola Law school and stayed there for 4 years. Met my wife in NOLA while she was going to Tulane architecture school. Her diamond engagement ring was bought in the French Quarter at Dixon & Dixon on Royal :)

Soooooooooo much will be lost if NOLA isn't cared for. It saddens my heart.

:confused:

So, are you saying the aroma of oil makes it smell worse?

EXACTLY as the good people of LA understands it when we in the North have disasters.

What "disasters" do you have in the North?

Teacher Unions?

General Motors?

Marauding Reindeer?

Tornadoes and flooding mostly.

Tornados and Flooding happen everywhere.

I'm looking for something REALLY disasterous, like, Godzilla Eating a City, or a Martian Invasion, or Irish Immigrants.

Tornados and Flooding happen everywhere.

I'm looking for something REALLY disasterous, like, Godzilla Eating a City, or a Martian Invasion, or Irish Immigrants.

Worst thing I can think of is Obama is in the White House.

While I agree that the Federal Government is a Monumental Disaster, Washington D.C. really isn't in the North.

True, but it does affect us nationwide.

Worst thing I can think of is Obama is in the White House.

While I agree that the Federal Government is a Monumental Disaster, Washington D.C. really isn't in the North.

True, but it does affect us nationwide.

Thus, it is not a NORTHERN Disaster.

Let's just agree that disasters in the North are pretty damn rare: No Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Volcanoes.....the best you can do is claim Washington D.C., which was specifically located between the North and South.

So discussing how sympathetic Southerners may be to "Northern Disasters" is a little ridiculous.

Oh so now we're whining about how the North is 'disaster free'?

Let's see, heat waves, cold snaps, blizzards, Tornadoes, lots of floods... still can get earthquakes occasionally, forest fires, though we have tempered that back some.

But nope.... no disasters up here worth bitching about. :rolleyes:

Oh so now we're whining about how the North is 'disaster free'?

Let's see, heat waves, cold snaps, blizzards, Tornadoes, lots of floods... still can get earthquakes occasionally, forest fires, though we have tempered that back some.

But nope.... no disasters up here worth bitching about. :rolleyes:

OMG: "cold snaps?" In the North!!!:eek::eek:

Correct: Really, nothing

EXACTLY as the good people of LA understands it when we in the North have disasters.

Teacher Unions?

General Motors?

Marauding Reindeer?

LOL.

Adide from the same kind of things you southerners deal with, floods, hurricanes and the occassional tornado, try coping witha house without heat or electicity for a week or two when the outside temperature is ten below zero sometime.

Try dealing with five feet os snow blow around until the drifts can cover your entire house.

Yeah, mother nature likes to mess with us, too.

You'll start to get it, then

All I can say is we may not have hurricanes. We may not have a city sinking into a bay. And we may not have earthquakes here where I am. BUT having to shovel snow for almost 4 months out of a year is no picnic.

how many living below Virginia have had to deal with winter temperatures that are routinely in the single farenheit digits? or had to handle windchill factors well below -20 F? This last winter we had 23 inches of snow and then two days later another 15 on top of it. And where I live is light compared to some areas a bit further north...

You guys get hurricanes... Hurricanes they track and watch develop days, weeks, even months in advance, and have time to prepare. A tornado pops up in minutes with no more warning than that much of the time.

When I was about 10 years old I remember a tornado came through my town. I was outside playing baseball and then it got dark and calm. My dad came out and told me to get to the basement a tornado was coming. THen I heard the sirens we had in town for warnings. I ran to the basement and within minutes the sound of a train coming through our yard scared the crap out of me. We all hid and stayed quiet and scared for the next few minutes. Then it was suddenly just as calm as it was before the storm. We went outside to find our neighbors house on the left was gone, and the neighbor on the right was leveled to the ground.

The freaky part was, my bike was still sitting by the tree where I left it. imagine, the entire neighborhood looked like someone just came through and randomly smashed this house and left that one... It's insanity. I never forgot that....

As I said we don't have the same kinds of disasters, but we have them just the same...

Teacher Unions?

General Motors?

Marauding Reindeer?

LOL.

Adide from the same kind of things you southerners deal with, floods, hurricanes and the occassional tornado, try coping witha house without heat or electicity for a week or two when the outside temperature is ten below zero sometime.

Try dealing with five feet os snow blow around until the drifts can cover your entire house.

Yeah, mother nature likes to mess with us, too.

You'll start to get it, then

Hurricanes? When was the last time a hurricane hit Cleveland?

And, as far as snow is concerned, I'd think that, living Buffalo, NY, snow wouldn't be considered a "disaster.'

Technically the last hurricane level storm that hit the great lakes was in 1940, known as the Armistice Day Storm. Considered the 4th most powerful storm on the great lakes ever. There was also Black Monday on Lake Erie in I believe 1873. One of the most destructive storms in terms of lives lost. The 1913 Lake Huron Storm which sank 11 steel long ships and 3 of which with no survivors, driving over 20 ashore.

Yes, I am a hobbyist great lakes historian in regards to shipping and disasters. The hurricane level storm that sank Big Fitz in 1975 was not hurricane level on Lake Erie, but sure was on Lake superior.

So, yes, we DO get hurricanes up here. Very localized in comparison is all and not so seasonal. About one every 20-30 years. Oh, and we tend to mix our "Hurricanes" with blizzards up here.

Forum List

Back