🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Study Says Concealed Carry Permits Don't Affect Crime

Brain357

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2013

The study published in the Journal of Criminology looked at the connection between crime rates and concealed handgun permits for each county in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

Researchers used two sources of data from 1998 to 2010: concealed handgun license information and arrest data from Uniform Crime Reports, which the FBI compiles nationwide to gauge arrests for serious crimes including homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, theft and arson.

Overall, they found no connection between allowing concealed weapons and crime rates, which are trending downward nationwide.

“The idea that concealed handguns lead to less crime is at the center of much firearms legislation, but the science behind that conclusion has been murky,” said study lead Charles D. Phillips, an emeritus regents professor at the Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, in a statement. “The results have been so inconclusive that the National Academy of Sciences in 2004 called for a new approaches to studying the issue, which is what we’ve done with this research.”

Study: Concealed Handgun Permits Don't Affect Crime Rate

The study published in the Journal of Criminology looked at the connection between crime rates and concealed handgun permits for each county in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida and Texas.

Researchers used two sources of data from 1998 to 2010: concealed handgun license information and arrest data from Uniform Crime Reports, which the FBI compiles nationwide to gauge arrests for serious crimes including homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, theft and arson.

Overall, they found no connection between allowing concealed weapons and crime rates, which are trending downward nationwide.

“The idea that concealed handguns lead to less crime is at the center of much firearms legislation, but the science behind that conclusion has been murky,” said study lead Charles D. Phillips, an emeritus regents professor at the Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, in a statement. “The results have been so inconclusive that the National Academy of Sciences in 2004 called for a new approaches to studying the issue, which is what we’ve done with this research.”

BFD Now go ask some that had his or hers life saved,happens all the time.

Tell that to those who have defended themselves or their loved ones with a firearm.
The very fact that this happens daily makes his conclusion false right out of the gate.

Numbers don't lie. Fact is defenses do not happen very often, and many that do aren't lawful. Also with more concealed carry comes more armed criminals. At best more concealed carry and more armed criminals balance each other out. But many studies show it does not lower crime.

If it did I would know somebody, I do not. It is very rare. Some defenders are killed in the shootout with criminals.

Affect what happens if you become a victim of crime. :) May not prevent it, but they might affect what then happens.

Tell that to those who have defended themselves or their loved ones with a firearm.
The very fact that this happens daily makes his conclusion false right out of the gate.

Numbers don't lie. Fact is defenses do not happen very often, and many that do aren't lawful. Also with more concealed carry comes more armed criminals. At best more concealed carry and more armed criminals balance each other out. But many studies show it does not lower crime.

If someone stops one crime with a gun it lowers crime.

Gonna prefer panic-dialing 911 when someone mugs you or otherwise poses a physical threat, or pull a weapon?

While my gun days are happily behind me, I have numerous improvised weapons readily at hand. Especially in the head, our most vulnerable area in our homes.

You almost gotta laugh. The lead researcher, Texas A&M professor Charles Phillips, claims "the science is murky and the results are inconclusive". Yet it's all the anti 2nd Amendment radicals have so they are going to ride with it and pretend it's important.

We have by far the most guns and concealed carry in the world. Yet our crime rates are far from the lowest. Concealed carry does not effect crime rates.

You almost gotta laugh. The lead researcher, Texas A&M professor Charles Phillips, claims "the science is murky and the results are inconclusive". Yet it's all the anti 2nd Amendment radicals have so they are going to ride with it and pretend it's important.

He is saying that of studies that concluded it lowers crime.

Gonna prefer panic-dialing 911 when someone mugs you or otherwise poses a physical threat, or pull a weapon?

While my gun days are happily behind me, I have numerous improvised weapons readily at hand. Especially in the head, our most vulnerable area in our homes.

What does that have to do with the studies findings?

Concealed carry laws protect citizens. Unfortunately, it only works if you let the crooks know that you carry concealed. That is why i walk around with a sign on my chest reading, "I am a no crime zone. You can't see it, but I have a gun hidden on me." it really works! I have not been held up at the point of a gun all my life! Unfortunately, I can't enter government buildings and airports and such.....

We have by far the most guns and concealed carry in the world. Yet our crime rates are far from the lowest. Concealed carry does not effect crime rates.
^^

Idiot logic.

Concealed carry laws protect citizens. Unfortunately, it only works if you let the crooks know that you carry concealed. That is why i walk around with a sign on my chest reading, "I am a no crime zone. You can't see it, but I have a gun hidden on me." it really works! I have not been held up at the point of a gun all my life! Unfortunately, I can't enter government buildings and airports and such.....

Hmmm... Strangely I don't carry nor have sign and haven't been held up either.

I just exercised situational-awareness and don't put myself into positions or scenarios personal defense becomes an issue. Seems to me most CC people are total dickheads who think they're entitled to be a dick anywhere they please, and if anyone takes exception that's ok they have a gun.

If it did I would know somebody, I do not. It is very rare. Some defenders are killed in the shootout with criminals.
Ya ok run with that

Ya ok run with that

Why would crime go down? According to the gun nuts the criminal is almost never shot at and runs free without the crime even being reported. There is no incentive for crime to go down. A criminal is twice as likely to accidently shoot and kill himself than to be shot and killed during a crime.

Forum List

Back