Taxing those who make money

Whatever , I've explained it to you 6 ways from sunday but you still don't seem to get that when you borrow money from yourself you're not creating an asset, which seems pretty evident to most people.

My point is that the distinction between "funded liabilities" and "unfunded liabilities" fails with regards to the U.S. Government because of this very reason. All liabilities of the U.S. Government can be considered "funded" for the simple reason that the full faith and credit of the u.s. government is sufficient to "fund" a liability for any purpose by any other party.

Whatever , I've explained it to you 6 ways from sunday but you still don't seem to get that when you borrow money from yourself you're not creating an asset, which seems pretty evident to most people.

My point is that the distinction between "funded liabilities" and "unfunded liabilities" fails with regards to the U.S. Government because of this very reason. All liabilities of the U.S. Government can be considered "funded" for the simple reason that the full faith and credit of the u.s. government is sufficient to "fund" a liability for any purpose by any other party.

Well except for the fact that you cannot fund your own liabilities with your own debt, don't believe me? go spend all your retirement savings , write yourself an IOU and try "funding" your retirement with it.

Here endth the lesson.

Well except for the fact that you cannot fund your own liabilities with your own debt, don't believe me? go spend all your retirement savings , write yourself an IOU and try "funding" your retirement with it.

Here endth the lesson.

Unlike the U.S. Government, the dollar is not based on debt instruments that I issue. If it were, like the U.S. Government, there would be no distinction between having a funded and unfunded liability.

Whether or not a liability is funded or unfunded should not depend on who the debtor is. If I want to send my kid to college, and I buy treasuries to back that liability at a future date - is my liability funded? Yes. But its based entirely on the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government. If I have nothing to back it - no treasuries, no stocks or other assets - its unfunded.

Both BOTH statements apply to the government. The government BOTH has a) the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government to back its liabilities AND b) no assets to back its liabilities. Thus the distinction between "funded" and "unfunded" breaks down.

Perhaps a better writer can explain it:

“Consequently, an ‘unfunded liability’ by the government to make good on some financial commitment in the future is functionally no different than a ‘funded liability’ that consists of the only dependable asset around - namely U.S. Treasury obligations,” Kaplan said.

http://www.physorg.com/news157831522.html

To address one of your other points - that we'd be better off if SS were filled with stocks and non-U.S. savings bonds and what not - than simply the full faith and credit of the U.S. - I think you're wrong. If you were to, for instance, invest people's SS money into commercial bonds and stocks - all you're doing is pushing paper around - just the same as before. 30 years later - it will not affect the total amount of goods and services available - it will merely change who gets a bigger share of it. The retirees will get a larger share because of all the paper they own, meaning the workers will have to work more to get the share of goods and services they need.

In the end - either way you slice it - retirement is always "pay as you go". You don't save up food and toilet paper and cars and clothes in a large safe - you save up money or instruments of money. In the end, the goods and services you need must be produced by the workers that are working at the time you are actually retired.

Last edited:
Republicans are so funny. They still think shuffling money around in the "stock market" is the way to make money. That's just gambling and playing "Lotto".

The REAL way America has become wealthy is through "invention, development and production". Yea, "making things". Things that actually get sold. Like I said before, Republicans squabble over pennies and ignore dollars. I guess because real dollars are just to hard to make.

When you get an Insurance Company CEO squeezing 73 million from poor saps who just want medical insurance, Republcians applaud the CEO for sticking it to millions of people, because "he got his".

Whether or not a liability is funded or unfunded should not depend on who the debtor is. If I want to send my kid to college, and I buy treasuries to back that liability at a future date - is my liability funded?

I don't know how to better explain it to other than pointing out that there's a difference in you buying treasuries and the treasury department issuing treasury bills to itself, since you are lending money to the federal government and receiving an asset (debt instrument) in return, whereas the federal government is in effect issuing itself a IOU against future revenues in exchange for monies that it is spending on other things (SS Surplus fund), which not only attaches future income (debt + debt service) but degrades that "full faith and credit".

If you'd like to read more about the Social Security unfunded liabilities perhaps you'll go back and read the link that I gave you to THE SOCIAL SECURITY TRUSTEES BOARD.

Here I'll give it to you again .....
2009 Trustees Report: Section IV.B, Long-range estimates

Pay particular attention to section

5. Additional Measures of OASDI Unfunded Obligations
"The first line of table IV.B7 shows that the present value of future cost less future taxes over the next 100 years for all current participants equals $18.7 trillion. For this purpose, current participants are defined as individuals who attain age 15 or older in 2009. Subtracting the current value of the trust fund (the accumulated value of past OASDI taxes less cost) gives a closed group (excluding all future participants) unfunded obligation of $16.3 trillion. This value represents the shortfall of lifetime contributions for all past and current participants relative to the lifetime costs associated with their generations. For a fully‑advance‑funded program this value would be equal to zero."

I don't know how to better explain it to other than pointing out that there's a difference in you buying treasuries and the treasury department issuing treasury bills to itself,

But BOTH are backed by the SAME THING - the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government.

If you'd like to read more about the Social Security unfunded liabilities

First I'd like you to explain the functional difference between a social security "funded" and "unfunded" liability.

5. Additional Measures of OASDI Unfunded Obligations
"The first line of table IV.B7 shows that the present value of future cost less future taxes over the next 100 years for all current participants equals $18.7 trillion. For this purpose, current participants are defined as individuals who attain age 15 or older in 2009. Subtracting the current value of the trust fund (the accumulated value of past OASDI taxes less cost) gives a closed group (excluding all future participants) unfunded obligation of $16.3 trillion. This value represents the shortfall of lifetime contributions for all past and current participants relative to the lifetime costs associated with their generations. For a fully‑advance‑funded program this value would be equal to zero."

So wait - a "funded liability" is one where FUTURE tax revenues are expected to be able to cover it? You previously explained to me a funded liability would be backed by a super-special secret combination of foreign bonds, gold, stocks, cabbage patch dolls, and valuable coins. Which is it?

RETIREMENT IS PAY AS YOU GO
in ANY system. The amount of financial PAPER floating around does not change the amount of GOODS AND SERVICES. Ultimately - the workers of the future will be supplying the goods and services to the retirees of the future - no matter how its done.

Last edited:
But BOTH are backed by the SAME THING - the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government.
Except for the fact that functionally they do not have the same effect on each holder, do they? in one case it's asset in the other it's a liability... you do know the difference don't you?

First I'd like you to explain the functional difference between a social security "funded" and "unfunded" liability.
Why should I bother anymore, you apparently don't even think they exist but apparently the SS Trustees board does, so read the link or don't , I don't really care anymore because this is like banging my head against a logic proof brick wall.

So wait - a "funded liability" is one where FUTURE tax revenues are expected to be able to cover it? You previously explained to me a funded liability would be backed by a super-special secret combination of foreign bonds, gold, stocks, cabbage patch dolls, and valuable coins. Which is it?

Nice straw man you got there, all I did was posted an example to your question regarding assets, then you added "super secret, yada-yada", FYI I'm not a portfolio manager and never claimed I was.

I can see that I'm wasting my time here....believe whatever you wish to believe.

Republicans are so funny. They still think shuffling money around in the "stock market" is the way to make money. That's just gambling and playing "Lotto".

The REAL way America has become wealthy is through "invention, development and production". Yea, "making things". Things that actually get sold. Like I said before, Republicans squabble over pennies and ignore dollars. I guess because real dollars are just to hard to make.

When you get an Insurance Company CEO squeezing 73 million from poor saps who just want medical insurance, Republcians applaud the CEO for sticking it to millions of people, because "he got his".

Hey now that CEO took all the risks...

Except for the fact that functionally they do not have the same effect on each holder, do they? in one case it's asset in the other it's a liability

Wrong. Social security is a liability backed by the full faith and credit of the US government. If I have my kids education savings in treasuries, then that is a liability backed by the full faith and credit of the US Government. In EITHER case - if the US Government defaults on its obligations, the liability is no longer "funded".
Why should I bother anymore,
I'm starting to wonder that myself, as you have failed in every way imaginable thus far.

Nice straw man you got there, all I did was posted an example to your question regarding assets, then you added "super secret, yada-yada", FYI I'm not a portfolio manager and never claimed I was.

I didn't say you were a portfolio manager. YOU are the one who volunteered the information, I merely asked you to explain it. So please explain the super-secret combination of assets that is safer than US Treasuries - the one you are sure exists, even though, you can't explain it, or tell me who can - because once you explain it, I'm going to take it and make millions off the idea.

I can see that I'm wasting my time here

This is the third time you've attempted to end this conversation. Bluffing again?

Who benefits the most from taxing those who work for their money? How will Americans work hard to produce wealth if they are going to loss nearly half their money every April 15th? Moreover, why?

I'm not sure what you mean by "nearly half" My wife and I both work hard, and after all our deductions and credits we are paying less than 7.5% in income tax. (she pays FICA, I don't because I'm a graduate student and research assistant. I have no idea why graduate student income is exempt from FICA)

In fact, a married couple, filing jointing, with no kids, who makes $500,000 a year, and takes the standard deduction and two exemptions, will pay 30.4% of their income in federal income, social security, and medicare taxes.

The same couple making $250,000 year pays 28.2% - that includes income and FICA taxes.

30.4% is not exactly "nearly half". Its actually close to a quarter than a half.

Even a couple making $1,000,000 will pay 33.4% - this is much close to 1/3 than 1/2

check you math buddy

From my joint tax return:
$104,080 joint income, $33,604 (S.E.Tax/FED/St.Ind.) = 32.29%
Also paid 7% state sales taxes on say 66% of Gross income = $4,800
Also paid property taxes = $2,500.
And finally about $1,500 in federal and state gas taxes
Total taxes paid $42,404/104,080 = real amount paid in taxes = 40.74%

Last edited:
Who benefits the most from taxing those who work for their money? How will Americans work hard to produce wealth if they are going to loss nearly half their money every April 15th? Moreover, why?

I'm not sure what you mean by "nearly half" My wife and I both work hard, and after all our deductions and credits we are paying less than 7.5% in income tax. (she pays FICA, I don't because I'm a graduate student and research assistant. I have no idea why graduate student income is exempt from FICA)

In fact, a married couple, filing jointing, with no kids, who makes $500,000 a year, and takes the standard deduction and two exemptions, will pay 30.4% of their income in federal income, social security, and medicare taxes.

The same couple making $250,000 year pays 28.2% - that includes income and FICA taxes.

30.4% is not exactly "nearly half". Its actually close to a quarter than a half.

Even a couple making $1,000,000 will pay 33.4% - this is much close to 1/3 than 1/2

check you math buddy

Still closer to 1/3 than 1/2

check you math buddy

The problem is, that the marginal tax rates apply to the next dollar earned. Which means that at a point just above subsistence level, if you add all the taxes you are about to pay on that next dollar it well exceeds 50%.

Take a self employed person in Indiana earning jointly with spouse 100k with AGI of 85k:
Fed SE tax 15.3%
Fed tax rate 25%
Ind tax rate 3.4%
Ind SalesTx 5.25% (7% applied to about 3/4of purchases = 5.25%)
PropTx......... 3.0% ($2500/85k)
F&SGasTx.....1.7% (1,500/85k)
Total......... 53.65%
And here is where the incentive is applied; to earn or not to earn the next $1.00 or the next $10,000 etc.

EDIT; If the Bush tax cuts lapse increase those taxes $2,500 or 3%

Last edited:

Those two Republican failures in Iraq and Afghanistan cost a lot of money. How else are you going to pay for it. Oh, that's right. By shifting the burden to the middle class. I forgot, sorry.

The problem is, that the marginal tax rates apply to the next dollar earned. Which means that at a point just above subsistence level, if you add all the taxes you are about to pay on that next dollar it well exceeds 50%.

Take a self employed person in Indiana earning jointly with spouse 100k with AGI of 85k:
Fed SE tax 15.3%
Fed tax rate 28%
Ind tax rate 3.4%
Ind SalesTx 5.25% (7% applied to about 3/4of purchases = 5.25%)
PropTx......... 3.0% ($2500/85k)
F&SGasTx.....1.7% (1,500/85k)
Total......... 56.65%
And here is where the incentive is applied; to earn or not to earn the next $1.00 or the next $10,000 etc.

My accountant did an anlysis for me....as I am an s-corp....so net profit for one of my companies is equal to my gross personal income..

His projections identified a number....where if sales went one dollar over that number, my net income would drop by nearly 35K.....and he suggested that I evaluate sales projections and find a point where I need to halt sales...unless I believed sales would exceed an even higher number.

It was much speculation and too difficult for me to project, so I ignored the suggestion....

But I am small potatos.......I bet the big boys have their accountants all over that.

Those two Republican failures in Iraq and Afghanistan cost a lot of money. How else are you going to pay for it. Oh, that's right. By shifting the burden to the middle class. I forgot, sorry.

Each citizen should have equal % burden... except in the mind of those, like yourself, who prefer selective equality.... equality when it benefits you, inequality for others when it benefits you

Each citizen should have equal % burden... except in the mind of those, like yourself, who prefer selective equality.... equality when it benefits you, inequality for others when it benefits you

Sort of the same philosophy of the liberal use of the constitution...follow it to the letter if it benefits a liberal's views...and rewrite it when it doesnt.

Why can't you just tell me?

If I want to send my son to harvard, and I want the liability to be "funded" - I can buy treasury bills which mature just before and around the time his schooling starts.

If I want to make social security a "funded liability" - I need an asset. Which asset do I buy? I have a feeling that since you can't answer this very simple question, neither will your links.

Okay, I thought you were interested in the details of the problem, however we could easily invest in foreign bonds, equities, gold, land, or a basket of assets that balance risk with acceptable returns.....however under the current methodology we're not "investing" it in anything except the debasement of our currency, since essentially we're just printing money to put into a mythical trust fund because we are SPENDING the SS revenues and replacing it with self issued debt instruments and we still have over $14 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities in SS over and above said debt instruments in the "trust fund".

I'm finding it very hard to get through to you. You're telling me how NOT to make SS a funded liability, but that's not what I asked. Please read the question again:

If I want to make social security a "funded liability" - I need an asset. Which asset do I buy?

That is the question and its a damned fine question, too.

Sadly what you're doing is you're trying to make a color blind person understand the subtle nature of something that is chartreuse.

Of course every puchaser of T-Bills know exactly what is backing up those (nothing but the promise to pay) , but the social security is unfunded folks, can't quite make the connection that social security is likewise secured by nothing but a promise to pay.

Now consider that again...

They understand T-Bills have value for everybody in the world, EXCEPT ofr Social Security.

It take a special kind of LITERALIST'S BLINDER not to get it.

It took years and years of misleading propaganda to so confuse so many of our fellow citizens about the nature of money, and the nature of public debt, debt and the social contract it takes to give those things any actual meaning.

That is why, incidently, so many of these social security cranks are also GOLD BUGS.

They don't really understand what money is, you see?

Last edited:
I'd like to know at what time did we cross that line where the money you earn is no longer your property? We seem to have crossed it as there are many, not a majority mind you, but many who believe they have a preemptive claim to your earnings.

Does it get more unAmerican?

Forum List

Back