ST's BP Rantings

Technically the last hurricane level storm that hit the great lakes was in 1940, known as the Armistice Day Storm. Considered the 4th most powerful storm on the great lakes ever. There was also Black Monday on Lake Erie in I believe 1873. One of the most destructive storms in terms of lives lost. The 1913 Lake Huron Storm which sank 11 steel long ships and 3 of which with no survivors, driving over 20 ashore.

Yes, I am a hobbyist great lakes historian in regards to shipping and disasters. The hurricane level storm that sank Big Fitz in 1975 was not hurricane level on Lake Erie, but sure was on Lake superior.

So, yes, we DO get hurricanes up here. Very localized in comparison is all and not so seasonal. About one every 20-30 years. Oh, and we tend to mix our "Hurricanes" with blizzards up here.

So, that's all you got?

Look I'm sure you've had a couple of really bad storms during the past 200 years, and a couple of ships sank, and it made people sad.

But I'm talking DISASTER here: Something that displaced hundreds of thousands of people and caused tens of BILLIONS of damage.

Tornadoes.... Big bad swirling windstorms.. I mentioned them in my post...

Tornado_Alley.gif

THey form in minutes and sometimes with out any more warning than a few minutes....

Tornadoes....Nature's Most Violent Storms

Although tornadoes occur in many parts of the world, these destructive forces of nature are found most frequently in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains during the spring and summer months. In an average year, 800 tornadoes are reported nationwide, resulting in 80 deaths and over 1,500 injuries. A tornado is defined as a violently rotating column of air extending from a thunderstorm to the ground. The most violent tornadoes are capable of tremendous destruction with wind speeds of 250 mph or more. Damage paths can be in excess of one mile wide and 50 miles long. Once a tornado in Broken Bow, Oklahoma, carried a motel sign 30 miles and dropped it in Arkansas!...

its nothing to see ten or more of these things a year in the spring.....

Technically the last hurricane level storm that hit the great lakes was in 1940, known as the Armistice Day Storm. Considered the 4th most powerful storm on the great lakes ever. There was also Black Monday on Lake Erie in I believe 1873. One of the most destructive storms in terms of lives lost. The 1913 Lake Huron Storm which sank 11 steel long ships and 3 of which with no survivors, driving over 20 ashore.

Yes, I am a hobbyist great lakes historian in regards to shipping and disasters. The hurricane level storm that sank Big Fitz in 1975 was not hurricane level on Lake Erie, but sure was on Lake superior.

So, yes, we DO get hurricanes up here. Very localized in comparison is all and not so seasonal. About one every 20-30 years. Oh, and we tend to mix our "Hurricanes" with blizzards up here.

So, that's all you got?

Look I'm sure you've had a couple of really bad storms during the past 200 years, and a couple of ships sank, and it made people sad.

But I'm talking DISASTER here: Something that displaced hundreds of thousands of people and caused tens of BILLIONS of damage.
hummm... other than say the Johnstown Flood which the south would probably claim anyway... I can't think of something were so many northerners were that collectively stupid.

Tens of billions in damage? Red River flood in 2007 I believe was the year. Grand Forks Flood in the 1990's. The Great Upper Mississippi Flood of 1993. Dozens of different tornados have deleted small towns to the tunes of hundreds of millions and a few dozen lives lost at most.

Oh wait. Here ya go How could I ever forget? The deadliest forest fire in US history. over 2000 killed.

Peshtigo Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Love this little tidbit:

The fire was so intense it jumped several miles over the waters of Green Bay and burned parts of the Door Peninsula, as well as jumping the Peshtigo River itself to burn on both sides of the inlet town. Surviving witnesses reported that the firestorm generated a tornado that threw rail cars and houses into the air. Many of the survivors of the firestorm escaped the flames by immersing themselves in the Peshtigo River, wells, or other nearby bodies of water. Some drowned while others froze to death in the frigid river.

What they don't mention is that fireballs were thrown 5 miles out into Lake Michigan. Entire families were found boiled and suffocated in their wells and that people died of infra red radiation baking their exposed bodies in the water in the brief moments they came up from the river for air.

Yeah, nothing much else beyond that though that killed hundreds. We seem to be pretty self reliant that way I guess, and pick up the pieces pretty quietly afterward.

But for sheer :wtf: WTF factor there's always THIS one:

Jan 15th, 1919 the Boston Molasses Spill

Boston Molasses Disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, that's all you got?

hummm... other than say the Johnstown Flood which the south would probably claim anyway... I can't think of something were so many northerners were that collectively stupid.

Tens of billions in damage? Red River flood in 2007 I believe was the year. Grand Forks Flood in the 1990's. The Great Upper Mississippi Flood of 1993. Dozens of different tornados have deleted small towns to the tunes of hundreds of millions and a few dozen lives lost at most.

Oh wait. Here ya go How could I ever forget? The deadliest forest fire in US history. over 2000 killed.

Peshtigo Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Love this little tidbit:

The fire was so intense it jumped several miles over the waters of Green Bay and burned parts of the Door Peninsula, as well as jumping the Peshtigo River itself to burn on both sides of the inlet town. Surviving witnesses reported that the firestorm generated a tornado that threw rail cars and houses into the air. Many of the survivors of the firestorm escaped the flames by immersing themselves in the Peshtigo River, wells, or other nearby bodies of water. Some drowned while others froze to death in the frigid river.

What they don't mention is that fireballs were thrown 5 miles out into Lake Michigan. Entire families were found boiled and suffocated in their wells and that people died of infra red radiation baking their exposed bodies in the water in the brief moments they came up from the river for air.

Yeah, nothing much else beyond that though that killed hundreds. We seem to be pretty self reliant that way I guess, and pick up the pieces pretty quietly afterward.

But for sheer :wtf: WTF factor there's always THIS one:

Jan 15th, 1919 the Boston Molasses Spill

Boston Molasses Disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the 1995 Chicago heat wave which killed hundreds.

Tornadoes.... Big bad swirling windstorms.. I mentioned them in my post...

its nothing to see ten or more of these things a year in the spring.....

You're map shows that tornados happen more often in the South.

Therefore, as far as "Northern Disasters" are concerned, let's remove tornados from the list.

This leaves snow, and molassas spills.

I'd suggest lighting Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, or NYC on fire more often so ya'll can catch up.

There has been some truly hateful, despicable behavior in this thread.

1. they myth of a majority of new orleans being lazy, handout lovers is fucking retarded and rednecky.

2. the idea that new orleans isn't worth saving is fucking retarded and rednecky.

3. the comment that new orleans can't be saved is fucking retarded and rednecky AND not true.

We're here to support you NOLA. We love you and care about your survival.

P.S. Anyone watching Treme on HBO? Love that show.

It is my belief that the bulk of the people who like to talk shit about New Orleans do so, because they are secretly jealous that they live in a boring/shitty part of the country.

"Ayup! Fuck New Orleans! Ayup! Stupid people that don't got no sense to not live below sea level! Ayup! Them are just too dumb to make it anywhere but a city full of crime, homos, and hurricanes! Ayup! They couldn't make it here in Aardmore, Oklahoma where we count our toes and fuck goats for fun on the weekend! Ayup!"

Treme is pretty good. They do a good job of catching the nuance of the city after the Hurricane, though Steve Zahn's character is frigging annoying. That being said, I haven't seen the last couple of shows. Maybe they toned him down.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that as well. I grew up with relatives who lived in Mandeville and the Eastbank...then moved there in 1997 to go to Loyola Law school and stayed there for 4 years. Met my wife in NOLA while she was going to Tulane architecture school. Her diamond engagement ring was bought in the French Quarter at Dixon & Dixon on Royal :)

Soooooooooo much will be lost if NOLA isn't cared for. It saddens my heart.

She was in the architecture school and they let her out of prison long enough to have a social life?

That's a rare find. Most of my friends who were architects looked like vampires and suffered from severe cases of osteomalacia.

Oh so now we're whining about how the North is 'disaster free'?

Let's see, heat waves, cold snaps, blizzards, Tornadoes, lots of floods... still can get earthquakes occasionally, forest fires, though we have tempered that back some.

But nope.... no disasters up here worth bitching about. :rolleyes:

Not quite the same as a bunch of dead bodies in attacks or bloated and floating down the street.

All I can say is we may not have hurricanes. We may not have a city sinking into a bay. And we may not have earthquakes here where I am. BUT having to shovel snow for almost 4 months out of a year is no picnic.

how many living below Virginia have had to deal with winter temperatures that are routinely in the single farenheit digits? or had to handle windchill factors well below -20 F? This last winter we had 23 inches of snow and then two days later another 15 on top of it. And where I live is light compared to some areas a bit further north...

You guys get hurricanes... Hurricanes they track and watch develop days, weeks, even months in advance, and have time to prepare. A tornado pops up in minutes with no more warning than that much of the time.

When I was about 10 years old I remember a tornado came through my town. I was outside playing baseball and then it got dark and calm. My dad came out and told me to get to the basement a tornado was coming. THen I heard the sirens we had in town for warnings. I ran to the basement and within minutes the sound of a train coming through our yard scared the crap out of me. We all hid and stayed quiet and scared for the next few minutes. Then it was suddenly just as calm as it was before the storm. We went outside to find our neighbors house on the left was gone, and the neighbor on the right was leveled to the ground.

The freaky part was, my bike was still sitting by the tree where I left it. imagine, the entire neighborhood looked like someone just came through and randomly smashed this house and left that one... It's insanity. I never forgot that....

As I said we don't have the same kinds of disasters, but we have them just the same...

Like I said. Not quite the same thing as boats going around and fishing dead bodies out of eddies that used to be cul de sacs.

Probably didn't have a lot of houses with spray painted X's on them identifying how many bodies were inside.

All I can say is we may not have hurricanes. We may not have a city sinking into a bay. And we may not have earthquakes here where I am. BUT having to shovel snow for almost 4 months out of a year is no picnic.

how many living below Virginia have had to deal with winter temperatures that are routinely in the single farenheit digits? or had to handle windchill factors well below -20 F? This last winter we had 23 inches of snow and then two days later another 15 on top of it. And where I live is light compared to some areas a bit further north...

You guys get hurricanes... Hurricanes they track and watch develop days, weeks, even months in advance, and have time to prepare. A tornado pops up in minutes with no more warning than that much of the time.

When I was about 10 years old I remember a tornado came through my town. I was outside playing baseball and then it got dark and calm. My dad came out and told me to get to the basement a tornado was coming. THen I heard the sirens we had in town for warnings. I ran to the basement and within minutes the sound of a train coming through our yard scared the crap out of me. We all hid and stayed quiet and scared for the next few minutes. Then it was suddenly just as calm as it was before the storm. We went outside to find our neighbors house on the left was gone, and the neighbor on the right was leveled to the ground.

The freaky part was, my bike was still sitting by the tree where I left it. imagine, the entire neighborhood looked like someone just came through and randomly smashed this house and left that one... It's insanity. I never forgot that....

As I said we don't have the same kinds of disasters, but we have them just the same...

Like I said. Not quite the same thing as boats going around and fishing dead bodies out of eddies that used to be cul de sacs.

Probably didn't have a lot of houses with spray painted X's on them identifying how many bodies were inside.

There wouldn't have been that many dead bodies if they would have been smart enough to evacuate!

But I suppose it's Bush's fault.

There wouldn't have been that many dead bodies if they would have been smart enough to evacuate!

Evacuate with what? Their feet? You're a fucking moron, piss off.

What are you ....a fucking idiot? What about your pal Nagin's evacuation plan...that he NEVER IMPLEMENTED!!!!!

If your going to be a fucktard at least be an honest one.

What are you ....a fucking idiot? What about your pal Nagin's evacuation plan...that he NEVER IMPLEMENTED!!!!!

If your going to be a fucktard at least be an honest one.

Uhhh, OK. Would you mind explaining to me how people were supposed to evacuate using a plan that was never put into action?

Whistleblower Claims That BP Was Aware Of Cheating On Blowout Preventer Tests
Mike Mason, who worked on oil rigs in Alaska for 18 years, says that he observed cheating on blowout preventer tests at least 100 times, including on many wells owned by BP.

BP is a criminal corporation.

Obama's administration APPROVED the rig in question for NOT being inspected. So If BP is criminal guess who is backing them up from the Government?

I don't believe anything you post.

Precisely my point....irresponsible lazy asses don't make good mayors. When people see the left defending this joke of a mayor and the governor all the rest of the country does is laugh at them. There was an evacuation plan in place..there is no refuting this point. Don't get upset at someone who points out your city's fuck up government...it makes everyone laugh at you.

Forum List

Back