Supreme Court Says Church Bans UNCONSTITUTIONAL!

U.S. Supreme Court Rules Against Gov. Newsom’s Indoor Worship Bans

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Thursday against California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s (D) restrictions on indoor worship services, agreeing with religious groups they are unconstitutional.

The High Court granted a petition from Harvest Rock Church in Pasadena that sought to overturn a lower court’s ruling in favor of Newsom’s restrictions.

The ruling cited the Supreme Court’s decision last week in a similar case in which it ruled in favor of faith groups that challenged New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s (D) worship restrictions.

-------------------------------------

Gruesome Newsom is a Leftist idiot. Even wacky Californians are circulating a petition to recall him.

Are bans on attending football games also unconstitutional? I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like a ridiculous ruling.

It might be but there is one major difference. The right to go to a football game isn't clearly stated in the Constitution like practicing your religion is.

Nope. The First Amendment isn't a right to practice your religion. It's a restraint on government from passing laws regarding religion. (Congress shall pass no law ...)

I realize the Court disagrees with me on this issue, but I think the current interpretation actually gets it wrong. The point of the religion clause of the First Amendment was to prohibit government from dictating our religious practices. Many of America's first European immigrants were fleeing religious persecution at the hands of government and they wanted to ensure the US would have no state religion, and that government wouldn't be able to ban religions it didn't approve of.

The First Amendment is a limitation on federal power. It's not a "special rights for special people" kind of thing. It doesn't give a person the right to do whatever they want in the name of their religion. Murder, for example, is illegal. It doesn't matter whether your religion has a hallowed tradition of human sacrifice. You'll still be prosecuted if you kill someone. In this case, the state has banned gatherings. Whether that should be Constitutional is a valid question. But the laws prohibiting gatherings are not laws "respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". They're not targeting religions or religious practice.

In my view, the ban on gatherings can be seen as a violation of the First, but not because of the religion clause. The portion that could validly apply is the clause protecting "the right of the people peaceably to assemble". But that applies to football games every bit as much as it applies to religious services.

Unfortunate result when rule by the court is done from a religious and political perspective instead of ceding to the science and public health.
Common sense...out the window we go!

There were plagues and pestilences when the Constitution was written.

If the Founding Fathers wanted an exception to Freedom of Religion in such an eventuality, they would have written it in.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Thursday against California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s (D) restrictions on indoor worship services, agreeing with religious groups they are unconstitutional.

The High Court granted a petition from Harvest Rock Church in Pasadena that sought to overturn a lower court’s ruling in favor of Newsom’s restrictions.

The ruling cited the Supreme Court’s decision last week in a similar case in which it ruled in favor of faith groups that challenged New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s (D) worship restrictions.

Gruesome Newsom is a Leftist idiot. Even wacky Californians are circulating a petition to recall him.

Are bans on attending football games also unconstitutional? I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like a ridiculous ruling.

It might be but there is one major difference. The right to go to a football game isn't clearly stated in the Constitution like practicing your religion is.

Nope. The First Amendment isn't a right to practice your religion. It's a restraint on government from passing laws regarding religion. (Congress shall pass no law ...)

I realize the Court disagrees with me on this issue, but I think the current interpretation actually gets it wrong. The point of the religion clause of the First Amendment was to prohibit government from dictating our religious practices. Many of America's first European immigrants were fleeing religious persecution at the hands of government and they wanted to ensure the US would have no state religion, and that government wouldn't be able to ban religions it didn't approve of.

The First Amendment is a limitation on federal power. It's not a "special rights for special people" kind of thing. It doesn't give a person the right to do whatever they want in the name of their religion. Murder, for example, is illegal. It doesn't matter whether your religion has a hallowed tradition of human sacrifice. You'll still be prosecuted if you kill someone. In this case, the state has banned gatherings. Whether that should be Constitutional is a valid question. But the laws prohibiting gatherings are not laws "respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". They're not targeting religions or religious practice.

In my view, the ban on gatherings can be seen as a violation of the First, but not because of the religion clause. The portion that could validly apply is the clause protecting "the right of the people peaceably to assemble". But that applies to football games every bit as much as it applies to religious services.

In my original post on these rulings I noted it also violated the equal protection clause. I have also agreed that much of this could apply to football games. Other businesses are permitted to operate without restrictions so the ones that have been could have a valid argument.

I am against an authoritarian government that doesn't act in a fair manner in whatever venue we are discussing.

Seems wrong to me that a restaurant would be shut down but a movie set in a restaurant would not.

But as I said, the way it is carried out very well may be. Equal protection is also in the Constitution. One very well may be able to argue that Business A is allowed to carry out their business without restrictions on the number of people so all should be able to.

Take it to court.
Pretty sure the football staduim owners agreed to not having peoole there. Pretty sure the churcjes respomse was different. This is about rights and freedom. You know those things some people think are closely related to govt handouts.

But as I said, the way it is carried out very well may be. Equal protection is also in the Constitution. One very well may be able to argue that Business A is allowed to carry out their business without restrictions on the number of people so all should be able to.

Take it to court.
Pretty sure the football staduim owners agreed to not having peoole there. Pretty sure the churcjes respomse was different. This is about rights and freedom. You know those things some people think are closely related to govt handouts.

No and yes. Most churches shut down on their own. I've noted many times that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Take it to court.

I agree it's about rights and freedoms. But it's the freedom to peaceably assemble that's in question, not the freedom of religion. They aren't being told they can't practice their religion, they're being told they can't have large gatherings.

Last edited:

Take it to court.

I agree it's about rights and freedoms. But it's the freedom to peaceably assemble that's in question, not the freedom of religion. They aren't being told they can practice their religion, they're being told they can't have large gatherings.
But they are practicing their religion. Their book says to gather together more and more as the day approaches.

Last edited:

Take it to court.

I agree it's about rights and freedoms. But it's the freedom to peaceably assemble that's in question, not the freedom of religion. They aren't being told they can practice their religion, they're being told they can't have large gatherings.

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Hebrews 10 24-25

I am glad someone in this coumtry has the balls to fight for our right to hather together if we want and not be subject to a marshall.law police state type lifestyle. C'mon people, We are not children.
Seems the Church because of its power has the govt in a corner on this one.
I am just glad there are so many of religous organizations that the govt cant fight back.
Thank you Christians. You are awesome!
I dont have to believe in everything your doctrines possess to appteciate you having the guts to do where others in this country have caved in under pressure and joined the ranks of the corrupt and unethical simply to make money or friends. Kudos!
I think I will walk into one of these churches this weekend. Give a donation. And thank them personally. Haven't been in one for years..

Who is Marshall Law?

I'm sure the exhausted, overworked, burnt out and depressed doctors and nurses at the local hospitals are just thrilled with this decision.

I am glad someone in this coumtry has the balls to fight for our right to hather together if we want and not be subject to a marshall.law police state type lifestyle. C'mon people, We are not children.
I am just glad there are so many of religous organizations that the govt cant fight back.
I dont have to believe in everything your doctrines possess to appteciate you having the guts to do where others in this country have caved in under pressure and joined the ranks of the corrupt and unethical simply to make money or friends. Kudos!
I think I will walk into one of these churches this weekend. Give a donation. And thank them personally. Haven't been in one for years..

Who is Marshall Law?
Wasn't he on Duke of Hazzard?

Who is Marshall Law?

It's martial law. Not Marshall Law.
Goddamn, Trumpers are so fucking ignorant.
And that's bullshit., too.
We don't have soldiers in the streets watching us.
"Martial law is the imposition of direct military control of normal civil functions or suspension of civil law by a government, especially in response to a temporary emergency where civil forces are overwhelmed, or in an occupied territory."

Take it to court.

But they are practicing their religion. Their book says to gather together more and more as the day approaches.
So, answer this then - if my religion dictates human sacrifice, should I be given a pass on laws against murder?

The lower court judges should be removed from office for incompetence

LOL
A lot of those judges were appointed by Trump.

In election cases, Trump-appointed judges rule against Trump ...
www.abajournal.com › news › article › trump-appointe...

3 days ago — In election cases, Trump-appointed judges rule against Trump and allies, ... and his requests for relief concerning the 2020 election were moot ...

Trump Is Being Laughed Out of Court by His Own Judicial ...
www.vanityfair.com › news › 2020/12 › trump-being-l...

5 days ago — Another appeals court judge appointed by Trump ruled against his ... Georgia was one of five battleground states serving up losses to the ...

U.S. judiciary, shaped by Trump, thwarts his election ... - Reuters
www.reuters.com › article › us-usa-election-trump-judges

Dec 1, 2020 — An appeals court judge appointed by Trump, a Republican, on Friday ruled against his campaign's effort to overturn President-elect Joe Biden's ...

LOL

3 days ago — In election cases, Trump-appointed judges rule against Trump and allies, ... and his requests for relief concerning the 2020 election were moot ...

5 days ago — Another appeals court judge appointed by Trump ruled against his ... Georgia was one of five battleground states serving up losses to the ...

Dec 1, 2020 — An appeals court judge appointed by Trump, a Republican, on Friday ruled against his campaign's effort to overturn President-elect Joe Biden's ...
It appears that you only found about 5 or 6 trump appointed judges out of 50 cases

and some of those ruling were procedural rather than factual defeats

while in other cases lack of evidence is not the same as saying there was no fraud

LOL

It appears that you only found about 5 or 6 trump appointed judges out of 50 cases

and some of those ruling were procedural rather than factual defeats

while in other cases lack of evidence is not the same as saying there was no fraud

LOL, I suppose that is true. It's also true about anything. Just because there is a lack of evidence doesn't mean Russia didn't cheat for Trump, right?

LOL, I suppose that is true. It's also true about anything. Just because there is a lack of evidence doesn't mean Russia didn't cheat for Trump, right?
That was throughly investigated by the mueller lynch mob for 4 years

the democrat election fraud scandal has not been investigated at all yet

That was throughly investigated by the mueller lynch mob for 4 years

the democrat election fraud scandal has not been investigated at all yet

As you said, just because there is no evidence doesn't mean it didn't happen. Don't question me, it's your argument.

As you said, just because there is no evidence doesn't mean it didn't happen. Don't question me, it's your argument.
Not quite

Libs had four years to investigate

Trump voters have only days to uncover democrat cheating

Forum List

Back