Teacher's view on public education system's problems

So sad this has become yet another Nyah, Nyah, Nyah thread.

The prob wasn't Esmeralda, who was confronting Disir but rather Disir who was being an a-hole. The thread left one important factor unresolved: how to replace the parental guidance missing in so many kids lives?

The prob wasn't Esmeralda, who was confronting Disir but rather Disir who was being an a-hole. The thread left one important factor unresolved: how to replace the parental guidance missing in so many kids lives?

I always advised joining the Marines.

Frankly, teachers who substitute themselves for parents are asking for trouble: Do your job, document discipline problems, work the discipline ladder. Some teachers forget they are government employees, and therefore bureaucrats FIRST. This is a huge fucking mistake, because the education system is nothing if not a bureaucracy and without the appropriate paperwork, including all i's dotted and t's crossed, they have no power.

Conversely, if you master the bureaucracy, you have untold, awesome power, and will be the envy of your peers. Students, accustomed to walking all over loosy-goosey teachers, will be quelled into silence. You will even frighten administrators, unaccustomed to such diligence from mere teachers, who now have no choice but to act in their behalf!

Last edited:

Women.

But it is a good example of why the administration may like the OP: Male Teachers are much easier to manage.

As a bonus, male students have much more respect for males teachers. This is particularly true for many hispanic males, who seem to absolutely HATE being told what to do by females. Just an observation.

LMAO You are hilarious. Apparently you think you know what it means. Why can't you say? Too funny. :cuckoo:

It's not inherently important that you grasp this. There is no reason for some guy on the internet to lie about being an educator, amiright? He knows what I am talking about.

To be honest with you I don't care if you think that I'm a real educator, or if I'm making it all up. Whatever you choose to think is your own business. This isn't an interrogation. If you think I'm full of crap-fine I really don't care.

What makes you question me though? What portion of my post generates even the slightest bit of doubt to you?

Good. I still do.

The entire post is doubtful. But, the timing sure is right up there with tenure. Nay?

Much of what you have up there is covered in the basic education courses. It's text book. Yet, it's still mystifying.

Last edited:

Asking questions defines me as an asshole? Boy, are you in for a ride.

It's not inherently important that you grasp this. There is no reason for some guy on the internet to lie about being an educator, amiright? He knows what I am talking about.

To be honest with you I don't care if you think that I'm a real educator, or if I'm making it all up. Whatever you choose to think is your own business. This isn't an interrogation. If you think I'm full of crap-fine I really don't care.

What makes you question me though? What portion of my post generates even the slightest bit of doubt to you?

Good. I still do.

The entire post is doubtful. But, the timing sure is right up there with tenure. Nay?

Much of what you have up there is covered in the basic education courses. It's text book. Yet, it's still mystifying.

Ok let me ask you higher level questions then. How and why does my "entire post" seem doubtful to you?

PS: As far as tenure goes...If you actually read my post you'd clearly see that I made it crystal clear that I just started this past February.

You asked no questions about the message but rather the messenger. In this case whether the OP is what he says he is has little bearing on the validity of the message (but I suspect you knew that). You can read thousands of similar stories right here on the Internet.

Last edited:
Much interesting data in the original post. Love hearing the teacher's side of the story, as in past I've brought up ed issues with teachers who strictly avoided discussion. Lived for 17 years in Germany, where (like other European countries) systems are quite a bit different, and arguably more successful, than ours. In Texas, several years back was shown a report illustrating that administrative positions had gone, in a short two decades, from 1 per 10 teachers to a ratio of 1 per 3. That study was linked to the problem of ascending costs to taxpayers accompanied by decreased results. One key detractor is that our largest teacher unions do not abide by their stated goals of improving education, but they're doing fine in improving teacher pay, benefits, and contributing to a failing overall system.

No, being an asshole with no merit, no original ideas and nothing constructive to say makes you an asshole

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You asked no questions about the message but rather the messenger. In this case whether the OP is what he says he is has little bearing on the validity of the message (but I suspect you knew that). You can read thousands of similar stories right here on the Internet.

I want to see a photo ID, Birth Certificate, and Teaching License, posted!

:eusa_hand:

Extra points for Social Security number and a major credit card.

No, being an asshole with no merit, no original ideas and nothing constructive to say makes you an asshole

:eusa_shifty:

That pretty much covers the USMB membership.

Much interesting data in the original post. Love hearing the teacher's side of the story, as in past I've brought up ed issues with teachers who strictly avoided discussion. Lived for 17 years in Germany, where (like other European countries) systems are quite a bit different, and arguably more successful, than ours. In Texas, several years back was shown a report illustrating that administrative positions had gone, in a short two decades, from 1 per 10 teachers to a ratio of 1 per 3. That study was linked to the problem of ascending costs to taxpayers accompanied by decreased results. One key detractor is that our largest teacher unions do not abide by their stated goals of improving education, but they're doing fine in improving teacher pay, benefits, and contributing to a failing overall system.

Couple of things:

Comparing anything in Europe with the USA, and declaring them "Apples-to-Apples" needs to be carefully considered. In terms of Educational systems, comparing Europe to the USA is more like "Apples-to-Pinecones." True, they both grow on trees, but there the similarity ends.

Second, I'd be interested in where this report regarding the administrative increase is, but let's consider that it is accurate: Why frame the increase in terms of ratios of administrator to teacher? This gives the impression that everything administration does is focused on managing teachers; Why not make the ratio in terms of administrator: illegal immigrant child?
Why not make the ratio administrator: increased federal regulation (NCLB)?
Why not a ratio of administrator: student diagnosed psychlogical issues (ADHD) that require the school to provide special assistance?

If you want to link costs to anything, it is not the cost of managing teachers that has increased the gross cost of education, it is the cost of administering Title I free and reduced lunches for illegal immigrants, standardized testing programs and other regulations emplaced by NCLB and Core Curriculum, and providing special services for every kid whose parent can afford to have them psychoanalyzed.

Whether or not a state allows collective bargaining has little to do with any of the burdens that drain the school system's resources away from actually succeeding in teaching. I've only worked in Texas (which outlaws collective bargaining by state and local employees) as an administrator and teacher, but I've had kids go to school in Texas and Colorado (where collective bargaining is allowed) and observe no significance difference in educational quality; again we're not comparing Apples-to-apples, but more like Apples-to-Bananas: There are similarities, but there are also many things about both states that make a direct comparison more complicated, e.g. the population of Texas is MUCH larger, demographics in Colorado include fewer low socioeconomic students, and fewer ESL students.

Last edited:
It's a societal issue:

1. Teachers unions are out to benefit the teachers, regardless of impact on the students.
2. Students are not motivated to learn. Why should they? They are taught the world owes them a living.
3. Parents are not involved in their kids' educations. They are not motivated to see their children succeed. There are many reasons for this, from broken homes to drug addictions and back.

Three legs to a stool, and all three contribute to the problem. Teachers blame the kids, kids blame the parents, and parents blame the teachers, but in the end, society as a whole is to blame. At one time, the immigrants who built this country insisted their children get educated so they could have a better life than the first ones off the boat. Now, not so much. At one time, a kid didn't have much of anything to call his/her own, especially not high-cost toys and clothes. What they had, they earned by doing extra chores or taking on a part time job when they were old enough. Now, not so much. At one time, kids were expected to grow up quickly, to become contributors to society. Now, not so much. Watch what happens when kids are home schooled. Some would love to make "home schooled" an insult or a punchline, but they can't, because usually home schooled kids run rings around government schooled kids. The difference is, they have engaged parents and motivation to learn.

The bottom line remains, we can't throw enough money at the problem, because the root of the problem is not money related. The rot lies in the heart and soul of society. PC fads don't work. Fancy campuses don't work.

Yes, dear. All of the alleged issues are textbook. Everything from the parents to the liability issues. What this tells me is that those classes were never taken. Simply because an ID shows up bearing a message that you want to hear does not make it so.

It's a societal issue:

1. Teachers unions are out to benefit the teachers, regardless of impact on the students.
2. Students are not motivated to learn. Why should they? They are taught the world owes them a living.
3. Parents are not involved in their kids' educations. They are not motivated to see their children succeed. There are many reasons for this, from broken homes to drug addictions and back.

Three legs to a stool, and all three contribute to the problem. Teachers blame the kids, kids blame the parents, and parents blame the teachers, but in the end, society as a whole is to blame. At one time, the immigrants who built this country insisted their children get educated so they could have a better life than the first ones off the boat. Now, not so much. At one time, a kid didn't have much of anything to call his/her own, especially not high-cost toys and clothes. What they had, they earned by doing extra chores or taking on a part time job when they were old enough. Now, not so much. At one time, kids were expected to grow up quickly, to become contributors to society. Now, not so much. Watch what happens when kids are home schooled. Some would love to make "home schooled" an insult or a punchline, but they can't, because usually home schooled kids run rings around government schooled kids. The difference is, they have engaged parents and motivation to learn.

The bottom line remains, we can't throw enough money at the problem, because the root of the problem is not money related. The rot lies in the heart and soul of society. PC fads don't work. Fancy campuses don't work.

Yes, which makes the declaration that "It's a Societal Issue" all the more ridiculously pendantic.

Sociological Bleating....fuck....EVERYTHING is a "Societal Issue:" Humans are imperfect. Most governments recognize this, and augment their systems to accomodate for it.

Not the USA, where NO CHILD IS LEFT BEHIND!!!
If we could agree that there is a certain volume of stupid that will always reside as an integral portion of our citizenry, then we could expend far fewer resources accomodating them, and far more resources on the portion that will contribute.

Forum List

Back