Teacher Tells Student He Can Be Arrested for Speaking Ill of Obama

It's a lot more than just this one example that causes me to indict the status quo in the public education system.

Piss poor results, skyrocketing costs, teachers that cannot be fired and have little incentive to thrive, standardized testing, no school choice for families, tax dollars spent on administration instead of students and last but certainly not least, kids graduating that still can't read or write, much less do basic mathematics. THAT'S why I condemn public education.

This idiot teacher is but the latest example of what a government run monopoly produces.

I know countless intelligent and successful products of public education. You must hang out with a lot of losers, no offense.

I too know countless intelligent and successful people DESPITE their public education, myself included. If you are also intelligent, then you'd realize anecdotal evidence cannot overcome the overall crappy results public education produces.

The crappy results you speak of are themselves largely anecdotal. And even the empirical data that your argument is surely based upon is wildly misleading. Our education system still produces the best and brightest in the world. That means far more to me than meaningless comparisons of 'averages' that don't amount to a hill of beans.

I know countless intelligent and successful products of public education. You must hang out with a lot of losers, no offense.

I too know countless intelligent and successful people DESPITE their public education, myself included. If you are also intelligent, then you'd realize anecdotal evidence cannot overcome the overall crappy results public education produces.

The crappy results you speak of are themselves largely anecdotal. And even the empirical data that your argument is surely based upon is wildly misleading. Our education system still produces the best and brightest in the world. That means far more to me than meaningless comparisons of 'averages' that don't amount to a hill of beans.

Really?

• American students rank 25th in math and 21st in science compared to students in 30 industrialized countries.
  • America’s top math students rank 25th out of 30 countries when compared with top students elsewhere in the world.
  • By the end of 8th grade, U.S. students are two years behind in the math being studied by peers in other countries.
  • Sixty eight percent of 8th graders can’t read proficiently, and most will never catch up.
  • More than 1.2 million students drop out of school every year. That’s more than 6,000 students every school day and one every 26 seconds.
  • The national high school graduation rate is only 70 percent, with states ranging from a high of 84 percent in Utah to a low of 54 percent in South Carolina.
  • Graduation rates are much lower for minority students. Only about half of the nation’s African-American and Latino students graduate on time from high school.

Statistics on American K-12 Public Education - The Broad Foundation - Education

Really?

• American students rank 25th in math and 21st in science compared to students in 30 industrialized countries.
  • America’s top math students rank 25th out of 30 countries when compared with top students elsewhere in the world.
  • By the end of 8th grade, U.S. students are two years behind in the math being studied by peers in other countries.
  • Sixty eight percent of 8th graders can’t read proficiently, and most will never catch up.
  • More than 1.2 million students drop out of school every year. That’s more than 6,000 students every school day and one every 26 seconds.
  • The national high school graduation rate is only 70 percent, with states ranging from a high of 84 percent in Utah to a low of 54 percent in South Carolina.
  • Graduation rates are much lower for minority students. Only about half of the nation’s African-American and Latino students graduate on time from high school.

Those stats can all be easily manipulated to suggest pretty much anything the 'statistician' wants them to suggest. I'd need to see the raw data before drawing any conclusions about that. I've actually attended public school outside the United States. have you?

Really?

Those stats can all be easily manipulated to suggest pretty much anything the 'statistician' wants them to suggest. I'd need to see the raw data before drawing any conclusions about that.

The raw data used for those stats is referenced in the link. One would think someone as intelligent as you would have seen that. :eusa_whistle:

I've actually attended public school outside the United States. have you?

Again with the anecdotal evidence. Those intelligent and successful products you mention...do you include yourself in that group? I'm not so sure...

Really?

Those stats can all be easily manipulated to suggest pretty much anything the 'statistician' wants them to suggest. I'd need to see the raw data before drawing any conclusions about that.

The raw data used for those stats is referenced in the link. One would think someone as intelligent as you would have seen that. :eusa_whistle:

Again with the anecdotal evidence. Those intelligent and successful products you mention...do you include yourself in that group? I'm not so sure...

You can believe the sky is falling if you want, I happen to know better.

You can believe the sky is falling if you want.

Ah, I see, the "La-la-la. I'm not listening to you!" retort. Pure genius.

I happen to know better

Link?

The things people get away with saying about this president could be a good discussion in class. He's been called all kinds of disrespectful names and accused of being a murderer, terrorist, a real live monster.. His wife too. Same with Clinton and his wife.

If anyone said these terrible things about the Republican presidents, oh my goodness. There would be hell to pay especially around here. And we'd better not try and say anything about Laura.. :eek:

I think it would be a very good thing if Rush and Hannity were arrested. Maybe Beck too.

Yup... I bet the Obama's are quit envious of the love fest that was shown Bush.

Yup. Love fest indeed

Guess she kinda sorta forgot about Bush being called everything from Hitler to a baby killer.

I do believe he was hung in effigy and his likness burned as well.

Yup A love fest to be sure.

^ this from the guy who thinks the 'raw' data is available at the links he provided. :lmao:

Several links to .gov websites from which the raw data was obtained. Perhaps you need more statistics demonstrating just how wonderful our public education system is:

From the ultra conservative Daily Beast:Why Can't U.S. Students Compete With the Rest of the World? - The Daily Beast
32 percent of U.S. public and private-school students in the class of 2011 are deemed proficient in mathematics, placing the United States 32nd among the 65 nations that participated in the latest international tests administered by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

And another:
Losing the Brains Race - Reason.com
American 15-year-olds are stuck in the middle of the pack in many fundamental areas, including reading and math. Yet the United States is near the top in education spending.

And yet another:
Why Students in Some Countries Do Better : Education Next
Data from the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) again show that differences from country to country in per-pupil spending do not help in understanding differences in educational performance.

Now, how is that proof coming along? You know, that we have a wonderful education system? The link proving you "know better"?

^ this from the guy who thinks the 'raw' data is available at the links he provided. :lmao:

Several links to .gov websites from which the raw data was obtained. Perhaps you need more statistics demonstrating just how wonderful our public education system is:

From the ultra conservative Daily Beast:Why Can't U.S. Students Compete With the Rest of the World? - The Daily Beast
32 percent of U.S. public and private-school students in the class of 2011 are deemed proficient in mathematics, placing the United States 32nd among the 65 nations that participated in the latest international tests administered by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

And another:
American 15-year-olds are stuck in the middle of the pack in many fundamental areas, including reading and math. Yet the United States is near the top in education spending.

And yet another:
Data from the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) again show that differences from country to country in per-pupil spending do not help in understanding differences in educational performance.

Now, how is that proof coming along? You know, that we have a wonderful education system? The link proving you "know better"?

:rofl:

Dude, you can't even tell the difference between raw data, a statistical analysis of the data and a fucking bibliographical citation of a study. On a positive note however, holding yourself up as a shining example of our public school system is beginning to win me over to your argument. But alas, it's still far too anecdotal for conclusion leaping. :lol:

And another:

And yet another:

Dude, you can't even tell the difference between raw data, a statistical analysis of the data and a fucking bibliographical citation of a study. On a positive note however, holding yourself up as a shining example of our public school system is beginning to win me over to your argument. But alas, it's still far too anecdotal for conclusion leaping. :lol:

So, in the LESS THAN THREE MINUTES it took you to post, you checked out the sources from the provided links. Impressive...for a full of shit liar.

Now, how are those links coming that prove our public education system produces excellent results?

And another:

And yet another:

So, in the LESS THAN THREE MINUTES it took you to post, you checked out the sources from the provided links. Impressive...for a full of shit liar.

Now, how are those links coming that prove our public education system produces excellent results?

Yes. It really didn't take long. I have a broadband internet connection.

Then it ought to be no problem providing links with raw data to support your assertion, that our public education system produces good results. Go ahead, we're all waiting.

Then it ought to be no problem providing links with raw data to support your assertion, that our public education system produces good results. Go ahead, we're all waiting.

I never offered to dipshit. :thup:

You're just like the other fear mongering idiots who post study after study allegedly PROVING that the quality of healthcare in the United States is somehow substandard, even though it's still the best quality available.

You're just like the other fear mongering idiots who post study after study allegedly PROVING that the quality of healthcare in the United States is somehow substandard, even though it's still the best quality available.

Yea...didn't think you could back up your bravado. :doubt:

Yea...didn't think you could back up your bravado. :doubt:

Witty retort, did you write that yourself? :lmao:

Forum List

Back