ST's BP Rantings

The government only pays to clean up if the responsible parties cannot pay.

I'm fine with the government chipping it - AFTER we've taken BP apart and sold it to the highest bidder.

WRONG. The government pays when the lawyers say they pay....we have laws remember? Even when the lawyers bring up the fact that the government engineer on the rig gave FINAL APPROVAL FOR DRILLING OPERATIONS TO START the government will have already begun to appropriate money...your tax dollars...to clean up this mess. BP will survive intact...just like Exxon did.

Four classes of parties, termed "potential responsible parties," may be liable for contamination at a Superfund site:

* the current owner or operator of the site;[5]
* the owner or operator of a site at the time that disposal of a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant occurred;[6]
* a person who arranged for the disposal of a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant at a site;[7] and
* a person who transported a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant to a site; that transporter must have also selected that site for the disposal of the hazardous substances, pollutants or contaminants.[8]
Do you know what the term "liable" means?

I'm fine with the government chipping it - AFTER we've taken BP apart and sold it to the highest bidder.

WRONG. The government pays when the lawyers say they pay....we have laws remember? Even when the lawyers bring up the fact that the government engineer on the rig gave FINAL APPROVAL FOR DRILLING OPERATIONS TO START the government will have already begun to appropriate money...your tax dollars...to clean up this mess. BP will survive intact...just like Exxon did.

Four classes of parties, termed "potential responsible parties," may be liable for contamination at a Superfund site:

* the owner or operator of a site at the time that disposal of a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant occurred;[6]
* a person who arranged for the disposal of a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant at a site;[7] and
* a person who transported a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant to a site; that transporter must have also selected that site for the disposal of the hazardous substances, pollutants or contaminants.[8]

Do you know what the term "negligence" means? Hint: When a government engineer gives final approval to drill and he hasn't reviewed safety and test data to make an informed decision.
Wake the fuck up!!!!

The Gulf of Mexico isn't an abandoned hazardous waste site.

Nope, I'm not gonna spoon feed you. You go find the answer for yourself.
:clap2::clap2::clap2: Brilliant retort! You sure proved me wrong!

It may not abdicate their responsibility, but it will mitigate it. If we are gonna play the 'blame' game, let's play it fairly.
Are you just making up the law as you go along?

I haven't proved you anything. All I said was that you need to find information for yourself. Any source I give you, you will dismiss. Therefore, you have to go find it for yourself. That way, you can discover the facts for yourself - like I do - instead of picking up left wing talking points and just running with them.

I don't make up the law. The law is what it is. Fact: more than one party can be held liable. That may - or may not - include the US Government. I don't pretend to be a lawyer.... unlike you.

Do you know what the term "negligence" means? Hint: When a government engineer gives final approval to drill and he hasn't reviewed safety and test data to make an informed decision.
Wake the fuck up!!!!

Yeah, sorry, the government isn't liable. That's not what the law says. You can't just make it up dude!
Specifically, CERCLA was intended to address the damage presented at waste disposal sites where releases or threatened releases of contaminants had occurred and traditional negligence theories did not provide a basis for recovery against the parties responsible for placing the hazardous substances in the environment.[1] CERCLA imposes strict liability upon: (i) the current owner or operator of a facility from which there has been a release or threatened release of a hazardous substance; (ii) any person who owned or operated a facility at the time the hazardous substances were disposed; (iii)any person who, by contract, agreement or otherwise arranged for the disposal or treatment of a hazardous substance or arranged with a transporter for transport for disposal or treatment of a hazardous substance; and (iv) any person who transported the hazardous substance to a facility from which there has been a release or threatened release.[2] The reasoning behind CERCLA strict liability is to shift the cost of the necessary environmental response from taxpayers to the parties who benefited from the intentional use of such sites.[3]
http://www.natlawreview.com/article...-toxic-tort-cases-superfund-rules-don-t-apply

I love it how all the big government haters now think its government's responsibility to ensure the safe operation of a PRIVATE company.

Last edited:

Wake the fuck up!!!!

Yeah, sorry, the government isn't liable. That's not what the law says. You can't just make it up dude!
Specifically, CERCLA was intended to address the damage presented at waste disposal sites where releases or threatened releases of contaminants had occurred and traditional negligence theories did not provide a basis for recovery against the parties responsible for placing the hazardous substances in the environment.[1] CERCLA imposes strict liability upon: (i) the current owner or operator of a facility from which there has been a release or threatened release of a hazardous substance; (ii) any person who owned or operated a facility at the time the hazardous substances were disposed; (iii)any person who, by contract, agreement or otherwise arranged for the disposal or treatment of a hazardous substance or arranged with a transporter for transport for disposal or treatment of a hazardous substance; and (iv) any person who transported the hazardous substance to a facility from which there has been a release or threatened release.[2] The reasoning behind CERCLA strict liability is to shift the cost of the necessary environmental response from taxpayers to the parties who benefited from the intentional use of such sites.[3]
Making the Case for Causation in Toxic Tort Cases: Superfund Rules Don?t Apply | The National Law Review

I love it how all the big government haters now think its government's responsibility to ensure the safe operation of a PRIVATE company.

Sorry dumb ass....this has got nothing to do with the rig explosion in the Gulf.

Engage brain before flapping gums.

Spidey, I have been reading up on this site for a while and this is my first post. I am fairly liberal on somethings and I do think that BP should take responsibility for the clean up cost and some other economical costs. They have yet to say they are not going to do that. My question to you is why would you think that the whistleblowers and government oversight not be just as responsible? Because it sounds to me that you have a double standard here. How can you expect to avoid incidents like this in the future if you do not hold both parties accountable?

But...but... corporations never do harm....but.....but......the markets will make them do things correctly.......but......government regulations hinder business....but....but.....:eusa_whistle:

but don't you know,. someone in the government screws up, its Obama's fault. Somebody does good in the governmnet, it has nothing to do with Obama, dishonest fucks

But...but... corporations never do harm....but.....but......the markets will make them do things correctly.......but......government regulations hinder business....but....but.....:eusa_whistle:

But ... But...government inspectors can ignore their responsibility and not have to worry about anything....but but....we need more regulations and more inspectors to flout their responsibility...:eusa_whistle:

Its funny how none of the zillions of lawyers swarming around the spill have realized yet that they should be suing the government. I guess you know more about law than they do.

It will happen...watch and see.

If it hasn't by now I would doubt it will. THe lawyers were filing suits on this one before a drop of oil touched the coast. There's also the thing called the "law"

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey where does it say anything about the government?

So you have gone from denying the Government authorized the oil rig to begin drilling without proper inspections to now claiming the Government is not to blame for failing to do its job properly. I got that about right?

Tell me moron, when you though Bush was to blame did you blame him for the spill? Your buddies have, they have posted numerous links to claims that under Bush inspections were lessened or not required.

but don't you know,. someone in the government screws up, its Obama's fault. Somebody does good in the governmnet, it has nothing to do with Obama, dishonest fucks

but don't you know,. someone in the government screws up, it was Bush's fault. Somebody did good in the governmnet, it has nothing to do with Bush, dishonest fucks.

Kinda sucks being on the receiving end now...doesn't it?

Spidey, I have been reading up on this site for a while and this is my first post. I am fairly liberal on somethings and I do think that BP should take responsibility for the clean up cost and some other economical costs. They have yet to say they are not going to do that. My question to you is why would you think that the whistleblowers and government oversight not be just as responsible? Because it sounds to me that you have a double standard here. How can you expect to avoid incidents like this in the future if you do not hold both parties accountable?

:lol::lol: Welcome to the rabid right, because your well thought out, reasoned response will be labeled 'right wing whackjob'.

My point - BP have said they will bear the cost of clean up and they will pay all legitimate claims for compensation. Exactly what more are they supposed to do?

According to the drooling lefties, we should illegally seize their company (a foreign owned business) and sell their assets.

I'm still waiting for Spidey to dare to go find out who signed off the drilling on behalf of the United States. He is SO not gonna like the answer.

It will happen...watch and see.

If it hasn't by now I would doubt it will. THe lawyers were filing suits on this one before a drop of oil touched the coast. There's also the thing called the "law"

Superfund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey where does it say anything about the government?

So you have gone from denying the Government authorized the oil rig to begin drilling without proper inspections to now claiming the Government is not to blame for failing to do its job properly. I got that about right?

Tell me moron, when you though Bush was to blame did you blame him for the spill? Your buddies have, they have posted numerous links to claims that under Bush inspections were lessened or not required.

You got it right...I handed him his ass again. Right now he's scouring his left wing loon sites looking for more ammo to back up his claims....but he will fail.

:lol::lol: Welcome to the rabid right, because your well thought out, reasoned response will be labeled 'right wing whackjob'.

My point - BP have said they will bear the cost of clean up and they will pay all legitimate claims for compensation. Exactly what more are they supposed to do?

According to the drooling lefties, we should illegally seize their company (a foreign owned business) and sell their assets.

I'm still waiting for Spidey to dare to go find out who signed off the drilling on behalf of the United States. He is SO not gonna like the answer.

I already pointed that out to him....that's why he smashed his keyboard.

They have yet to say they are not going to do that.
LOL!
My question to you is why would you think that the whistleblowers and government oversight not be just as responsible? Because it sounds to me that you have a double standard here.

Its not a double standard. The government was not the owner or operator of the rig. If you don't see how its relevant who actually owns and operates the rig - then I don't know what to tell you! A failure of government to properly inspect is no license to violate regulation, sorry!

How can you expect to avoid incidents like this in the future if you do not hold both parties accountable?
Both parties accountable or liable? There's a difference.

A failure of government to properly inspect is no license to violate regulation, sorry!

Then why do you insist on another 10,000 pages of regulations on corporations if you aren't going to enforce them?

and you got your priorities all fucked up...(like we didn't know that) when a company does testing and the tests FAIL...it's the government INSPECTORS JOB TO REVIEW ALL RECORDS TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS!!!!!

That engineer will be called before Congress to testify...watch and see.

A failure of government to properly inspect is no license to violate regulation, sorry!

Then why do you insist on another 10,000 pages of regulations on corporations if you aren't going to enforce them?

and you got your priorities all fucked up...(like we didn't know that) when a company does testing and the tests FAIL...it's the government INSPECTORS JOB TO REVIEW ALL RECORDS TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS!!!!!

That engineer will be called before Congress to testify...watch and see.

I honestly prefer litigation to regulation.

Forum List

Back