Teacher Disciplined for Trying to Force Kid to Stand

Keep raising children who do not respect this country and have no connection to it and you will have an adult population that doesn't care about it or the people.

Which might be a good thing when blacks and liberals see the bombs going off and get a hearty "who? ME!"
Engaging in dissent, protest, and free expression is the greatest manifestation of patriotism and respect for America.

To me, the kid should've been left alone. It wasn't like other people were physically being hurt by the kid's decision to remain sitting, but if the other students decided to not have anything more to do with the kid, that would just have to be the way that it is since they have the freedom to put their feelings out there too.

God bless you and the kids always!!!

Holly
I disagree. It's about order in the classroom. If the teacher can't keep it, she can't teach. When it's time to do a group activity, all students should be required to participate.
Wrong.

Compelling students to say the pledge has nothing to do with order in the classroom, and everything to do with conservative authoritarianism.

To me, the kid should've been left alone. It wasn't like other people were physically being hurt by the kid's decision to remain sitting, but if the other students decided to not have anything more to do with the kid, that would just have to be the way that it is since they have the freedom to put their feelings out there too.

Holly
I disagree. It's about order in the classroom. If the teacher can't keep it, she can't teach. When it's time to do a group activity, all students should be required to participate.
Wrong.

Compelling students to say the pledge has nothing to do with order in the classroom, and everything to do with conservative authoritarianism.
You should read the story. Nobody was compelled to recite the Pledge.

Thank you. Liberals don't get this concept. Parents/teachers are there to teach and discipline. CHILDREN do not have adult rights. Liberals are the reason children are such "skulls full of mush."

Thank you. Liberals don't get this concept. Parents/teachers are there to teach and discipline. CHILDREN do not have adult rights. Liberals are the reason children are such "skulls full of mush."
Just admit that your primitive brain just can't grasp the concept of Rights...

Apparently children have First Amendment rights.

BTW, the little BLACK kid hates America

CHICAGO (CBS) — A Blue Island high school teacher has been disciplined, after trying to force a student to stand for the pledge of allegiance.

Michael Stillman, an attorney for Community High School District 218, wouldn’t say how the teacher was disciplined, but said her behavior did not rise to the level of a fireable offense.
The student’s mother, Kelly Porter, said the teacher was suspended.

“I am very happy with the outcome, and what this tells me is my son’s First Amendment right was definitely violated. I’m grateful that the teacher was reprimanded, suspended, because it sends a message to other schools that you cannot violate children’s First Amendment right and get away with it,” she said.
Teacher Disciplined After Trying To Force Student To Stand For Pledge
For a long time now, I have been thinking that children shouldn't be made to perform the pledge of allegiance. After all, their being in the United States is simply because of the location of the mother. Once they are older and understand the entire history of the United States and its Constitution and Amendments, then they should be given the opportunity to voluntarily join those who wish to pledge allegiance and perhaps cite a nation that they think is better.....then go there.

Holly

Well, since the USSC ruled decades ago that schools cannot make recitation of the pledge mandatory, do you think it should be removed entirely?
Recitation. Unless his legs are broken, he can at least stand.

Why do you Leftists hate America so much but choose not to leave....especially with so many generous people offering to help you pack and pay for your voyage?

Where do you get from that that a) I'm a leftist and b) I hate America?

I believe there have been court rulings saying that students do not need to stand for the pledge.

Even without that, you said that all students should be required to participate in group activities. If the pledge is being recited as a group, but the USSC has ruled that schools cannot compel students to recite the pledge, do you think it should be removed entirely? Or are you OK with having this particular group activity remain even if not all students participate?

Holly

Well, since the USSC ruled decades ago that schools cannot make recitation of the pledge mandatory, do you think it should be removed entirely?

Why do you Leftists hate America so much but choose not to leave....especially with so many generous people offering to help you pack and pay for your voyage?

I believe there have been court rulings saying that students do not need to stand for the pledge.

Even without that, you said that all students should be required to participate in group activities. If the pledge is being recited as a group, but the USSC has ruled that schools cannot compel students to recite the pledge, do you think it should be removed entirely? Or are you OK with having this particular group activity remain even if not all students participate?
The Supreme Court specified recitation. Make any argument you want, but don't include the Supreme Court because it doesn't back up what you say.

The high school I went back in 2002-2006 didn't force kids to pledge allegiance to the flag. It was optional as it should be. You can't force kids or anyone to pledge allegiance to the flag. This isn't North Korea.

Holly

The Supreme Court specified recitation. Make any argument you want, but don't include the Supreme Court because it doesn't back up what you say.

You made the argument that students need to all participate in group activities. I have pointed out that the USSC has ruled that students cannot be compelled to recite the pledge. Even if students can be compelled to stand during the pledge, since they cannot be compelled to recite it, that is a group activity that not all students can be required to participate in. Should the pledge therefore not be said, since you think that group activities should be participated in by all students?

Also, in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, the USSC talked specifically about not only reciting the pledge but saluting during it.

In Banks v. Board of Public Instruction of Dade County, the district court cited West Virginia v. Barnette as well as Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District in saying that students have a First Amendment right to sit during the pledge. So while the Supreme Court may not have ruled specifically that standing during the pledge cannot be compelled, other courts have used USSC rulings to say that.

In America now, if you are black and make a stupid gesture, you are simultaneously holy, a rebel, and a patriot all in one.

If you are law abiding, hard working, tax paying white person, you are evil incarnate.

The class should stand and say the pledge. The one who wishes to sit, sits. Then the class lines up and silently walks in a circle around the one who is sitting while staring straight at him or her.

It is important for the students to say nothing the entire time.

Forum List

Back