Supreme court rules..prayer at public meetings not a constitutional violation.

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
Told ya so:

"
The court, in a 5-to-4 ruling today, said those prayers don't violate the Constitution -- even if they routinely emphasize Christianity -- as long as there's no effort to proselytize or to denigrate non-Christians. Justice Anthony Kennedy said the prayers are ceremonial, and in keeping with the nation's traditions. He wrote that they are designed to "acknowledge religious leaders and the institutions they represent," and not to "exclude or coerce nonbelievers."

A sad day for the anti-Christian fascists indeed.

High court ruling favors prayer at council meeting - WTOP.com

These "prayers are ceremonial" or are civil religion.

Anti-religious fascists think the ruling will go too far, and the pro-religious fascists wil think the ruling did not go far enough.

I am using 'fascism' as I think Carl Herman defines it in an article in examiner.com.

Look in any textbook or encyclopedia and compare US policy (not rhetoric) to the definitions of fascism and constitutional republic. I’ll explain it here, but check my work. If at the end of your consideration, you agree that the United States of America is now a fascist state, please speak-up about it. Also, consider the policy requests at the end of the article. American fascism: by political definition the US is now fascist, not a constitutional republic - Los Angeles LA County Nonpartisan | Examiner.com

Told ya so:

"
The court, in a 5-to-4 ruling today, said those prayers don't violate the Constitution -- even if they routinely emphasize Christianity -- as long as there's no effort to proselytize or to denigrate non-Christians. Justice Anthony Kennedy said the prayers are ceremonial, and in keeping with the nation's traditions. He wrote that they are designed to "acknowledge religious leaders and the institutions they represent," and not to "exclude or coerce nonbelievers."

Tradition wins again, but hey, just keep praying to that God who is so "ceremonial" that he's not actually religion, just "tradition", and therefore allowed. I'm sure he appreciates the court's opinion of him, he doesn't really matter enough to bother with either way.

Told ya so:

"

I'm glad to see we haven't completely fallen off the cliff.

These "prayers are ceremonial" or are civil religion.

Anti-religious fascists think the ruling will go too far, and the pro-religious fascists wil think the ruling did not go far enough.

I am using 'fascism' as I think Carl Herman defines it in an article in examiner.com.

Look in any textbook or encyclopedia and compare US policy (not rhetoric) to the definitions of fascism and constitutional republic. I’ll explain it here, but check my work. If at the end of your consideration, you agree that the United States of America is now a fascist state, please speak-up about it. Also, consider the policy requests at the end of the article. American fascism: by political definition the US is now fascist, not a constitutional republic - Los Angeles LA County Nonpartisan | Examiner.com

Only Fascist here is YOU. Get lost.:eusa_hand:

Christ showed everyone how his Father in Heaven liked to be prayed to...alone, in private...and not to ask for more than the birds have as a way to survive..

Public prayer is just performance art

I'm perfectly okay with a meaningless prayer in front of politicians, who generally are the most corrupt people around, that has no real substance to it beyond "let's try to get it right, you know, For The People, go us!" If that's the trade off to keep religion out of science classes, then I can live with this.

Told ya so:

"

Back in the "dark ages" when I was in school, we said the Pledge every day and the Lord's Prayer every day.

Never once saw it hurt anyone. But then again, schools were decent back then - we led the world in education.

Ooooops....so much for that. :D

Oh, and by the way - they aren't "anti-Christian fascists"

They are "anti-Christian Nazis"......just for the record. ;)

Christ showed everyone how his Father in Heaven liked to be prayed to...alone, in private...and not to ask for more than the birds have as a way to survive..

Your interpretation is irrelevant.

Told ya so:

"

Back in the "dark ages" when I was in school, we said the Pledge every day and the Lord's Prayer every day.

Never once saw it hurt anyone. But then again, schools were decent back then - we led the world in education.

How many Christians in this nation are in concentration camps??

Public prayer is just performance art

That pretty well sums up Religion in America actually.

I wonder if they know, according to Yeshua, that they've already received their reward for such "acts"?

Your biblical stylings are irrelevant to the topic.

The thread isn't about whether or not GOD desires Christians to pray at city council meetings.

This thread is about whether it's LEGAL to open city council meetings with prayer.

It is.

Told ya so:

"

How many Christians in this nation are in concentration camps??

Give it time, Nazi - give it time.

It's going to be a hoot watching the Christians flip out when someplace like Dearborn, Michigan starts opening their city counsel meetings with an appeal to Allah.

fakey likes to use words he thinks he understands, but in reality he doesn't. fascist? good lord, that doesn't even make sense with regards to the thread topic.

Forum List

Back