Teacher Under Fire For Telling Student to Speak English

Teacher also threw the student out of the classroom. The fact someone was recording showed this was a bit of a thing already.

I wonder what she taught.

Teacher also threw the student out of the classroom. The fact someone was recording showed this was a bit of a thing already.

I wonder what she taught.
Seems like the kind of person who bitches about having the option to press two for Spanish when they call customer service, or grumbles under their breath when they’re in line behind someone in the grocery store who happens to be speaking Spanish to a companion. The kind of teacher who probably taught for 20 years exclusively with native English speaking students, received training on working with non-native speakers, but didn’t have the patience to deal with actual human beings.

Learn Spanish...the rest of the continent speaks Spanish or Portuguese.

The USA's primary language is English though and btw, what's one of the rules here on USMB? Tell us again, what language must we type on here and why?

I was forced to learn a foreign language when I was a child.

Because when you were a child this country switched over to English.

Should it be a requirement to learn math if you are not going to become a mathematician?

Not the same thing.

A public school CAN'T turn a student away.

Then why is suspension and expulsion considered disciplinary actions?

Screaming in someone's face "Speak English!" does not magically make them able to do so to the satisfaction of an ignorant, impatient douche.

Then they should learn.

I would have to check their laws to see if they do in fact have an official language. We do not.

If you don't know that they speak Spanish in Mexico and French in France then I don't know what to tell you. Also, how many Spanish speaking people do you talk to on a regular basis versus English speaking people?

What is the official language of the United States?
#StupidSpeak

By "official" you imply what is promoted by the self-appointed authorities. In order to create a dumb and confused subject-class, they need to push this ignorant, unstructured, and dysfunctional Postmodern usage and block all criticism of such parroted squawking noises.

How old do you think I am? In the 1960’s English was already an established language. Thanks to my Grandmother I was fortunate enough to learn my language first.

I know you idiot that's what I meant.

If you don't know that they speak Spanish in Mexico and French in France ....

I do know, of course. That is not the same as an "official language." The majority of people in the US speak English, but we do not have an "official language."

The 1A has nothing to do with delineating English or any other language, it has to do with the government not censoring/restricting freedom of thought, expression and communication, but that doesn't mean anything goes in standardized speaking and communication neither. What would happen if kids started showing up for school wanting to speak Klingon? Or Breton? Tibetan or Belarusian?

I've had Tibetan students who couldn't speak English when they first started in school. Guess what? They learned. Over time. With great effort. Going from beginner to capable of using a second language for challenging academic work takes about 7 years. Most of the posters wagging fingers on this thread couldn't do it.

Forum List

Back