🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Support basic competancy test for firearms ownership?

Can buy all the cars you like if you have the money. But you can't actually drive any of them without a license. So why not somethin gsimilar for firearms ownership? Wanna own a weapon fine, but you have to demonstrate basic competancy first. Safe handling, disassembly and cleaning, basic marksmenship.
This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Unlike possessing a firearm, there is no Constitutional right to own a car.

Can buy all the cars you like if you have the money. But you can't actually drive any of them without a license. So why not somethin gsimilar for firearms ownership? Wanna own a weapon fine, but you have to demonstrate basic competancy first. Safe handling, disassembly and cleaning, basic marksmenship.

Absolutely.

Simple, basic common sense that any objective person would agree to.

It's also something that most people blinkered and brainwashed by politics will refuse to admit is obvious.

btw what compels you to believe that criminals

would obey licensing and training laws

For the same reason a lot of criminals have a driving license - because they face arrest for not doing so.

It might also help if anyone caught with a firearm but without having passed the test lost their weapons.

btw what compels you to believe that criminals

would obey licensing and training laws

For the same reason a lot of criminals have a driving license - because they face arrest for not doing so.

It might also help if anyone caught with a firearm but without having passed the test lost their weapons.

about 1 in 5 fatal car crashes involve a unlicensed driver

Jon -

Yes, that could well be true.

And yet the drivers license system still works fairly well, doesn't it?

And it does so is because everyone knows the penalties for being caught as an unlicensed drivers. It doesn't entirely prevent people driving a car without a license, but it does allow the justice system to punish them for doing so.

OK let's do a trade off with a guarantee that it will never be amended
You can only vote if you have a valid Government issued ID, and that you must take a college course on the Constitution and pass a competency test, and pay taxes. Is it a deal?

Jon -

Yes, that could well be true.

And yet the drivers license system still works fairly well, doesn't it?

And it does so is because everyone knows the penalties for being caught as an unlicensed drivers. It doesn't entirely prevent people driving a car without a license, but it does allow the justice system to punish them for doing so.

the licensing system does not stop crimes related to driving or prevent fatal crashes

80 percent of fatal accidents involve a licensed driver

Jon -

Of course imposing a drivers-license-type system on gun owners will not prevent gun deaths entirely - however, it will help reduce gun deaths by making it harder for incompetent people to get their hands on a weapon. Just as drivers licenses make it harder for incompetent drivers to get behind the wheel.

Neither drivers licenses nor gun licenses are intended to by 100% effective, catch-all solutions to the problem of accidents.

Jon -

Of course imposing a drivers-license-type system on gun owners will not prevent gun deaths entirely - however, it will help reduce gun deaths by making it harder for incompetent people to get their hands on a weapon. Just as drivers licenses make it harder for incompetent drivers to get behind the wheel.

Neither drivers licenses nor gun licenses are intended to by 100% effective, catch-all solutions to the problem of accidents.

actually that is not true

it will have no effect on the criminal

Jon -

I look forward to links on the data you've already read which lead you to that conclusion.

Jon -

If a criminal is caught without a license, he can then be more effectively punished, raising the stakes if he is caught in future as an unlicensed person with a firearm. Just as the stakes are raised on an unlicensed driver.

I look forward to links on the data you've already read which lead you to that conclusion.

Well, look at any country that uses the licensing system, genius. Then look at their per capita gun-related death statistics.

Jesus wept....

Jon -

If a criminal is caught without a license, he can then be more effectively punished, raising the stakes if he is caught in future as an unlicensed person with a firearm. Just as the stakes are raised on an unlicensed driver.
I trust you take no issue with reguler joes owning "military style" firearms, then, since one can operate a "military style" vehicle so long as they have a license.

And I bet you don't take issue with "high-capacity" magazines since you aren't taking issue with high capacity fuel tanks.

Last edited:
driving is a privileged, arms ownership is a right.

I'm glad I could clear that up for you.

Jon -

base laws on the "ifs" --LOL

the department of transportation reported

that 4 million adult drivers reported driving under the influence of alcohol at least once in 2010

Well, look at any country that uses the licensing system, genius. Then look at their per capita gun-related death statistics.

Jesus wept....
Hmm I didn't any links in that post. I just need to be patient while you bring up the data you've saved for debates on this topic.

Jon -

Hows the war on drugs working for you?

Jon -

Hows the war on drugs working for you?

--LOL

true

even where they have legalized it

the black market flourishes

“I don’t know who is buying for recreational use at dispensaries unless it’s white, middle-class people and out-of-towners,” Rudy Reddog Balles, a longtime community activist and mediator. “Everyone I know still has the guy on the street that they hook up with.

Inside Colorado 8217 s flourishing segregated black market for pot - The Washington Post

That's what a concealed carry permit is.

It entails class time, shooting range time and a comprehensive background check. I had to put my fingerprints on file with the state police as well.

I should be able to walk into any gun store and but any and as many firearms I want as I have already passed every requirement and check mandated by the state.

Forum List

Back