Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

Glad the governor realized his staff overreacted. This should have never been an issue, for one the girl is eighteen.

i guess if she murdered someone it wouldn't count either.. cause after all, she's only eighteen..

what a bunch of weinerschnitzels you dummies are.. no accountability is a lifelong trait with you dummies huh?

A little dramatic, are we?

Comparing this to murder is quite hilarious.:lol:

Glad the governor realized his staff overreacted. This should have never been an issue, for one the girl is eighteen.

i guess if she murdered someone it wouldn't count either.. cause after all, she's only eighteen..

what a bunch of weinerschnitzels you dummies are.. no accountability is a lifelong trait with you dummies huh?

Luissas point had nothing to do with her "only being 18"

To the contrary, her point was more about "she was at least 18"

I didn't think what I said was that hard to understand, I guess Willow and Lonestar have found it difficult. What cha going to do?

well then why don't you dummies define for the rest of us what an 18 year old should be accountable for and what knot? whydonchya?

well then why don't you dummies define for the rest of us what an 18 year old should be accountable for and what knot? whydonchya?

Last time I checked it isn't illegal to tweet. It is also not illegal to speak out against your governor.
The only thing she should gotten in trouble for is if her school has no phone policy at school functions.

I am trying to figure out how someone like Willow, who claims she is for small government has a problem with an adult speaking badly about a politician on twitter after seeing them speak etc? If it had been a liberal the adult had been speaking out against, my money would be on Willow taking the side of the tweeter. Just sayin.

Is this the first tweet from someone criticizing a political figure or something? Obama never gets criticized on twitter or what? I don't know why they made this an issue. She should be able to say whatever she wants as long as it's not of a threatening nature.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

and another OWS Shitter is born...

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

and another OWS Shitter is born...

:cuckoo:

If it had been a liberal the adult had been speaking out against, my money would be on Willow taking the side of the tweeter. Just sayin.

ohsnap2.jpg

The issue falls in a gray area, because the speech was political in nature, and possibly covered by the 1st Amendment. The governor's people never should have acted so hinky.
They acted like fools. However, I still don't see it as a freedom of speech issue since she was tweeting during a school field trip. No different, really, than passing notes in class.

mebbe so

Governor was a jerk. So was the principal. In my opinion.

I am trying to figure out how someone like Willow, who claims she is for small government has a problem with an adult speaking badly about a politician on twitter after seeing them speak etc? If it had been a liberal the adult had been speaking out against, my money would be on Willow taking the side of the tweeter. Just sayin.

I've said it often but for you, because you are slow witted..I'll say it again. I'm entirely for her speaking out.. and then I reserve the Wright to call her a dumbass. now what part of that don't you understand?

I've said it often but for you, because you are slow witted..I'll say it again. I'm entirely for her speaking out.. and then I reserve the Wright to call her a dumbass. now what part of that don't you understand?

No :eusa_hand: You refered to her as the "w" word :eek: :razz: :clap2:

I am still trying to understand what you want to hold her accountable for.

Forum List

Back