Teenager won't apologize to Kansas governor for tweet

The issue falls in a gray area, because the speech was political in nature, and possibly covered by the 11st Amendment. The governor's people never should have acted so hinky.

Glad the governor realized his staff overreacted. This should have never been an issue, for one the girl is eighteen.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas teenager who wrote a disparaging tweet about Gov. Sam Brownback said Sunday that she is rejecting her high school principal’s demand for a written apology.

Emma Sullivan, 18, of the Kansas City suburb of Fairway, said she isn’t sorry and doesn’t think such a letter would be sincere.

The Shawnee Mission East senior was taking part in a Youth in Government program last week in Topeka, Kan., when she sent out a tweet from the back of a crowd of students listening to Brownback’s greeting. From her cellphone, she thumbed: “Just made mean comments at gov. brownback,” and then specified what the comments were.

She actually made no such comment and said she was “just joking with friends.” But Brownback’s office, which monitors social media for postings containing the governor’s name, saw Sullivan’s post and contacted the Youth in Government program.

Sullivan received a scolding at school and was ordered to send Brownback an apology letter. She said Prinicipal Karl R. Krawitz even suggested talking points for the letter she was supposed to turn in Monday.

The situation exploded after Sullivan’s older sister contacted the media. Since then, Sullivan’s following on Twitter has grown to about 3,000 people, up from about 65 before the tweet. She said she thinks the tweet has helped “open up dialogue” about free speech in social media..

Sullivan said she disagrees with Brownback politically, particularly his decision to veto the Kansas Arts Commission’s entire budget, which eliminated the state’s arts funding. Brownback has argued arts programs can flourish with private dollars and that state funds should go to core government functions, such as education and social services.

“I think it would be interesting to have a dialogue with him,” she said. “I don’t know if he would do it or not though. And I don’t know that he would listen to what I have to say.”

Sherriene Jones-Sontag, the governor’s spokeswoman, told The Star previously that Sullivan’s message wasn’t respectful and that it takes mutual respect to “really have a constructive dialogue.” Brownback’s office didn’t return calls or emails Sunday from the AP.

Teen tweeter won't apologize to Sam Brownback - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

And why should she?

She, as a Citizen of the United States of America has the Constitutionally Protected Right To Freedom of Speech.

Brownback has long been known to have politically thin skin.

The best that Brokeback can now hope for is that this will all just pass if he leaves it alone.

What a moran.

Glad the governor realized his staff overreacted. This should have never been an issue, for one the girl is eighteen.

What difference does her age make? Is she not an adult?

I think that is why I stated she was eighteen...

You are a quick one.

And you are a slow one.

You brought the girls age up and I asked what difference does her age make.

Perhaps the question was too difficult for you to answer.

You are a quick one.

And you are a slow one.

becuase iof the girl was younger than 18 there may be a question of whether or not the pricnicpal OR the parent had a respoinsibility to do something about her actions.

Not that I agree they should have done anything...15..or 35....but I bleive Luissa was pretty much saying...18 years old and that is all one needs to know to butt out.

Luissa was making the point that it should never have been an issue....even one from a parenting standpoint seeing as the girl was an adult.

It shouldn't have been an issue, period. Regardless of age.

I agree.

But if it were a 10 year old child......I can see the principal getting involved by alerting the parents of her actions....seeing as it took place while the chool had custody of the child.

You are a quick one.

And you are a slow one.

I said this should have have never been an issue, FOR ONE she is eighteen. That kind of implies it should have never been an issue no matter her age, and especially since she is eighteen.
So yeah, I am the slow one.:lol:

The best that Brokeback can now hope for is that this will all just pass if he leaves it alone.

What a moran.

Was Obama a moran when he erred and referred to the Boston police as acting stupidly?

Or did he simply act human and knee jerk react?

i guess if she murdered someone it wouldn't count either.. cause after all, she's only eighteen..

what a bunch of weinerschnitzels you dummies are.. no accountability is a lifelong trait with you dummies huh?

The issue falls in a gray area, because the speech was political in nature, and possibly covered by the 11st Amendment. The governor's people never should have acted so hinky.
They acted like fools. However, I still don't see it as a freedom of speech issue since she was tweeting during a school field trip. No different, really, than passing notes in class.

The girl did a public service by alerting everyone that Brokeback is a douche

By his actions, Brokeback proved her correct

i guess if she murdered someone it wouldn't count either.. cause after all, she's only eighteen..

what a bunch of weinerschnitzels you dummies are.. no accountability is a lifelong trait with you dummies huh?

Luissas point had nothing to do with her "only being 18"

To the contrary, her point was more about "she was at least 18"

Forum List

Back