Teachers on the move

Tru dat. Not sure the year it began, but when I was in grade school in the 60s and 70s, if you screwed off too bad, the teacher would kick your ass, then send you home and then the old man really let you have it. In 7th grade I think, one kid had big Elvis sideburns and the gym teacher didn't like them and told the kid to shave them off. Not sure why it was any of his business. When the kid didn't, one day in the gym lockers, he held the kid down with the help of a few others and they shaved one of them off, leaving the other. The kid went home with one big side burn.

Not only didn't the teacher get in trouble, apparently the parents agreed or felt that the school was in its rights to set standards, but when he came to school the next day, his other sideburn was now trimmed to match the other.

We all had a little chuckle then life went on and all was forgotten.
They didn't mess around when I was in school. Chances were very good if you got it at school, you got it at home, too.

Not just me, all my friends, too. That's how it was.

out of teaching. Perhaps we will see public Ed crash. Maybe it will melt slowly while of course needing more tax dollars. I dont see anywhere the nerve to get tough except private schools. Vouchers will be a civil right. No kid should have his education ruined by an army of miscreants who have never been told no

A teacher in my district was told to stand still and allow herself to be hit by a student so that student would not hit other children.

Yes, this is true.

Public education is on a death spiral and deserves to be so.

Conservatives spend decades in vicious war against teachers and education, and now act surprised people don't want to teach anymore?

I told them. I tried to warn them that their obsession with Teachers as Groomers is just what the Left did with Defund the Police, and would have similar results.

I told them. I tried to warn them that their obsession with Teachers as Groomers is just what the Left did with Defund the Police, and would have similar results.
Both sides seem to enjoy demonizing public servants.

Police, teachers, FBI. I wonder if nurses are next?

Corporal punishment has been gone from CA and AZ schools for at least fifty years.

We are so far from corporal punishment you can't even imagine. It's to the point where a kid destroys an entire room, including beating other kids and the teacher, and we ask him if he's in the "yellow zone" or the "red zone".

I do not condone spanking other people's children. You don't NEED to. All you have to do is say this is the line, no further, parents, come pick up your child.

But we can't do that anymore, for whatever reason.

I have no doubt that the current deterioration of self-control among American Yoot is a major problem for teachers, and that some teachers are moving to other fields.

But I would like to see the actual numbers. Teachers are VERY reluctant to quit. Despite their perennial denials, it's a pretty sweet deal. People in the Real World don't get Summers off, or work 180 or so days a year. People in the Real World can't retire after 30 years at 52 years old, and be supported until they die.

How many teachers are willing to go out into the Real World and accept two or three weeks of PTO a year, and work until they are 67 to 70 years old? It happens, but I would have to see some hard numbers of teachers quitting mid-career and going into some other field. It basically doesn't happen.

And this is not to say they don't deserve some high-level support from the State Legislatures and school district administrations. They sure as hell do. It should be possible for a school to simply expel a student who is a cancer in their classes. Fuck 'em.

It's happening all over. My pension is not going to fully support me; it's less than half my salary. My benefits are now worse than my husband's. Inform yourself.

They didn't mess around when I was in school. Chances were very good if you got it at school, you got it at home, too.
Not just me, all my friends, too. That's how it was.

Yes but back then, the school was much more like a trusted friend, an /extension/ of the family who could faithfully maintain and execute reasonable minimum standards of the parents and the home, not like now where the school acts more like owners of the kids to usurp the parental role knowing better or having final say up to including going behind the parent's backs or right over their heads to do anything it pleases, and, oh yeah--- you better not forget to pay your school taxes as well.

It's happening all over. My pension is not going to fully support me; it's less than half my salary. My benefits are now worse than my husband's. Inform yourself.
Consider yourself fortunate. Most people don’t even get a pension these days. That’s a thing of the past

out of teaching.
*** PLEASE!

*** If you know an eager and conscientious person who is thinking about becoming a teacher in the public school system, do everything possible to talk him/her out of such a disastrous decision.

*** Most Americans have no idea of the dangers faced by public school teachers in "urban" settings.

*** Many (not a "few") "students" are totally out of control.

*** Teachers are threatened or even assaulted if they attempt to impose some order in their classrooms.

*** And some progressive states are even passing laws that "certain" groups be given special treatment when it comes to imposing sanctions for disorderly or even violent behavior.

*** There was once a Senator (who is now the president of this nation) who used a very hurtful (but truthful) word to describe integrated schools. And -- sadly -- he was right.

*** Remind your young friend that there are many interesting and well-paying professions to enter. Why waste time and money pursuing a profession that will be an actual danger to one's physical being. (For example, many veteran teachers learn lessons such as this: NEVER turn your back to the students. Someone will have no qualms about throwing a book at you.)

Yes but back then, the school was much more like a trusted friend, an /extension/ of the family who could faithfully maintain and execute reasonable minimum standards of the parents and the home, not like now where the school acts more like owners of the kids to usurp the parental role knowing better or having final say up to including going behind the parent's backs or right over their heads to do anything it pleases, and, oh yeah--- you better not forget to pay your school taxes as well.

This happens, but the extent of it is a fantasy. What happens much, much more is that parents drop off children wholly unready to learn, expect teachers to raise said children, and then criticize teachers when they are not being raised to their standards/expectations.

This happens, but the extent of it is a fantasy. What happens much, much more is that parents drop off children wholly unready to learn, expect teachers to raise said children, and then criticize teachers when they are not being raised to their standards/expectations.
It hasn't always been like that.

We are so far from corporal punishment you can't even imagine. It's to the point where a kid destroys an entire room, including beating other kids and the teacher, and we ask him if he's in the "yellow zone" or the "red zone".

I do not condone spanking other people's children. You don't NEED to. All you have to do is say this is the line, no further, parents, come pick up your child.

But we can't do that anymore, for whatever reason.
I have split emotions on the corporal punishment angle. I was subjected to CP, but I can honestly say that it was never abused and sometimes they just had to get my attention. Parents picking up their children can also be effective, but in a lot of cases, it puts an extra stress on a young family that may have been avoided with a couple of swats.

Nonono. :nono:

This all started when they forbid parents and schools to discipline using corporal punishment.

Sometime around 2000, I believe.

Therein lies the problem.

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."

Verse 24.

Children need limits set. It makes it unsafe for teachers when undisciplined children get bigger.
You think over my 30 years as a teacher I haven't (literally) put a few kids heads through the wall? Most of the time, their parents thanked me.

I have split emotions on the corporal punishment angle. I was subjected to CP, but I can honestly say that it was never abused and sometimes they just had to get my attention. Parents picking up their children can also be effective, but in a lot of cases, it puts an extra stress on a young family that may have been avoided with a couple of swats.
I saw it be abused by a teacher or two, for very short periods of time and they both got the heave-ho and were not around long.

There were decent people running things and a decent staff of teachers.

Even the gay ones that could never say they were gay. We knew it. They were still decent teachers.

Yehbut, talking about sexuality with children? Immediate termination. Boy, we used to try to goad this one guy.

To his credit he never broke. We gave him hell, too. He mighta took an extra pause and deep breath every now and then. :auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back