🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Support the fast food workers

I saw the 10 people who marched in NYC. There are none marching anywhere here in Florida that I've seen.

Are they union members?

How in the hell can they "strike"?

And if their pay is so damned low how can they afford to miss work?

Go right on ahead, Snookie et.al, support those $9 Big Macs and $5 "value fries"

I've heard there's a "Dollar Menue."

:confused:

That's my point
:eusa_whistle:

I love how the answer is to raise prices on food that isnt worth what you pay for it now.
On top of that they cant get your order right half the time. But thats probably because the chick at the drive through doesnt speak a lick of english.
I'll stop going period because I refuse to support such a disparity in pay vs. worth.
They can all lose their jobs as far as I'm concerned.

Realistically, that's the only only answer.
Increase costs, like payroll and now Obamacare, have to be made up somewhere.
Cut staff and/or raise prices

Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat.
And immediately off the rails with the hyperbole meter pegged at 11.

She is basically saying people who work in fast food restaurants are either starving or homeless. What a crock of shit, I submit the overwhelming majority are neither. Hell I'd wonder what percentage have smart phones.

I'll support them indirectly by buying a big mac today.

You know little about low paid workers.

uh huh and you do? not in this context it appears;

Consider the facts about the minimum wage. The majority of workers who earn a minimum wage in the United States work outside of the restaurant industry. In reality, only 5% of the 10 million restaurant employees earn the minimum wage. Those who do are predominantly teenagers working part-time jobs. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 71% of minimum-wage employees in the restaurant industry are under the age of 25; 47% are teenagers.

Washington politicians, labor unions and the media often portray service jobs as inferior or less valuable to society than other kinds of employment. Instead of degrading this type of hard work, critics might consider the pride that many restaurant workers take in their jobs and the skills they learn.

The U.S. restaurant industry is vital to the country's economic growth and has helped fuel the recovery now underway. While employment nationwide grew by 1.7% in 2012, restaurant industry employment grew 3.4%—making 2012 the 13th consecutive year that the restaurant industry has outperformed overall U.S. employment growth.

Many Americans rely on the additional income and flexibility these jobs offer as they seek to balance their careers with family responsibilities. Most industry workers, some 57%, are students with irregular schedules, teenagers saving for school or people who need a job with flexible hours that fit their busy lives. Part-time, entry-level work fills a critical need in the nation's workforce.

more at-
Phil Hickey: 'McWages' Can Be the Path to the Middle Class - WSJ.com

Workplace study: 45% of food-service workers smoke - USATODAY.com
Workplace study: 45% of food-service workers smoke

If you break smokers down by their occupations, the workers who are most likely to smoke are in the food-service industry, says a report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Out of all U.S. full-time employees ages 18 to 64, more than 33.6 million (28% of the total) smoked cigarettes in the past month. Yet almost 45% of food-service workers reported smoking cigarettes in that time.

Yup, sure sounds like most of have to choose between eating and rent. No spare money at all.

Smoking is a revolting habit, and we have a few employees who smoke, and some of them complain about not earning enough money to pay the bills. If they were really struggling, stop bloody smoking and use the money you save to put toward the bills!

I don't earn much, but what I do earn goes to pay my bills, and if I have anything left over, then I can treat myself. But some people put the smokes first and the bills last and then whinge that they have no money.

I hope that Nancy is not one of the thousands of workers who be laid off because of that raise in pay, because that is exactly what is going to happen.
You will find many front counter workers replaced with computer screens.
Then where will high school and college students go to get jobs for the summer.

From my experience (7 years) I know that high school kids want to get a job and earn some cash, but they hate getting up early so refuse to do the early shifts, and they often refuse to come in on a day off because they prefer to be at the movies with mates, or laying soccer or something.

90% of the time when we have to replace a shift, its with a mature aged worker, not a young employee, because they don't answer their phones, and don't wish to crawl out of bed. Sometimes they don't even bother turning up for a shift at all.

IMO, mature aged workers are better than the insolent young brats of today.

Mostly it is the least educated people who work in fast food. The least educated are the most likely to be over weight and to be smokers, to engage in other kinds of unhealthy activity. At the opposite end of the spectrum, college graduates are the least likely to be over weight, smoke, etc.

Basically, fast food workers are the working poor. What they need is more education on healthful habits and behavior as well as vocational or pre-college training at the local community college to get them out of the kind of work they do. Smoking is very prevalent among the poor. It's a matter of education and lifestyle. Rather than pay fast food workers a higher wage, they should be given incentive vouchers for community college courses. The more hours they put in, the more credit toward a voucher for a community college vocational or college prep course.

Last edited:
Mostly it is the least educated people who work in fast food. The least educated are the most likely to be over weight and to be smokers, to engage in other kinds of unhealthy activity. At the opposite end of the spectrum, college graduates are the least likely to be over weight, smoke, etc.

Basically, fast food workers are the working poor. What they need is more education on healthful habits and behavior as well as vocational or pre-college training at the local community college to get them out of the kind of work they do. Smoking is very prevalent among the poor. It's a matter of education and lifestyle. Rather than pay fast food workers a higher wage, they should be given incentive vouchers for community college courses. The more hours they put in, the more credit toward a voucher for a community college vocational or college prep course.

I don't smoke, or drink, and I am not overweight but I do fall into the 'least educated' group. I tried my best at school, but sometimes, your best isn't good enough.
We have so many employees who smoke and get drunk on weekends and many who are overweight...

We have a few who are obese, eat junk all day, go to the gym at night and wonder why they don't lose weight.

I don't smoke, or drink, and I am not overweight but I do fall into the 'least educated' group. I tried my best at school, but sometimes, your best isn't good enough.
We have so many employees who smoke and get drunk on weekends and many who are overweight...

We have a few who are obese, eat junk all day, go to the gym at night and wonder why they don't lose weight.

I am not suggesting that everyone who doesn't have any college or who didn't graduate from high school is obese or smokes, but it is prevalent behavior among the poor and uneduated. One study I read indicated that obesity is less likely the more education you have; that doesn't mean there aren't highly educated people who are obese, or who smoke: there definitely are.

I would go even father with my proposal about education vouchers for fast food workers: if the industry needs people to work in fast food, there are a lot of people of retirement age who have only social security to live on and would like to work part-time: a lot of them would be willing to work in fast food. That would take up the slack if a lot of people who currently work in fast food were trained to move on to something better.

unions1_s640x383.jpg
Chicken feed compared to ceos.

Wow, so a union boss can make whatever, as long as it is less than the CEO.

:eusa_whistle:

I don't suppose you see the conflict of interest.

What I say is what I say.

I guess nobody here watches "Hard Core Pawn". When you negotiate you always ask more than you want. Ask Les.

I guess nobody here watches "Hard Core Pawn".
Commonly watched by fast food workers, according to a recent study.

McHammil's report from last May indicated 63% of people who worked in the fast food industry regularly viewed "Hardcore Pawn" while only 27% of the population overall had watched it. He further found that only 16% of college graduates watched it, and only 6% of survey participants with an IQ over 120 were viewers of the show.

I guess nobody here watches "Hard Core Pawn".
Commonly watched by fast food workers, according to a recent study.

McHammil's report from last May indicated 63% of people who worked in the fast food industry regularly viewed "Hardcore Pawn" while only 27% of the population overall had watched it. He further found that only 16% of college graduates watched it, and only 6% of survey participants with an IQ over 120 were viewers of the show.

I am one of the six per centers that watches it.

I haven't bothered to read anything beyond the OP...

but here's my two cents on the subject:

1. Any and all government-mandated (fed/state/local) minimum wage requirements should be abolished. Workers should be paid according to what their labors are worth to the employer.

2. Employers should have the right to hire whomever they wish, at whatever terms might be be agreed upon at the time of employment.

3. Workers should have a legally-protected right to collectively bargain with their employer without intimidation.

4. The big guys would be fucked if they didn't have enough people to man their outlets.

5. Most fast-food customers would hardly even notice a 20% jump in the price of their combo meal, which now prolly averages about $6.50... so the big guys shouldn't be afraid to raise their prices in order to increase workers' pay...

6. It would seem that the fast-food corporations would recognize a huge public-relations opportunity if any of them took the lead and announced that they were paying their workers above and beyond the minimum wage... similar to the way they bowed to public perception about environmental concerns.

Last edited:
The email below is from Nancy Salgado, who makes $8.25 an hour working at a McDonald's in Chicago. Nancy started a petition on CREDO Mobilize, where activists can launch their own campaigns for progressive change. Will you help Nancy and thousands of her coworkers who are going on strike today to pressure fast food giants to pay their workers a fair wage by signing her petition and sharing it with your friends and family?
CREDO Mobilize
Tell America's fast-food giants: The time is now to raise wages for your workers!

" Sign the petition ►

Today I'm joining a national strike against low pay by thousands of fast food workers in cities across the country.

I'm on strike because I can't make ends meet on low hours and the $8.25/hour I make at McDonald's in Chicago. Because each month I have to make hard choices -- like which meal to skip, or which bill not to pay - just so that my kids and I can get by. No one who works for a living should have to make those choices. And I want more for my kids -- and their future -- than just barely "getting by."

Will you join me and add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today?

On behalf of striking fast-food workers across the country, I started my own campaign on CREDO's new site that allows activists to start their own petitions. My petition, which is to McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's, asks the following:

Together, your restaurants employ millions of people. Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat. Who can't afford health care if they want to pay their bus fare. Millions of people, and more than 25% of them are parents who can't afford school supplies if they also have to buy school shoes.

Last year your combined profits were $7.35 billion. Yet you still paid most of your workers less than $11,200 a year – poverty wages. It’s shameful. And outrageous.

We call on you to raise wages for your workers.

By now, everyone knows that fast food employees like me can’t make ends meet on minimum wage or barely more. They know how incredibly profitable -- and out of touch -- the corporations we work for are. They know – and you know – that something has to change. Starting now.

We need to know you have our backs -- please help us send the fast food chains we work for a message that people are with us in this fight.

Add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today.

Thank you for your support.

Nancy Salgado

Sign the petition ►
CREDO Mobilize helps activists like you make progressive change and fight regressive policies by creating online petitions. Click here to start a petition today."

I have signed this petition. Go here to sign. National strike: Help us be loud! | CREDO Mobilize

The most supportive thing any of us can do for fast-food workers is to ignore this ignorant twat . . . and the one who wrote the letter. :eusa_whistle:

I'll bet this stupid shit goes about as far as the boycott by the left of Chic-Fil-A did.

These lefty morons think that money just appears out of thin air.

I'd say they were stupid Democrats, but that would be redundant.

Well, for them, money DOES just appear out of thin air. First of every month, it's just magically there on the EBT card. Poof!

The email below is from Nancy Salgado, who makes $8.25 an hour working at a McDonald's in Chicago. Nancy started a petition on CREDO Mobilize, where activists can launch their own campaigns for progressive change. Will you help Nancy and thousands of her coworkers who are going on strike today to pressure fast food giants to pay their workers a fair wage by signing her petition and sharing it with your friends and family?
CREDO Mobilize
Tell America's fast-food giants: The time is now to raise wages for your workers!

" Sign the petition ►

Today I'm joining a national strike against low pay by thousands of fast food workers in cities across the country.

I'm on strike because I can't make ends meet on low hours and the $8.25/hour I make at McDonald's in Chicago. Because each month I have to make hard choices -- like which meal to skip, or which bill not to pay - just so that my kids and I can get by. No one who works for a living should have to make those choices. And I want more for my kids -- and their future -- than just barely "getting by."

Will you join me and add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today?

On behalf of striking fast-food workers across the country, I started my own campaign on CREDO's new site that allows activists to start their own petitions. My petition, which is to McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's, asks the following:

Together, your restaurants employ millions of people. Millions of people, mostly adults, who can't afford rent if they want to eat. Who can't afford health care if they want to pay their bus fare. Millions of people, and more than 25% of them are parents who can't afford school supplies if they also have to buy school shoes.

Last year your combined profits were $7.35 billion. Yet you still paid most of your workers less than $11,200 a year – poverty wages. It’s shameful. And outrageous.

We call on you to raise wages for your workers.

By now, everyone knows that fast food employees like me can’t make ends meet on minimum wage or barely more. They know how incredibly profitable -- and out of touch -- the corporations we work for are. They know – and you know – that something has to change. Starting now.

We need to know you have our backs -- please help us send the fast food chains we work for a message that people are with us in this fight.

Add your name to my petition to demand that the nation's eight largest fast-food chains raise the wages of their workers today.

Thank you for your support.

Nancy Salgado

Sign the petition ►
CREDO Mobilize helps activists like you make progressive change and fight regressive policies by creating online petitions. Click here to start a petition today."

I have signed this petition. Go here to sign. National strike: Help us be loud! | CREDO Mobilize

I'd like to note that this lazy fucking **** has more than 1 kid.

tell that twat to get off her ass, keep her legs closed and get a second job or WORK at a job that pays more.

Unless Ray Kroc impregnated her, I just can't see how HER children are McDonald's problem.

Forum List

Back