Supremes: Hobby Lobby wins

Oh, lookie what I found:

Burwell v. Hobby Lobby -

There it is. The difference between what HL is refusing to do and the left wing nut bull shit about blood transfusions and HIV.

Not that any of the sheeple will accept these facts.

To be fair, @PredFan and @TemplarKormac
Luddly Neddite did post links showing HL invested indirectly in companies
providing the same abortifacient drugs they oppose (as well as supporting
slave labor in China)

the DIFFERENCE is that is free choice in business
it is NOT the FEDERAL GOVT telling you to must do so or be fined

They don't seem to get the difference between
* free choice naturally existing BY DEFAULT
* and freedom established or taken away BY GOVT
(to them Govt is the people or the default)

People who don't believe in natural laws and rights "naturally existing"
believe in depending on govt to establish these or they DON'T EXIST

This is a serious issue of political religions clashing:
If people don't have any concept or BELIEF in naturally existing freedoms without govt
that is causing this constant battle
where the only way they believe they have rights is electing leaders
to pass these laws through govt. or their rights do not exist.

The difference, emily is that these companies don't exclusively produce abortive drugs. Companies like AstraZeneca produce a wide variety of drugs other than birth control. That's what a pharmaceutical company does. Luddly's premise is flawed.

And I find this accusation of HL supporting slave labor to be quite bold and unfounded.

Obama crossed the line and got pushed back. Leftist drama queens see another attack in the republican war on women.

Sick nasty lying trash.

The difference, emily is that these companies don't exclusively produce abortive drugs. Companies like AstraZeneca produce a wide variety of drugs other than birth control. That's what a pharmaceutical company does. Luddly's premise is flawed.

And I find this accusation of HL supporting slave labor to be quite bold and unfounded.

HL doesn't try to make those companies "take those choices out" of their investment plans

With federal requirements, HL is forced to sure to take out those requirements

So federal laws are not the same as free business practice

My friends who support singlepayer see federal govt as some neutral institution
that you can have all the same freedoms with. And I'm saying it's not free through govt.

A superb, intelligent and just decision.

It's just sad that it's a 5-4 ruling. It should have been 9-0

I mostly agree with the decision. It did surprise me they went this way. If this were Al's Bakery in Greenbay I would be a little more comfortable with the implications than it being a company as large as Hobby Lobby. I am fine with the birth control aspects of it. It just feels like this case is so going to eventually lead to a fiasco.

Have to see what the scope of the ruling is

On the surface, it can go well beyond birth control

If my boss is Jehovah's Witness, will the insurance he provides have to cover blood transfusions? If my boss is Southern Baptist and my child needs stem cell therapy, will the insurance he provides be required to cover it?

The Conservatives are crowing about this Hobby Lobby decision. Well, crowing right up until they are forced to realize that the religious knife cuts deeper than contraceptives.

Maybe you need to seek employment with a boss who is more to your liking? Last time I looked around, no one was forced to work for any specific employer, slavery has been done with for a long time in this country.

Surely some care bleeding heart fascists will pool their funds and cover abortion pills for these oppressed women. Not need for them to suffer. Lol

More likely, some bleeding heart fascists will try to find some other way to force those they disagree with to foot the bill to cover abortion pills. Bleeding heart fascists are far more likely to pool other's money, not their own.

Why should Christian Scientists pay for ANY medical care, instead of just giving employees a free pass to their reading room?

51876423.jpg

Why is it a false equivalency? What is to prevent a company from having a "road to Damascus" epiphany and declaring themselves to be "Christian Science" and denying all healthcare? If their employees need healthcare, they should just pray real hard.

If you believe in the 1st amendment and the separation between church and state which flows from it, I'm not sure how you can oppose this ruling.

It does, after all, work both ways.

:dunno:

I'd love to read the actual ruling, but it was a no brainer for anyone familiar with the First amendment. The idea that the Federal Government can force people to act contrary to their religious beliefs is absurd.

Say what?

Court strikes a blow to religious freedom

In a blow to Native Americans — whose religious traditions predate the U.S. Constitution — the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 on April 17, that there is no constitutional right to use peyote as part of religious rituals. Peyote, which contains the hallucinogenic drug mescaline, is a central part of Indian religious ritual. The federal government and 23 states permit peyote to be used for that purpose.

The Supreme Court case involved two Oregon men, Galen W. Black and Alfred C. Smith, who were denied unemployment benefits after they were fired from their jobs at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program. They were fired because they ingested peyote at a ceremony of the Native American Church, of which they were members.

Simple, if you hold a job that is governed by DOD, FAA, or any other regulatory agency that specifies certain drugs and alcohol are prohibited in the workplace, you either do not ingest those substances prior to working or you find another job where it does not matter. I'm watching how the new marijuana rulings are going to play out in those types of jobs subject to random urinalysis.

Why should Christian Scientists pay for ANY medical care, instead of just giving employees a free pass to their reading room?

51876423.jpg

Why is it a false equivalency? What is to prevent a company from having a "road to Damascus" epiphany and declaring themselves to be "Christian Science" and denying all healthcare? If their employees need healthcare, they should just pray real hard.

Exactly the reason the government should NEVER mandate a company buy something and not mandate an individual buy something.

people will always "game the game".

I want you to do me a favor. Take this out of the insurance argument.

Let me ask you this: Lets say that someday a company is founded by a Muslim that becomes, lets say, a nationwide chain of car dealerships. As we know, Muslims have a big problem being subordinate to a woman.

Could a company that is completely privately held by a Muslim family, find religious footing to not promote women?

Sure.

Now you can answer a question.

Why would a woman, knowing she may not receive a promotion because she is a woman, choose to work for your hypothetical Muslim Company?

Companies get sold all the time; should I have to give up my career if my new employers are Muslim? How would I be able to find out if they are Muslim? I don't know the faith of my current company's owners.... In fact, with the exception of my first job, I haven't known the religious faith of any of my employers.

Partnerships have buy-outs all the time too. What if your family-held-business decides they want to convert to Islam; should I have to quit because of their religious beliefs getting in the way of my career?

I'm really not trying to play "gotcha"; I was curious if this opens the door to the Muslim family to employ this argument for not promoting women.

Can you answer it?

I did answer it. I think it was post #98.

The answer is YES, YOU WOULD NEED TO CHANGE JOBS. It's called property rights. You buy something, you own it. Employees have had to change jobs for many reasons, and I'm certain that Unfairness is at the top of each one's excuse.

Grow Up.

Awesome. Now we can all die because a corporation can assert that their religion prevents them from covering blood transfusions and life saving procedures. While they laugh their asses off to the bank knowing they lied, got Americans killed, and take in more profits.

This country is heading to third world status fast.

Yer kidding, right?

Sadly, no. In his case JFK appears to mean "John F'n Kerry," idiot liberal poster child.

Sure.

Now you can answer a question.

Why would a woman, knowing she may not receive a promotion because she is a woman, choose to work for your hypothetical Muslim Company?

Companies get sold all the time; should I have to give up my career if my new employers are Muslim? How would I be able to find out if they are Muslim? I don't know the faith of my current company's owners.... In fact, with the exception of my first job, I haven't known the religious faith of any of my employers.

Partnerships have buy-outs all the time too. What if your family-held-business decides they want to convert to Islam; should I have to quit because of their religious beliefs getting in the way of my career?

I'm really not trying to play "gotcha"; I was curious if this opens the door to the Muslim family to employ this argument for not promoting women.

Can you answer it?

The answer is YES, YOU WOULD NEED TO CHANGE JOBS. It's called property rights. You buy something, you own it. Employees have had to change jobs for many reasons, and I'm certain that Unfairness is at the top of each one's excuse.

Grow Up.

and it all goes back to the same argument...one that makes sense, but the left refuses to acknowledge.

If an employer does something that turns the employees off, they will not be able to retain the better employees.

Who does this NOT affect?

The mediocre employees that work 9-5 but show no differential. And that, too, is their choice.

Likewise, if a business does something that the general public doesn't like, the company will find it hard to stay in business as the public will likely stay away form their product.

Can you answer it?

Grow Up.

and it all goes back to the same argument...one that makes sense, but the left refuses to acknowledge.

If an employer does something that turns the employees off, they will not be able to retain the better employees.

Who does this NOT affect?

The mediocre employees that work 9-5 but show no differential. And that, too, is their choice.

Likewise, if a business does something that the general public doesn't like, the company will find it hard to stay in business as the public will likely stay away form their product.

You mean like all those Wal-Mart haters who shop and/or work at Wal-Mart?

Sharia Law is based on religious beliefs and doctrines. If the Court has held that religious 'laws' can be exempted from having to adhere to other protected rights in the Constitution,

then Sharia law becomes superior to the Constitution.
I guess its a good thing that wasn't what was ruled upon.

no individual religion can become 'superior' to the Constitution....that also includes the 'religions'/beliefs of atheism/relativism/secular humanism etc.....

i still want to know where the 'right' to free contraceptives came from....

I'm going to Hobby Lobby, then Chik Fil A for lunch, then watch Duck Dynasty tonight, and enjoy the day knowing a bunch of hateful bullies are not enjoying America.

Forum List

Back