Tariffs DO raise prices: That is the point!

So, how many people in this thread use a cellphone made in America?

or a TV made in America?

How about the computer you are on, where is it made?
All of my appliances are made in Japan, Germany and China.
I take quality into account.
Make phones and computer hardware in the US and I will buy them.
BTW, almost all computer parts made in China get very inconsistent reviews...try looking on Amazon.

:21::21::21::21:

Yeah, Nvidia graphic cards are just the worst, nobody likes them!

:21::21::21::21::21:

you are so silly sometimes!
I’m in the market for a computer, not a video card.
I was hoping systems would improve as the years go by.

or a TV made in America?

BTW, almost all computer parts made in China get very inconsistent reviews...try looking on Amazon.

the video card is a computer part...you said that "all computer parts" made in China get inconsistent reviews...you are wrong

If you want Americans to reduce their purchases of Chinese products, tariffs are the best way to do it. There will be a slight increase in the retail prices of these products (tariffs are applied at the wholesale level), but consumers can mitigate this effect by switching to other products.

So why all the hoopla about "punishing" American consumers? Does anybody believe that we will be better off by preserving the status quo?

They cannot mitigate the effect because the American goods still cost more even with the tariffs on other goods.

yes, sometimes there is a price for protecting businesses in your own country. Tariffs make american goods price competitive with chinese imports and keep americans working. the same principle applies at the local level, pay a little more for the products of local businesses and keep your local economy sound. Its just common sense, unless you are a libtard.

or a TV made in America?

the video card is a computer part...you said that "all computer parts" made in China get inconsistent reviews...you are wrong
You are correct; the systems get mediocre reviews.
One of the problems is the motherboards are so complicated no company gets them right most of the time.
I will not spend less than 5K on a system because I want it to last a decade.

or a TV made in America?

WHY are they made in China? any idea? In the USA we have labor laws, minimum wages, unions, employee protection laws, limitations of hours worked per week. The chinese have none of those, so of course, they can build them cheaper with slave and child labor. Do you think we should copy their practices?

or a TV made in America?

WHY are they made in China? any idea? In the USA we have labor laws, minimum wages, unions, employee protection laws, limitations of hours worked per week. The chinese have none of those, so of course, they can build them cheaper with slave and child labor. Do you think we should copy their practices?
GG endorses the ends, not the means.

he is a typical confused liberal who is still not over the 2016 election. pathetic

or a TV made in America?

Nope, I am good with them being made in China. It is a win/win for the US.

or a TV made in America?

You are correct; the systems get mediocre reviews.
One of the problems is the motherboards are so complicated no company gets them right most of the time.
I will not spend less than 5K on a system because I want it to last a decade.

No, Nvidia graphic cards do not get mediocre reviews, they are the industry standard.

A decade? are you insane? In a decade it will be like driving a Model T while everyone else is in Mustangs.

I am constantly upgrading mine, one piece as a time as they become reasonably priced for the performance.

Nope, I am good with them being made in China. It is a win/win for the US.

are you also happy with your fruit of the looms being made in costa rica? are you happy that there is no longer a textile industry in the USA, or a commercial shipbuilding industry? Steel and autos were almost gone until Trump fixed the corporate tax laws. careful what you wish for, GG. you might get it.

he is a typical confused liberal who is still not over the 2016 election. pathetic

you are such a fucking moron. I do not give a fuck about 2016, time to move on dude. you people live and die by your politicians. and I just laugh my ass off at you.

Basic trade practices....tariffs are paid by whomever picks up the product on the docks. Let that sink in, prog morons. Okay....so now what happens? The importer can pass the cost along to his retailers or not. Let's say he doesn't because he has contracts he doesn't want to jeopardize...so who pays the tariff? think hard, prog morons....this is hard I know but try. Okay, let's say the importers do pass along the tariff to his retailers. Does the retailer follow suit and risk alienating his customers in the age of Amazon where he is fighting tooth and nail to stay open? Or do the importer and retailer have enough profit margin built into their price to weather a trade war without the consumer paying more? Look at the inflation index....flat as a starlet before the implants. That's all for today or maybe forever....I ain't getting paid for these little life lessons you know.

Basic trade practices....tariffs are paid by whomever picks up the product on the docks. Let that sink in, prog morons. Okay....so now what happens? The importer can pass the cost along to his retailers or not. Let's say he doesn't because he has contracts he doesn't want to jeopardize...so who pays the tariff? think hard, prog morons....this is hard I know but try. Okay, let's say the importers does pass along the tariff to his retailers. Does the retailer follow suit and risk alienating his customers in the age of Amazon where he is fighting tooth and nail to stay open? Or does the importer and retailer have enough profit margin built into their price to weather a trade war without the consumer paying more? Look at the inflation index....flat as a starlet before the implants. That's all for today or maybe forever....I ain't getting paid for these little life lessons you know.
no there's not, the receiving company can deny entry, if the country of origin wants it in, they pick up the tab. it's called customs, and I work in it at times.

you are such a fucking moron. I do not give a fuck about 2016, time to move on dude. you people live and die by your politicians. and I just laugh my ass off at you.

I feel quite sure that my IQ exceeds yours by a significant margin, so the fucking moron in this discussion is clearly you.

If you are over 2016 why do you repeat the dem talking point lies about Trump every day on this silly message board?

I feel quite sure that my IQ exceeds yours by a significant margin, so the fucking moron in this discussion is clearly you.

The fact you just made this post proves your IQ is about that of a head of cabbage. Nobody with an actual high IQ has ever felt the need to tell anyone!

If you are over 2016 why do you repeat the dem talking point lies about Trump every day on this silly message board?

Such a thing has never happened. Feel free to try and give on example

The fact you just made this post proves your IQ is about that of a head of cabbage. Nobody with an actual high IQ has ever felt the need to tell anyone!

Such a thing has never happened. Feel free to try and give on example
You need to start acting like a marine… Marine

no there's not, the receiving company can deny entry, if the country of origin wants it in, they pick up the tab. it's called customs, and I work in it at times.

That was in my next lesson to moron progs. YES, a customs agent can deny entry and thank God they can or we may have imported an atomic bomb on a timer by now. The Japs love to quarantine American products until they either rot or rust which is why I said earlier in another thread that the Japs are next on Trump's list for an ass-kicking. They won't last a week in a trade war with him.

If you want Americans to reduce their purchases of Chinese products, tariffs are the best way to do it. There will be a slight increase in the retail prices of these products (tariffs are applied at the wholesale level), but consumers can mitigate this effect by switching to other products.

So why all the hoopla about "punishing" American consumers? Does anybody believe that we will be better off by preserving the status quo?

Free trade is rational, protective tariffs are irrational. Ask anyone but a trumpanzee and they agree free trade creates partners, protective tariffs create enemies.

Forum List

Back