Ten Gun Myths and Memes-- Shot Down

Quick question....................if a person should be allowed to own any gun they want (as someone said further up the thread talking about tanks, if it's man portable and goes bang, it's okay), then why is it that you can no longer own a fully automatic machine gun anymore?

When those were banned, was that an infringement of the Second Amendment?

You can own a fully automatic machine gun.

It just keeps staring at me, its giving me the creeps.

Myth #2: Guns don't kill people—people kill people.
Fact-check: People with more guns tend to kill more people—with guns. The states with the highest gun ownership rates have a gun murder rate 114% higher than those with the lowest gun ownership rates...

I've had my damn 12 gauge locked and loaded on the kitchen table all moring..the damned thing hasn't tried to kill me yet.

Don't turn your back on it.

You might be able to convince a court about a hi cap mag, but it is quite unlikely that you would be able to do the same with a semi because it is only capable of firing one round with each pull of the trigger and thus each shot is capable of being discretly target... besides the firearm involved in McDonald was a semi, so you are not going to get anywhere with that... guaranteed.

There is no rational reason to prohibit automatic rifles.

I've shot them, and personally find them useless, but there is no reason to outlaw them. The bad guys buy Chinese and Eastern European full-autos anyway,

The rational reason is because a full auto machine gun is designed to do one thing, and one thing only..........kill a large amount of people quickly. Why do you think they were the favored guns of the Mafia back in the 20's and 30's?

Full auto weapons should be the exclusive property of the military.

And...............speaking of which..................can you name me a single instance where a full auto weapon was used to kill people since they were outlawed for the general public? Has anyone gotten them from China or Russia to kill lots of Americans?

Now we know you were never in the Navy, the simple fact is that this fully automatic weapon would never be used to kill anyone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP6GpAnmAPU]20mm Phalanx CIWS, Navy Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

The truth is that automatic weapons are not designed to kill people, and are rarely used that way. They are used for suppression fire, and are designed to degrade the enemy's ability to perform their mission. They work great for getting the other guy to hide, but they are no where near as effective as a sniper at killing.

Ten Gun Myths Shot Down in a Hail of • • • bullets :D

• Myth #1: They're coming for your guns.
Fact-check: No one knows the exact number of guns in America, but it's clear there's no practical way to round them all up (never mind that no one in Washington is proposing this). Yet if you fantasize about rifle-toting citizens facing down the government, you'll rest easy knowing that America's roughly 80 million gun owners already have the feds and cops outgunned by a factor of around 79 to 1. (chart)

• Myth #2: Guns don't kill people—people kill people.
Fact-check: People with more guns tend to kill more people—with guns. The states with the highest gun ownership rates have a gun murder rate 114% higher than those with the lowest gun ownership rates...

Myth #3: An armed society is a polite society.
Fact-check: Drivers who carry guns are 44% more likely than unarmed drivers to make obscene gestures at other motorists, and 77% more likely to follow them aggressively.
• Among Texans convicted of serious crimes, those with concealed-handgun licenses were sentenced for threatening someone with a firearm 4.8 times more than those without...​

• Myth #4: More good guys with guns can stop rampaging bad guys.
Fact-check: Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 30 years: 0
• Chances that a shooting at an ER involves guns taken from guards: 1 in 5.​

• Myth #5: Keeping a gun at home makes you safer.
Fact-check: Owning a gun has been linked to higher risks of homicide, suicide, and accidental death by gun.
• For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home...​

• Myth #6: Carrying a gun for self-defense makes you safer.
Fact-check: In 2011, nearly 10 times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime.
• In one survey, nearly 1% of Americans reported using guns to defend themselves or their property. However, a closer look at their claims found that more than 50% involved using guns in an aggressive manner, such as escalating an argument.
• A Philadelphia study found that the odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater.​

• Myth #7: Guns make women safer.
Fact-check: In 2010, nearly 6 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers...

• Myth #8: "Vicious, violent video games" deserve more blame than guns.
Fact-check: So said NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre after Newtown. So what's up with Japan?
(chart/resource in link - wont behave here)

• Myth #9: More and more Americans are becoming gun owners.
Fact-check: More guns are being sold, but they're owned by a shrinking portion of the population...
• Around 80% of gun owners are men. On average they own 7.9 guns each...​

• Myth #10: We don't need more gun laws—we just need to enforce the ones we have.
Fact-check: Weak laws and loopholes backed by the gun lobby make it easier to get guns illegally.
• Around 40% of all legal gun sales involve private sellers and don't require background checks. 40% of prison inmates who used guns in their crimes got them this way.
• An investigation found 62% of online gun sellers were willing to sell to buyers who said they couldn't pass a background check...​

Links for substantiation of all points, charts, further point narratives at the article link here.

Here's one of them pertaining to Myth 2, particularly illustrative:
ownership-death630.png

Also worth a look is this chart from one of the resources, listing the world's countries ranked by rate of gun ownership (i.e. how armed we are). Take a look at how far ahead we are.

Topic armed and dangerous, unlocked and loaded. Bring it on.

What percentage of murders, irrespective of race, are committed with what are being called assault weapons? You’d be hard put to come up with an amount greater than 1 or 2 percent. In fact, according to FBI data from 2011, there were 323 murders committed with a rifle of any kind but 496 murders committed with a hammer or a club. But people who want to weaken our Second Amendment guarantees employ a strategy like that of the Paris chief of police. They can’t do much about hammers, clubs, fists or pistols, but by exploiting public ignorance, they might have a bit of success getting an “assault weapon” ban that will have little impact on violent crime.
http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/13/CulturalDeviancyNotGuns.htm
Why are you not asking for hammer control laws?

1) Judge Scalia is NO LIBERAL.

The entire Court exists today to promote Corporations over people. Where were you when Citizens United struck?

Complete Text of Justice Stevens' Dissent on Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission - Democratic Underground

Like I said...Judge Scalia is NO LIBERAL.

Our founding fathers would have revoked the charter of gun manufacturers when they willfully circumvented the 1994 assault weapons ban by manufacturing guns with minor changes to skirt the intent of the law.

Why do you support those corporations and the NRA who is a front for corporations?

Our Founding Fathers never would have allowed that ban IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Our founding fathers would have revoked the charter of gun manufacturers when they willfully circumvented the 1994 assault weapons ban by manufacturing guns with minor changes to skirt the intent of the law.

Bullshit asshole, what an idiot you are....

Bullshit asshole, what an idiot you are....

Idiot? The tell me how our founding fathers treated corporations?

There is no rational reason to prohibit automatic rifles.

I've shot them, and personally find them useless, but there is no reason to outlaw them. The bad guys buy Chinese and Eastern European full-autos anyway,

The rational reason is because a full auto machine gun is designed to do one thing, and one thing only..........kill a large amount of people quickly. Why do you think they were the favored guns of the Mafia back in the 20's and 30's?

Full auto weapons should be the exclusive property of the military.

And...............speaking of which..................can you name me a single instance where a full auto weapon was used to kill people since they were outlawed for the general public? Has anyone gotten them from China or Russia to kill lots of Americans?

Now we know you were never in the Navy, the simple fact is that this fully automatic weapon would never be used to kill anyone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP6GpAnmAPU]20mm Phalanx CIWS, Navy Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

The truth is that automatic weapons are not designed to kill people, and are rarely used that way. They are used for suppression fire, and are designed to degrade the enemy's ability to perform their mission. They work great for getting the other guy to hide, but they are no where near as effective as a sniper at killing.

Actually, R2-D2 with a hardon (as most of the Navy calls the CIWS, pronounced cee-whizz) is a weapon designed to kill incoming missiles.

People don't move at 2,000 mph, missiles do, which is why they are slaved in to computer systems and the radar.

Wanna try again fuckstick?

When the Gun Grabbers acknowledge this post (since page 9), I will stop reminding them of its existence:

------------------------------------

2nd Amendement -

The Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey reports that the probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the benefits are smaller: offering no
resistance is 1.4 times more likely to result in serious injury than resisting with a gun.

Can we see a link for this study?
You are far more likely to survive
a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun.

Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing at all 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%

U.S. Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities, 1979 60
Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey 61
U.S. Department of Justice 62
U.S. Department of Justice 63
British Home Office – no a pro-gun organization by any mean

From these same studies.

Of the 2,500,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% are by women
defending themselves against sexual abuse.
Fact:
When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes are
successful, compared to 32% when unarmed.

Fact:
The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no
resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the
benefits are smaller: offering no resistance is 1.4 times more likely to result in serious injury than
resisting with a gun.

Fact:
27% of women keep a gun in the house.

Fact:
37.6 million women either own or have rapid access to guns.

Fact:
In 1966 the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms
training classes to women. The number of rapes dropped by nearly 90%.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/55878NCJRS.pdf

1) Judge Scalia is NO LIBERAL.

The entire Court exists today to promote Corporations over people. Where were you when Citizens United struck?

Complete Text of Justice Stevens' Dissent on Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission - Democratic Underground

Like I said...Judge Scalia is NO LIBERAL.

Why do you support those corporations and the NRA who is a front for corporations?
They would have tarred and feathered your ass before they would have allowed one assault weapon to be banned

Dodging the answer I see. I didn't ask about stings, I asked about the last time that full auto weapons (or machine guns) were used to kill lots of Americans in this country?

And...............if it did happen, did they get them from China or Russia?

Reading comprehension dude.................

Seriously.....

:dig::dig::dig:

{Drive by machine gun fire into Funeral Home in Kansas City today during Funeral of Man caught in Gunfire himself and killed a few days ago, Who or whom is responsible?}

Drive by machine gun fire into Funeral Home in Kansas City today during Funeral of Man caught in Gunfire himself and killed a few days ago, Who or whom is responsible?

{Starting at around 4:00 AM automatic gunfire rang out through downtown Cincinnati. Rioting and looting of downtown stores ensued.}

Cincinnati holds a drive-by shooting parade for Bengals Big 3 | TAUNTR.COM

Ad infintium...

And yes, they are ALL Chinese or Eastern European made, because there is no market for American made full-auto.

Oh look, a straw man, how clever....

Without logical fallacy, you would never approach logic.

"A free people ought to be armed."
- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"On every occasion [of Constitutional interpretation] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying [to force] what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, [instead let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I enclose you a list of the killed, wounded, and captives of the enemy from the commencement of hostilities at Lexington in April, 1775, until November, 1777, since which there has been no event of any consequence ... I think that upon the whole it has been about one half the number lost by them, in some instances more, but in others less. This difference is ascribed to our superiority in taking aim when we fire; every soldier in our army having been intimate with his gun from his infancy."
- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Giovanni Fabbroni, June 8, 1778

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
- John Adams

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
- Noah Webster

"A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
- James Madison

- George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"On every occasion [of Constitutional interpretation] let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying [to force] what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, [instead let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I enclose you a list of the killed, wounded, and captives of the enemy from the commencement of hostilities at Lexington in April, 1775, until November, 1777, since which there has been no event of any consequence ... I think that upon the whole it has been about one half the number lost by them, in some instances more, but in others less. This difference is ascribed to our superiority in taking aim when we fire; every soldier in our army having been intimate with his gun from his infancy."
- Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Giovanni Fabbroni, June 8, 1778

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
- John Adams

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
- Noah Webster

"A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
- James Madison

All that work for nothing...no one is proposing any law that would disarm the populace. It will never happen, but you right wing paranoid infested chicken little cowards NEED that to be the case. WHY? Because your fear infested brains can only spew emotions, you can't engage in intelligent discussion of common sense gun laws.

All that work for nothing...no one is proposing any law that would disarm the populace. It will never happen, but you right wing paranoid infested chicken little cowards NEED that to be the case. WHY? Because your fear infested brains can only spew emotions, you can't engage in intelligent discussion of common sense gun laws.

Actually, based on a quick fact check, I don't think it was all that much "work"...

- George Washington

- George Washington''
<snip>

Oh look, a list of undocumented alleged quotes. How inviting.

The actual quote comes from Washington's address to Congress on January 8th, 1790 and goes like this: "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a Uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent others, for essential, particularly for military supplies." Note that the quote has nothing to do with gun rights and is clearly concerns properly equipping the military.

Somewhere, sometime, someone deliberately modified and distorted the original quote to serve a political purpose. The earliest version I could find of the mutant version was in speech to the House by Rep. Paul Broun on June 26,2008 but I'm sure it has been floating around longer than that. The distortion of the original quote was not some accident or slip that then went viral, it was premeditated.
(Quotes, Misquotes and Guns)

I stopped at the second quote. I figure it's typical.

lowapples.png

Last edited:
All that work for nothing...no one is proposing any law that would disarm the populace.

Why expend effort lying?

Can't you just yell "CORPORATIONS" and that makes a valid argument to disarm the commoners?

It will never happen, but you right wing paranoid infested chicken little cowards NEED that to be the case. WHY? Because your fear infested brains can only spew emotions, you can't engage in intelligent discussion of common sense gun laws.

You leftist thugs do seek to disarm the commoners, why you bother with your farce is a mystery - you fool no one.

Actually, based on a quick fact check, I don't think it was all that much "work"...

- George Washington

- George Washington''
<snip>

The actual quote comes from Washington's address to Congress on January 8th, 1790 and goes like this: "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a Uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent others, for essential, particularly for military supplies." Note that the quote has nothing to do with gun rights and is clearly concerns properly equipping the military.

Somewhere, sometime, someone deliberately modified and distorted the original quote to serve a political purpose. The earliest version I could find of the mutant version was in speech to the House by Rep. Paul Broun on June 26,2008 but I'm sure it has been floating around longer than that. The distortion of the original quote was not some accident or slip that then went viral, it was premeditated.

lowapples.png

I try not to attribute malovent design to misquotes found on the internet Pogo. Usually it is sloppiness which is magnified by poor copying skills. However, I am no fan of misquotes either when it comes to the 2nd Amend and gun rights. I consider it totally unecessary and defeats credibility. You may find the following page helpfull as it lists several popular but bogus quotes, including the one you corrected.

http://guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

- George Washington

- George Washington''
<snip>

lowapples.png

I try not to attribute malovent design to misquotes found on the internet Pogo. Usually it is sloppiness which is magnified by poor copying skills. However, I am no fan of misquotes either when it comes to the 2nd Amend and gun rights. I consider it totally unecessary and defeats credibility. You may find the following page helpfull as it lists several popular but bogus quotes, including the one you corrected.

http://guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

Thanks Legal, I've seen that page before when some wag brought out the fake "Liberty" quote. After a while you can just smell these things.

I just have certain standards that I don't think should be unique to me, one being that any quote or factual accounting has to be documented and confirmed. Apparently not everyone holds that standard.

Thanks Legal, I've seen that page before when some wag brought out the fake "Liberty" quote. After a while you can just smell these things.

I just have certain standards that I don't think should be unique to me, one being that any quote or factual accounting has to be documented and confirmed. Apparently not everyone holds that standard.

Sometimes it is a shame, as they can be real classics. My fave bogus quote is

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the election results. Benajmin Franklin

Even though Ben did not say that, he should have, dammit.

However it is wise to heed this advice:

Always request the source of any quotes provided on the internet. Thomas Jefferson 1787

:eusa_whistle:

Sometimes it is a shame, as they can be real classics. My fave bogus quote is

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the election results. Benajmin Franklin

Even though Ben did not say that, he should have, dammit.

However it is wise to heed this advice:

Always request the source of any quotes provided on the internet. Thomas Jefferson 1787

:eusa_whistle:

The one I run across a lot is falsely attributed to Winston Churchill:

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

There is no record of anyone hearing Churchill say this. Paul Addison of Edinburgh University makes this comment: "Surely Churchill can't have used the words attributed to him. He'd been a Conservative at 15 and a Liberal at 35! And would he have talked so disrespectfully of Clemmie, who is generally thought to have been a lifelong Liberal?"

Quotes Falsely Attributed

Forum List

Back