Tea Party Persecution...Why?

So the Tea Party movement is essentially Libertarianism sans all that pesky liberty. /jk

No. :eusa_eh:

/jk means I was just joking.

But seriously though, I've seen enough contradiction in this thread from self-proclaimed Tea Party supporters to know that it means different things to different people. And that's not necessarily a bad thing either.

Oh...Ok....:redface: sorry bout that....:eusa_angel:

OK. Fair enough.

So the Tea Party movement is essentially Libertarianism sans all that pesky liberty. /jk

Nope, the Tea Party is a tax revolt.

One reason we, as Libertarians fail in elections is our purity tests. Some can be right about 99% of issue, but let him hold an opinion on the most minor issue that some Libertarians disagree with and they'll eat him alive.

The Tea Party is a single issue movement, that issue is taxes. Not drugs, taxes. Not abortion, taxes. Not gay privilege, taxes,

We as Libertarians better learn to define a battle, fight it, win it, and then move on; IF we ever hope to make any change.

This is how the Marxists have done it, one issue at a time. Abortion was fought as a single issue, until it was won. Federalizing education was fought as a single, focused issue, until local schools were nationalized. Gay marriage was fought as a single issue, until the Marxists won. They didn't take on every issue at the same time - they focused their efforts and have eroded the Republic in little bits. IF we want to return to a Constitutional Republic, then we too will have to fight our battles, one issue at a time.

Taxes are a damned good place to start.

Perception is reality. My perception of the USA is that it is a villiage. The villiage savings and loan is owned and run by the Republican. The guy who works at the power plant who has a 30 year mortgage with the S&L is the democrat. The retired old guy who lives on the corner who spends his time leaning out the window and yelling at kids to "get the hell off of my lawn!", and attends the HOA and city council meetings and tries to take over the mike and who is constantly filing one law suit after another against them is the Tea Party. A lot of the people in the villiage tend to cross the street when they see him coming down the sidewalk....

Last edited:
Perception is reality. My perception of the USA is that it is a villiage. The villiage savings and loan is owned and run by the Republican. The guy who works at the power plant who has a 30 year mortgage with the S&L is the democrat. The retired old guy who lives on the corner who spends his time leaning out the window and yelling at kids to "get the hell off of my lawn!", and attends the HOA and city council meetings and tries to take over the mike and who is constantly filing one law suit after another against them is the Tea Party. A lot of the people in the villiage tend to cross the street when they see him coming down the sidewalk....

The Republican owns the Café ... The Democrat is the local beggar ... And the Tea Party member just tries to protect both of them from each other.

OK. Fair enough.

Nope, the Tea Party is a tax revolt.

One reason we, as Libertarians fail in elections is our purity tests. Some can be right about 99% of issue, but let him hold an opinion on the most minor issue that some Libertarians disagree with and they'll eat him alive.

The Tea Party is a single issue movement, that issue is taxes. Not drugs, taxes. Not abortion, taxes. Not gay privilege, taxes,

We as Libertarians better learn to define a battle, fight it, win it, and then move on; IF we ever hope to make any change.

This is how the Marxists have done it, one issue at a time. Abortion was fought as a single issue, until it was won. Federalizing education was fought as a single, focused issue, until local schools were nationalized. Gay marriage was fought as a single issue, until the Marxists won. They didn't take on every issue at the same time - they focused their efforts and have eroded the Republic in little bits. IF we want to return to a Constitutional Republic, then we too will have to fight our battles, one issue at a time.

Taxes are a damned good place to start.

I would argue spending. Thus... the problem. (Getting people to agree on levels of importance is just as difficult, if not more so, than getting them to agree on solutions.)

I would argue spending. Thus... the problem. (Getting people to agree on levels of importance is just as difficult, if not more so, than getting them to agree on solutions.)

I agree, taxes and spending are the same issue.

Did you know that if spending were frozen at current levels, in 3 short years we would have a budget surplus? Without doing ANYTHING else. The Communists portray the budget as insurmountable, but that is a fiction. Simply FREEZE spending at current levels, and we are out of this mess.

[MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION]

Agree or disagree?

The Tea Party isn't concerned with marijuana or any other social issues. It is concerned with restoring the government the Founder's intended.

So they don't care about the federal government overstepping their constitutional authority?

How exactly to you reconcile "restoring the government the founders intended" with taking a blind eye to an obvious example of the government being considerably out of line with what the founders intended?

Are you calling the Tea Party hypocrites? Because it sure sounds that way.

Of course they care about the federal government overstepping its authority to the point that the federal government now exists purely to perpetuate itself. It swallows up all the resources it can for its own benefit and throws just enough bones to the the people to keep the people quiet.

It is THAT the Tea Party rails against and will fix if it can. It is not that individual Tea Party members do not care about the issue of marijuana, abortion, gay marriage, health care, etc. etc. Most do have opinions one way or the other on all of these things. But they see these as the prerogative of the people in the states or local communities to decide and not the constitutional role of the federal government.

The fact that the hateful, clueless, ignorant, and partisan cannot separate those two things in their minds is part of the problem. The government, to perpetuate itself, and the media, as the loyal lapdogs to an authoritarian government, are doing their damndest to keep people misinformed and demonize the Tea Party as much as possible so that it gains as little traction as possible.

To restore the federal government to its constitutional roots and thereby restore it to the small but effective and necessary government that the Constitution specifies--low taxes, recognition and protection of our unalienable rights, and maximum liberty--is the modern Tea Party goal and purpose.

I agree, taxes and spending are the same issue.

Did you know that if spending were frozen at current levels, in 3 short years we would have a budget surplus? Without doing ANYTHING else. The Communists portray the budget as insurmountable, but that is a fiction. Simply FREEZE spending at current levels, and we are out of this mess.

I'd be interested to see the assumptions and math that support this assertion.

But regardless, I find it a somewhat ironic that you'd label people who don't agree with you as Communists in a thread decrying Tea Party persecution.

The Tea Party is a tax revolt. There is one issue, taxes.

The Tea Party dot org website says otherwise.

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs

1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.
2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.
3. A strong military is essential.
4. Special interests must be eliminated.
5. Gun ownership is sacred.
6. Government must be downsized.
7. The national budget must be balanced.
8. Deficit spending must end.
9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.
10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.
11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.
12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.
13. Intrusive government must be stopped.
14. English as our core language is required.
15. Traditional family values are encouraged.

Hey dipwad, practically all of that directly relates to taxes!

I'd be interested to see the assumptions and math that support this assertion.

But regardless, I find it a somewhat ironic that you'd label people who don't agree with you as Communists in a thread decrying Tea Party persecution.

I don't label people who disagree with me as Communists; I label Communists as Communists.

For too long, we dance around the truth and make our little excuses, but I', done with it.

Those who seek a society of confiscatory taxation for the purpose of distributing wealth to achieve an aim of more evenly allocating wealth in accordance to state desires are properly termed "Communists."

I've just stopped playing games.

Here is the CATO report that explains how a simple freeze would balance our budget.

New CBO Numbers Re-Confirm that Balancing the Budget Is Simple with Modest Fiscal Restraint | Cato @ Liberty

Hey dipwad, practically all of that directly relates to taxes!

I don't agree that the Tea Party's primary concern is taxes though its emphasis to restore the federal government to its Constitutional intent certainly would involve tax reform to eliminate the oppressive, illegal, and irreponsibile taxation that is now the norm.

Teaparty.org is one tea party group only and is not necessarily representative of the whole, but you go down that list of 15 items, fourteen of them do relate to restoring government to its Constitutional intent and #15 was something near and dear to the Founders heart. There is nothing wrong with the federal government encouraging anything. It simply was not intended to finance, regulate, or order any politician's view of what society must be as it does now.

Last edited:

When the GOP hijacked the Tea Party, I made my exit. Teaparty.org does not represent the goals of the movement.

Well, I have never actually gone to the Tea Party Website, so I am pleased that their core beliefs have been posted here. I see xenophobia, anti-gay, ballooned military spending, a demand for reduced taxes even though they are at their second lowest level since WW2, and a desire to return to the days of Herbert Hoover who represented a government concept that was defeated 4 times in a row by the same man. The only thing missing is a direct statement about God.

My perception of the Tea Party is confirmed.

Well, I have never actually gone to the Tea Party Website, so I am pleased that their core beliefs have been posted here. I see xenophobia, anti-gay, ballooned military spending, a demand for reduced taxes even though they are at their second lowest level since WW2, and a desire to return to the days of Herbert Hoover who represented a government concept that was defeated 4 times in a row by the same man. The only thing missing is a direct statement about God.

You're delusional.

Not one word in there about homosexuals, Not one word about military spending.

Your bigotry is not "confirmed," spunky.

Last edited:

The founders of this nation held those same beliefs. Might be time for you to move to north korea or cuba. they think as you do.

For the record:

1. Illegal aliens are here illegally. - Pretty obvious

2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable. - Makes perfect sense,

3. A strong military is essential. - Yep. Note that this says nothing of foreign adventurism.

4. Special interests must be eliminated. - Not sure what they mean

5. Gun ownership is sacred. - Yep.

6. Government must be downsized. - Yep.

7. The national budget must be balanced. - Yep.

8. Deficit spending must end. - Yep.

9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal. - Yep.

10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must. - Yep.

11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory. - Yep.

12. Political offices must be available to average citizens. - Not sure what they mean.

13. Intrusive government must be stopped. - Yep.

14. English as our core language is required. - Yep.

15. Traditional family values are encouraged. - Not the business of the Federal Government - Nope.

Forum List

Back