Zone1 Suggestion for new subforum

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
Could we have a new subforum for “Elderly Issues”? Many of us are in our 50s and 60s, with parents in their 80s and 90s, and dealing with challenges such as assisted living arrangements, dementia and other old-age health concerns, difficult personalities, massive financial expenses at this stage of life, and so forth.

Could we have a new subforum for “Elderly Issues”? Many of us are in our 50s and 60s, with parents in their 80s and 90s, and dealing with challenges such as assisted living arrangements, dementia and other old-age health concerns, difficult personalities, massive financial expenses at this stage of life, and so forth.
We have the political forum which is all about the dino elites ruling over us

confused-biden.jpg

Is that not enough?

A good suggestion. I will second it. Welcome to the Sandwich generation. I picked my son up at 4:30 this morning, from his job. Today, at 2:00 PM I have to take my Mom to the grocery store. This is a typical day for me. I have to find a way to make a living in between all these responsibilities. Nursing home stays, Home Health Care, dealing with Hospice, thankfully, I don't have to worry about financial matters due to the tremendous foresight of generations before me.

But this shit is hard. I have a son with severe agoraphobia, he lived with me for two years and then he drugged himself up and moved to his own apartment. He works from home, and makes damn good money. But I still have to take him stuff on almost a daily basis. Another son, no car, but a killer blue collar job, so I am his taxi, to and from work. Both of them will hit six figures next year, but they are still dependent on me to do the "leg work".

Then there is Mom. Over 80, can't drive, so there are grocery store trips, doctor visits, and of course, dealing with health issues like her recent broken hip, from playing damn pickleball. I recently lost my father, after years of 24 hour home health care. Thankfully, I have siblings that help tremendously. So, I am blessed, but it is still damn hard.

A sub-forum that will allow us to share our experiences, provide input into dealing with the beau acracy that plagues this component of our society, could be the most important sub-forum on this site.

OK, this is getting too real now. My hip hurts like a MoFo.
Sure. but how many pills do you have to take? WD40 does not work on a stiff shoulder, no matter what your grandmother used to say.

No, a forum where we can get advice and insights for our elderly parents. MUST you be contrary on everything?
We both know what would happen. When discussing insights and advice for old folks, the majority will be discussion of medical problems. What do you think a discussion about medical problems will look like?

At 63 ... there are age-related issues that pop up from time to time. It would be good to speak with others in the same age category to get ideas, remedies, fixes, etc. I'm still very spry and energetic (thanks to a proper diet). I used to belong to a prepper/survivalist forum where discussions of this nature were commonplace. I think it's a good idea.

We both know what would happen. When discussing insights and advice for old folks, the majority will be discussion of medical problems. What do you think a discussion about medical problems will look like?
Advice and suggestions from posters who have placed their parent in AL and/or navigated the challenges of cognitive decline in their loved ones.

Why are you so short on empathy?

Why do you care what others may or may not discuss? If you don't want to participate in the discussion or if it bores you ... then hightail it to another thread. Easy Peasy!

But be grateful that the forum is there when you reach an age where it may be of more value to you.

Advice and suggestions from posters who have placed their parent in AL and/or navigated the challenges of cognitive decline in their loved ones.

Why are you so short on empathy?
I have all the empathy in the world. My own mother is 94 years old. You didn't suggest a forum specifically for nursing homes. I ask again, what do you think a discussion forum about old folks problems will look like?

Why do you care what others may or may not discuss? If you don't want to participate in the discussion or if it bores you ... then hightail it to another thread. Easy Peasy!

But be grateful that the forum is there when you reach an age where it may be of more value to you.
To be clear, I'm all for the idea. I just don't see it working as the OP suggests. You've read some of the board. What do you think the end result would look like?

To be clear, I'm all for the idea. I just don't see it working as the OP suggests. You've read some of the board. What do you think the end result would look like?
It would look like this thread did. People who have no stake in the discussion doing their best to derail the thread for no good or apparent reason. But there does seem to be a few threads that are designed for civil discussion. So as long as an "elderly" thread is moderated ... it might work out fine.

Last edited:
Well, as of two years ago, my dad is officially a cranky old man, so . . . let's not talk about him.

There. Got my Elder subforum contribution out of the way.

I have all the empathy in the world. My own mother is 94 years old. You didn't suggest a forum specifically for nursing homes. I ask again, what do you think a discussion forum about old folks problems will look like?
No, I suggested a forum specifically for those of us dealing with elderly parents. I hope the discussion will involve tips and suggestions for navigating the choice for AL arrangements and parental dementia. We can learn from those of us who went this path.

Or….we can devote all our time to insulting people who vote for Trump. Why are you so supportive of THAT, and yet try to squelch the idea of a supportive forum for those of us in this challenging stage of life?

No, I suggested a forum specifically for those of us dealing with elderly parents. I hope the discussion will involve tips and suggestions for navigating the choice for AL arrangements and parental dementia. We can learn from those of us who went this path.

Or….we can devote all our time to insulting people who vote for Trump. Why are you so supportive of THAT, and yet try to squelch the idea of a supportive forum for those of us in this challenging stage of life?
I already said I support the idea of a forum. What more do you want?

Forum List

Back