🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Synod. Jousting Jesuits, Dueling Dominicans

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
ROME, June 2, 2015 - In the latest issue of “La Civiltà Cattolica,” the magazine of the Rome Jesuits printed after inspection by the Vatican authorities, an article signed by director Fr. Antonio Spadaro states at a certain point:

“Doctrinal rigidity and moral rigorism can lead even theologians to extremist positions, which defy the ‘sensus fidei’ of the faithful and even simple common sense. One recent journalistic report cites, with admiration, a letter from an American theologian that makes these ridiculous statements:

“‘Which is, in this case, the more serious evil? To prevent the conception – and very existence – of a human being with an immortal soul, desired by God and destined for eternal happiness? Or to abort a child in the womb? The latter is certainly a grave evil, Gaudium et Spes calls it an abominable crime. But a child exists who will live eternally. In the former circumstance a child God intended to be will never exist.’

“According to this reasoning it is maintained, therefore, that abortion is more acceptable than contraception. Incredible!”

These comments come from a renowned French theologian of the order of Saint Dominic, Jean-Miguel Garrigues, joined by his friend and fellow “La Civiltà Cattolica” author Christoph Schönborn, cardinal of Vienna and himself a Dominican, interviewed for the magazine by Fr. Spadaro.

Who in his turn says he is completely in agreement with him:

“Yes, I share your judgment. I too read those words and was stunned by their lucid senselessness.”

Neither Garrigues nor Spadaro gives the name of the theologian they place under accusation. But the citation they make is unmistakable. It is taken from a letter sent last January 29 to www.chiesa by the American Jesuit Joseph Fessio:

> “La Civiltà Cattolica” Isn’t Always Right. And It’s a Jesuit Who Says So

Fr. Fessio is not an unknown. Formed in the theological school of Joseph Ratzinger - and a prominent member of the circle of his disciples, the “Ratzinger Schülerkreis” - he founded and directs the publishing house Ignatius Press in the United States, which recently made an impression with the book “Remaining in the Truth of Christ,” with contributions from five cardinals against communion for the divorced and remarried.

In the letter, Fr. Fessio was criticizing what another Jesuit of “La Civiltà Cattolica,” Pierre de Charentenay, had written against the bishops of the Philippines, reproving them for being “backward” and “closed off” with respect to the insights of modernity and the promptings of Pope Francis on account of their tough opposition to the law on “reproductive health” backed and steered through the legislature of their country by its Catholic president, Benigno Aquino.

But Garrigues and Spadaro ignore all of this. They pounce upon just one passage of Fr. Fessio’s letter, in which he illustrated a specific case.
Synod. Jousting Jesuits Dueling Dominicans

You can read the rest above.

I do find the argument this side of down right silly.

I had thought most of this was 'settled' by Thomas of Aquina's Summa Theologica centuries ago. In any case, reading through the story and and the links, one side of the argument is being misrepresented by the other, who is referring to a special case and not making a general claim that preventing conception is worse than abortion, so it's the usual 'build a strawman and knock it down' game being played.

Oh no, it's been down right silly and will remain so until the October 2015 Synod of the Bishops on the Family and maybe a good six months after.

Oh no, it's been down right silly and will remain so until the October 2015 Synod of the Bishops on the Family and maybe a good six months after.

Well, I assume that Catholic theologians discussing Catholic theology is pretty much normal.

Is the Democratic Party discussing Democratic Platforms among Democrats themselves silly? It depends on one's biases, I would guess; certainly to some it would be.

Well, I assume that Catholic theologians discussing Catholic theology is pretty much normal.

Is the Democratic Party discussing Democratic Platforms among Democrats themselves silly? It depends on one's biases, I would guess; certainly to some it would be.

Synods seem to bring out the best and worst in people. On the one hand the number of different responses from different corners of the world are interesting. Underhanded tactics that are used to detract from those responses are equally interesting.

Forum List

Back