Supreme court rules..prayer at public meetings not a constitutional violation.

If Dearborn, Michigan has a city council full of Muslims, and an appeal to Allah is embraced by the entire community and doesn't represent denigration or proselytizing, then they're welcome to appeal away.

Of course, we all know that isn't the case.

Public prayer is just performance art

That pretty well sums up Religion in America actually.

I wonder if they know, according to Yeshua, that they've already received their reward for such "acts"?

I respect people's personal choice on that issue.

But the Hand of God has been so obvious and so powerful in my life, I couldn't deny Him if I wanted to.

Back in the "dark ages" when I was in school, we said the Pledge every day and the Lord's Prayer every day.

Never once saw it hurt anyone. But then again, schools were decent back then - we led the world in education.

Ooooops....so much for that. :D

Oh, and by the way - they aren't "anti-Christian fascists"

They are "anti-Christian Nazis"......just for the record. ;)

How many Christians in this nation are in concentration camps??

Give it time, Nazi - give it time.

you wish..

Public prayer is just performance art

I wonder if they know, according to Yeshua, that they've already received their reward for such "acts"?

But the Hand of God has been so obvious and so powerful in my life, I couldn't deny Him if I wanted to.

In this country you aren't required to.

But I think the day is coming when that will change. The bible foretells it, and what I see confirms it.

In this country you aren't required to.

But I think the day is coming when that will change. The bible foretells it, and what I see confirms it.

The government cannot compel me to deny God.
They can punish me for refusing to deny Him. But they cannot make me deny Him.

I also believe that politicians have been ginning up fear for a long time. They create a fear ("they're attacking your religion") and then they present themselves as your protection. It's very persuasive to some people.

Removing Christianity from politics is not a threat to Christianity. It's protecting Christianity.

MHO

Just so long as the chisters pray fast and we get to the kickoff or barbeque or whatever the occasion is.

Just so long as the chisters pray fast and we get to the kickoff or barbeque or whatever the occasion is.

Like the guy praying before the NASCAR race who thanked God for his "hot wife"

Public prayer is just a public performance imho.

Real prayer is too gut-wrenching to be performed in public.

MHO

If you are Christian, you cannot separate the two. We are our faith, and we are allowed to reference it, no matter who we are. If we aren't allowed, we will reference it anyway, and whoever is attempting to silence us will have to kill us, and it still won't work.

Until now, America has embraced that, and for that reason we've been the freest, most admired, most blessed, country on the face of the earth, and in the history of mankind.

We're losing that now, and it's because people refuse to embrace the premise of liberty anymore...and because people are rejecting the Christian god, which is so obviously superior to any other false God. It's pathetic that people are willing to destroy themselves, if in doing so they can destroy other people and spit on God. Those two things are so important to them, they're willing to sacrifice the well being of everybody.

Sad.

If God is the guiding force of US politicians then God is a failure.

God is a crutch for the weak and stupid, or a bludgeon to be used by those in power to gain more power. God does not serve any other purpose.

Fascism and religion share the trait of forcing everyone to convert through fear, violence, and/or propaganda. It doesn't matter what name you call "God". God, Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, L. Ron- it's all the same fictional stone-age gibberish. We don't have the internet because of Jesus, we don't have armed drones because of Buddha, we don't have a nuclear arsenal capable of killing every life form on Earth because of the Bible.

If you are Christian, you cannot separate the two. We are our faith, and we are allowed to reference it, no matter who we are. If we aren't allowed, we will reference it anyway, and whoever is attempting to silence us will have to kill us, and it still won't work.

Until now, America has embraced that, and for that reason we've been the freest, most admired, most blessed, country on the face of the earth, and in the history of mankind.

We're losing that now, and it's because people refuse to embrace the premise of liberty anymore...and because people are rejecting the Christian god, which is so obviously superior to any other false God. It's pathetic that people are willing to destroy themselves, if in doing so they can destroy other people and spit on God. Those two things are so important to them, they're willing to sacrifice the well being of everybody.

Sad.

Americans are not - and never have been - God's chosen people.
God has not blessed the United States of America because of our "Christian Principles."

The Bible does not advocate one political system over the other.

God doesn't care about our laws, he cares about our hearts.

MHO

Mixing God into politics only cheapens God.

God is a crutch for the weak and stupid, or a bludgeon to be used by those in power to gain more power. God does not serve any other purpose.

Fascism and religion share the trait of forcing everyone to convert through fear, violence, and/or propaganda. It doesn't matter what name you call "God". God, Jesus, Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, L. Ron- it's all the same fictional stone-age gibberish. We don't have the internet because of Jesus, we don't have armed drones because of Buddha, we don't have a nuclear arsenal capable of killing every life form on Earth because of the Bible.

And you are bringing down our country.

Your big mistake is in thinking people will sit idly by while you do it.

This is evidence of my previous post.

Mixing God into politics, only cheapens God.

These "prayers are ceremonial" or are civil religion.

Anti-religious fascists think the ruling will go too far, and the pro-religious fascists wil think the ruling did not go far enough.

I am using 'fascism' as I think Carl Herman defines it in an article in examiner.com.

Look in any textbook or encyclopedia and compare US policy (not rhetoric) to the definitions of fascism and constitutional republic. I’ll explain it here, but check my work. If at the end of your consideration, you agree that the United States of America is now a fascist state, please speak-up about it. Also, consider the policy requests at the end of the article. American fascism: by political definition the US is now fascist, not a constitutional republic - Los Angeles LA County Nonpartisan | Examiner.com

Only Fascist here is YOU. Get lost.:eusa_hand:

T, you are a neo-fascist because of your anti-democratic uber-rightwing Christian position.

Those who say religion has no place in the public forum are anti-democratic uber-left fascists.

Let's be honest with definitions.

fakey likes to use words he thinks he understands, but in reality he doesn't. fascist? good lord, that doesn't even make sense with regards to the thread topic.

Yurt knows that the words I use are used correctly.

Rather than deal with them, he would rather stalk.

Yurt, would do you think of the ruling.

Told ya so:

"
The court, in a 5-to-4 ruling today, said those prayers don't violate the Constitution -- even if they routinely emphasize Christianity -- as long as there's no effort to proselytize or to denigrate non-Christians. Justice Anthony Kennedy said the prayers are ceremonial, and in keeping with the nation's traditions. He wrote that they are designed to "acknowledge religious leaders and the institutions they represent," and not to "exclude or coerce nonbelievers."

A sad day for the anti-Christian fascists indeed.

High court ruling favors prayer at council meeting - WTOP.com
Tradition wins again, but hey, just keep praying to that God who is so "ceremonial" that he's not actually religion, just "tradition", and therefore allowed. I'm sure he appreciates the court's opinion of him, he doesn't really matter enough to bother with either way.

You must also savor the fact that the majority, by studiously ignoring the finding of fact at lower level that many of the prayers were "sectarian" and probably offensive to one group of Christians or another, chose to emphasize that prayers that "did not attempt to proselytize of denigrate non-Christians" (and by implication leave the door open to ban prayers that did so) created two issues which scream more litigation. First, it creates two classes of religion: Christian and non-Christian and paradoxically protects non-Christian religion more than Christian. Second, it inevitably intrudes the courts into examining the content of prayer to determine if it meets a constitututional standard of being "ceremonial" (bland) enough to not be "proselytizing" or "denigrating" of "non-Christians".

But by all means, let the invocation before a city council meeting let the Southern Baptists denigrate the Mormons. Perhaps that case will definitely resolve whether Mormons are Christians, for if they are, they are fair game, but if they are not, they are protected!

Only if one does it like you do.

Again, what you think glorifies God is irrelevant. We have the right to carry on.

Told ya so:

"
The court, in a 5-to-4 ruling today, said those prayers don't violate the Constitution -- even if they routinely emphasize Christianity -- as long as there's no effort to proselytize or to denigrate non-Christians. Justice Anthony Kennedy said the prayers are ceremonial, and in keeping with the nation's traditions. He wrote that they are designed to "acknowledge religious leaders and the institutions they represent," and not to "exclude or coerce nonbelievers."

A sad day for the anti-Christian fascists indeed.

High court ruling favors prayer at council meeting - WTOP.com
Tradition wins again, but hey, just keep praying to that God who is so "ceremonial" that he's not actually religion, just "tradition", and therefore allowed. I'm sure he appreciates the court's opinion of him, he doesn't really matter enough to bother with either way.

You must also savor the fact that the majority, by studiously ignoring the finding of fact at lower level that many of the prayers were "sectarian" and probably offensive to one group of Christians or another, chose to emphasize that prayers that "did not attempt to proselytize of denigrate non-Christians" (and by implication leave the door open to ban prayers that did so) created two issues which scream more litigation. First, it creates two classes of religion: Christian and non-Christian and paradoxically protects non-Christian religion more than Christian. Second, it inevitably intrudes the courts into examining the content of prayer to determine if it meets a constitututional standard of being "ceremonial" (bland) enough to not be "proselytizing" or "denigrating" of "non-Christians".

But by all means, let the invocation before a city council meeting let the Southern Baptists denigrate the Mormons. Perhaps that case will definitely resolve whether Mormons are Christians, for if they are, they are fair game, but if they are not, they are protected!

Quite the opposite, as stated by the court.

In fact, diametrically opposite...your compulsion to lie quite owns you, doesn't it? Read the article, and read the ruling.

Only if one does it like you do.

Again, what you think glorifies God is irrelevant. We have the right to carry on.

Yes, if you choose to cheapen God by trying to whore him out to the politicians, you can do that.

And I have a right to call you on it.

Yes but would you kindly start another thread about that, in the appropriate forum?

This thread isn't about whether or not I'm a good Christian.

It's about a court ruling on the right to pray at public meetings.

Thank you.

Forum List

Back