Ten Gun Myths and Memes-- Shot Down

My intent was to demonstrate that the framers did not march in idealogical lockstep and had differing views in politics, religion and culture.

Iberals and libertarians have much in common. They both believe in the primacy of the individual and the promotion of individual rights. The major distinction is that liberals believe the governemnt is the best way to promote and protect individual rights, while libertarians believe that the government is the biggest threat to individual rights... They have more in common with each other than liberals have with progressives and libertarians have with conservatives.

The reason the Founding Fathers REJECTED government intervention was because the EVIDENCE showed that governments through out the ages murdered, maimed and tortured its citizens.

Herein lies your problem...our founding fathers DIDN'T reject government intervention.

They had NO problem shutting down any corporation that swindled We, the People.

I believe you are FUBR.

Have a good life.

Hold on to your bullshit concepts. Just so you know no matter what the Obama-Feinstein Axis of Evil decide , Americans will hold on to their assault rifles and high capacity magazines.

Herein lies your problem...our founding fathers DIDN'T reject government intervention.

They had NO problem shutting down any corporation that swindled We, the People.

I believe you are FUBR.

Have a good life.

Hold on to your bullshit concepts. Just so you know no matter what the Obama-Feinstein Axis of Evil decide , Americans will hold on to their assault rifles and high capacity magazines.

Don't let any facts dent your dogma. Our founding fathers and the colonists were much more anti corporation than anti government. Read up on the British East India Company and what the Boston Tea Party was REALLY about.

All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise not from defects in the Constitution or Confederation, not from a want of honor or virtue so much as from downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation.”
–John Adams, at the Constitutional Convention (1787)

Does this sound like a man who intended to give corporations, a legal fiction whose life exists only on paper, the right to free and unfettered speech?

The reality is that the Founding Fathers didn’t think very much of corporations or, for that matter, any of the organized moneyed interests that played so large a role in the decision to revolt against Mother England.

The Constitution only mentions two entities: We the People and the government. The people are on one side of a line, and we are sovereign and have individual rights. On the other side of the line is the government, which is accountable to the people and has specific duties to perform to the satisfaction of the people. We delegate some of our power to the government in order to perform tasks we want government to do. In a representative democracy, this system should work just fine.

A word that appears nowhere in the Constitution is “corporation,” for the writers had no interest in using for-profit corporations to run their new government. In colonial times, corporations were tools of the king’s oppression, chartered for the purpose of exploiting the so-called “New World” and shoveling wealth back into Europe. The rich formed joint-stock corporations to distribute the enormous risk of colonizing the Americas and gave them names like the Hudson Bay Company, the British East India Company, and the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Because they were so far from their sovereign – the king – the agents for these corporations had a lot of autonomy to do their work; they could pass laws, levy taxes, and even raise armies to manage and control property and commerce. They were not popular with the colonists.

So the Constitution’s authors left control of corporations to state legislatures (10th Amendment), where they would get the closest supervision by the people. Early corporate charters were explicit about what a corporation could do, how, for how long, with whom, where, and when. Corporations could not own stock in other corporations, and they were prohibited from any part of the political process. Individual stockholders were held personally liable for any harms done in the name of the corporation, and most charters only lasted for 10 or 15 years. But most importantly, in order to receive the profit-making privileges the shareholders sought, their corporations had to represent a clear benefit for the public good, such a building a road, canal, or bridge. And when corporations violated any of these terms, their charters were frequently revoked by the state legislatures.

That sounds nothing like the corporations of today, so what happened in the last two centuries? ref. ref.

The Founding Fathers were Classical Liberals - unfortunately , the word is used nowadays to identify politicians who support the welfare state.

Oh bullshit.
There ain't no welfare state anywhere near here. ?

HUH?

Are you on PCP?

HHS BUDGET 941 Billion in Outlays

HUH? ARE YOU ILLITERATE?
- and unable to read a map analysis?
- and under the impression that you can trot out a solo stat and expect it to mean something with no context?
- such as there was in the map?
- and unclear on the meaning of "promote the general Welfare"?
- ...even though as the map graphically demonstrates, we're doing that less than anybody else?

"Welfare state" my asshole. Bought the propaganda hook line and sinker huh?

(/offtopic)

Last edited:
The Founding Fathers were Classical Liberals - unfortunately , the word is used nowadays to identify politicians who support the welfare state.

The fact is that the concept of the “state” as presented in some modern libertarian writing owes much more to 19th century German ideas than to the 18th century Anglo-American legacy. In 18th century Britain, the question of whether ministers owed obedience to the king or to Parliament was a blurry and uncertain one. In 19th century Germany and Austro-Hungary, the question was clear: ministers obeyed the monarch. Period. “The state” as experienced by Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich von Hayek was something outside civil society, something that society could not reliably control, and therefore had to be contained. A John Adams might think of the king of England that way, but that’s not how he’d think of the legislature of the commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Libertarian psychology would have been even more indigestible to the 18th century mind than libertarian politics. Libertarianism argues that each individual should enjoy the widest possible scope to live as he or she thinks best. It’s an attractive ideal, one widely shared by 21st century people. Modern liberals share the libertarian commitment to “autonomy,” as this ideal is generally called – they just disagree about the institutions needed to support autonomy.

But to an American of the Founding generation, the ideal of autonomy would have contradicted four of the most fundamental physical and psychic facts of life:

Latinity
Calvinism
material scarcity and
slaveholding

Let’s take them in turn…

Elite Americans of the Founding generation were deeply shaped – not literally by Roman ideas, but by the 18th century understanding of Roman ideas. Here’s a perfect example: George Washington’s favorite play was Joseph Addison’s Cato, published in 1713. Washington adapted words from that play in his famous speech quelling the Newburgh mutiny in 1783. Patrick Henry’s “give me liberty or give me death” was likewise a paraphrase of a speech from Addison’s play. Ditto Nathan Hale’s “I only regret I have but one life to give for my country.” So – influential, right?

And what was the message of that play? That the most precious thing in life is honor. And what is honor? It is the esteem of the wise and the good. Better to die in a way that earns the admiration of others than to live without that admiration. It is hard to imagine a more radical antipode to Ayn Rand’s formula, “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

Less elite Americans of the Founding generation were shaped less by Addison and the Latin classics than by religious traditions heavily tinged by Calvinism.

If ever a religious tradition emphasized the danger of giving scope to the individual will, Calvinism was that tradition:

Man, having been corrupted by his fall, sins voluntarily, not with reluctance or constraint; with the strongest propensity of disposition, not with violent coercion; with the bias of his own passions, and not with external compulsion: yet such is the depravity of his nature that he cannot be excited and biased to anything but what is evil… (From Institutes of the Christian Religion).

It would be hard to imagine a mental outlook less conducive to the libertarian celebration of individual choice than that bequeathed by Calvinism not only to New England Puritanism but also to the “hardshell Baptists” of the South – such as for example the parents of Abraham Lincoln.

Only a very few Americans of the Founding generation enjoyed anything like material security. While most white Americans enjoyed a higher standard of living than European peasants, that comparative abundance was a desperately precarious state. An American who drank too much, who had too many children, who got into a fight and suffered a wound that could be infected – in short anyone who did not tightly control his impulses – risked disaster not only for himself or herself, but also for his or her loved ones. In such a world, the psychology of modern libertarianism – the desire to live unrestrained by any force outside oneself – would be seen by most as an invitation to self-destruction.

Libertarianism is very much a movement of post-1945 affluent society America, a society that has developed birth control and drug rehab, antibiotics and antidepressants. We are a society abounding in second chances. 18th century America was a society in which a personal misstep could easily lead to premature and unpleasant death. Self-actualization through self-expression was a concept not imaginable until GDP per capita rose many, many thousands of dollars higher than the level prevailing in 1776.

Fourth and finally: the libertarian ideal was psychologically unavailable to 18th century Americans because 18th century America was a slaveholding society.

Frum Forum

Let me get this straight, you are arguing in favor of Calvinism? Do you have any idea what that means?

I am not arguing in favor of Calvinism. I am arguing that Calvinism played a major role in American society in 1776.

2nd Amendement -

The Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey reports that the probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the benefits are smaller: offering no
resistance is 1.4 times more likely to result in serious injury than resisting with a gun.

Can we see a link for this study?
You are far more likely to survive
a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun.

Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing at all 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%

U.S. Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities, 1979 60
Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey 61
U.S. Department of Justice 62
U.S. Department of Justice 63
British Home Office – no a pro-gun organization by any mean

From these same studies.

Of the 2,500,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% are by women
defending themselves against sexual abuse.
Fact:
When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes are
successful, compared to 32% when unarmed.

Fact:
The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no
resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the
benefits are smaller: offering no resistance is 1.4 times more likely to result in serious injury than
resisting with a gun.

Fact:
27% of women keep a gun in the house.

Fact:
37.6 million women either own or have rapid access to guns.

Fact:
In 1966 the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms
training classes to women. The number of rapes dropped by nearly 90%.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/55878NCJRS.pdf

Hi

image removed

So you fucknut leftist gun grabbers think Heller was a big win?

ROFL

{ 1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22. }

Moron.

i have often wondered about

"keep" in the Second amendment

if that refers to more then just light arms

i could certainly keep a tank in my machine shed

The most likely source of the terminology is the Game Act of 1671 which made it unlawful for persons of limited wealth to keep guns and other "engines of destruction" used in hunting.

The avowed purpose of the law was to to prevent illegal poaching but the law was selectively enforced by James II to disarm his political opponents. This and subsequent abuses led directly to the Glorious Revolution, a bloodless coup in which James II was exiled to France and replaced by William and Mary in 1689. As a condition to the accension to the throne, William and Mary were required to sign off on the English Bill of Rights which included a provision which protected the right to arms.

Following the English Bill of Rights, a series of cases interpreted the right protected. ...

These cases held that the Game Acts did “not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence”. Rex v. Gardner, 87 Eng. Rep. 1240, 1241 (K.B. 1739); “the mere having a gun was no offense . . . for a man may keep a gun for the defense of his house and family . . .” Mallock v. Eastley, 87 Eng. Rep. 1370, 1374 (K.B. 1744); .and “a gun may be kept for the defense of a man’s house.”Wingfield v. Stratford, 96 Eng. Rep. 787 (K.B. 1752); accord, The King v. Thompson, 100 Eng. Rep. 10, 12 (K.B. 1787) (it is “not an offence to keep or use a gun”), and Rex v. Hartley, II Chitty 1178, 1183 (1782) (“a gun may be used for other purposes, as the protection of a man's house.”)

The first employment of the terminology "keep and bear arms" arises in the Massachusetts Declaration of Rights in 1780. The provision was authored by John Adams who was the most prominent trial lawyer of the period, having defended the British Troops accused of murder in the Boston Massacre and who's statements on the right of self which were made during said trial became quite famous. There is no doubt whatsoever that Adams was familiar with many of the cases above cited when he drafted the Massachusetts Declaration of Rights.

Sorry John... an arm at common law was a single man portable and use item of offense or defense intended to be employed in man to man combat. You can not carry a tank around with you... nor is a stinger missle intended to be employed in man to man combat. Body armor qualifies, however.

Rule of thumb:

1.) Things that go bang are ok.
2.) Things that go boom are not ok.

The most likely source of the terminology is the Game Act of 1671 which made it unlawful for persons of limited wealth to keep guns and other "engines of destruction" used in hunting.

The avowed purpose of the law was to to prevent illegal poaching but the law was selectively enforced by James II to disarm his political opponents. This and subsequent abuses led directly to the Glorious Revolution, a bloodless coup in which James II was exiled to France and replaced by William and Mary in 1689. As a condition to the accension to the throne, William and Mary were required to sign off on the English Bill of Rights which included a provision which protected the right to arms.

Following the English Bill of Rights, a series of cases interpreted the right protected. ...

These cases held that the Game Acts did “not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence”. Rex v. Gardner, 87 Eng. Rep. 1240, 1241 (K.B. 1739); “the mere having a gun was no offense . . . for a man may keep a gun for the defense of his house and family . . .” Mallock v. Eastley, 87 Eng. Rep. 1370, 1374 (K.B. 1744); .and “a gun may be kept for the defense of a man’s house.”Wingfield v. Stratford, 96 Eng. Rep. 787 (K.B. 1752); accord, The King v. Thompson, 100 Eng. Rep. 10, 12 (K.B. 1787) (it is “not an offence to keep or use a gun”), and Rex v. Hartley, II Chitty 1178, 1183 (1782) (“a gun may be used for other purposes, as the protection of a man's house.”)

The first employment of the terminology "keep and bear arms" arises in the Massachusetts Declaration of Rights in 1780. The provision was authored by John Adams who was the most prominent trial lawyer of the period, having defended the British Troops accused of murder in the Boston Massacre and who's statements on the right of self which were made during said trial became quite famous. There is no doubt whatsoever that Adams was familiar with many of the cases above cited when he drafted the Massachusetts Declaration of Rights.

Sorry John... an arm at common law was a single man portable and use item of offense or defense intended to be employed in man to man combat. You can not carry a tank around with you... nor is a stinger missle intended to be employed in man to man combat. Body armor qualifies, however.

Rule of thumb:

1.) Things that go bang are ok.
2.) Things that go boom are not ok.

thanks legal

rpgs are out? i can certainly carry one on my back

and although it goes boom

it is for man to man combat

have to go to work

however i certainly as always look forward to your responses

image removed

So you fucknut leftist gun grabbers think Heller was a big win?

ROFL

{ 1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22. }

Moron.

I have posted that holding on this thread numerous times. THAT is why you right wing paranoid, fear infested chicken little pea brains argument that anyone is going to take all your guns is moronic.

Did you happen to read farther pea brain?

Like how the right wing moron Scalia had little evidence, yet he still ruled

(d) The Second Amendment ’s drafting history, while of dubious interpretive worth, reveals three state Second Amendment proposals that unequivocally referred to an individual right to bear arms.

AND I'm sure you don't want this revealed...

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.

All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise not from defects in the Constitution or Confederation, not from a want of honor or virtue so much as from downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation.”
–John Adams, at the Constitutional Convention (1787)]

Sorry to but in Bfgrn, but being a history nerd I am compelled to point out that John Adams was never at the Constituional Convention. In 1787 Adams was in Europe. The quote you are employing was contained in a letter from Adams to Jefferson (who also was in Europe and did not attend the Constitutional Convention).

Does this sound like a man who intended to give corporations, a legal fiction whose life exists only on paper, the right to free and unfettered speech?

The founding fathers were not too keen on corporations. The rights associated with corporations arose by virtue of the 14th amend. And that did not give them freedom od speech either, but a major screwup by SCOTUS in a case entitled Slauterhouse Cases has sealed the deal. The Bill of Rights should be incorporated upon the states by virtue of the Privleges or Immunities Clause of the 14th which applies to citizens... and corporations are clearly not citizens. However, Slautherhouse said no and SCOTUS has stubbornly refused to overrule it. Instead they apply the due process clause to incorporate the BoRs. Due process applies to "persons" and it is pretty clear that corporations were considered persons for the purposes of the 14th... they intended that they could sue and be sued and pay taxes and have certain property rights protected.. but not such rights as freedom of speech.

(d) The Second Amendment ’s drafting history, while of dubious interpretive worth, reveals three state Second Amendment proposals that unequivocally referred to an individual right to bear arms.

Yep, three states proposed a clearly individual right to arms provision, unconnected to militia service two others were somewhat ambiguous regarding its connection to the militia, for a grand total of 5 which had an provision on a right to arms. Only 6 states proffered proposed amendments and 5 of them wanted a right to arms.... only 4 proposed a right to assemble, only 2 had a prohibition on double jeopardy and none proposed a 5th amend right of just compensation. Additionally, at least 7 states had a clearly individual right to arms in their own state constitutions within a decade of the the ratification of the Bill of Rights. Also it is clear from Madisons notes to his speech introducing his draft of the Bill of Rights that the 2nd was drawn from the English Bill of Rights provision, which was clearly an individual right for purposes of self defense. Further, all major Legal Scholars of the era, including Tucker and Rawles described it unequivocally as an individual right as did case law interpreting the 2nd and the 2nd amend state analogs. Finally, the very first case which found a "collective right" was Salina v. Blaksley, 72 Kan. 230, 83 P. 619, 3 L.R.A. (N.S.) 168, 115 Am. St. Rep. 196, 7 Am. & Eng. Ann. Cas. 925 (1905).

AND I'm sure you don't want this revealed...

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.

No problem wahtsoever, just so that laws regarding arms are subject to the same level of scrutiny as other constitutional rights, then I do not have a problem. This of course means heightened scrutiny analysis for many of the proposed laws and strict scrutiny for others... while the rational relationship test is out the window. You cool with that?

The fact is that the concept of the “state” as presented in some modern libertarian writing owes much more to 19th century German ideas than to the 18th century Anglo-American legacy. In 18th century Britain, the question of whether ministers owed obedience to the king or to Parliament was a blurry and uncertain one. In 19th century Germany and Austro-Hungary, the question was clear: ministers obeyed the monarch. Period. “The state” as experienced by Ludwig von Mises and Friedrich von Hayek was something outside civil society, something that society could not reliably control, and therefore had to be contained. A John Adams might think of the king of England that way, but that’s not how he’d think of the legislature of the commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Libertarian psychology would have been even more indigestible to the 18th century mind than libertarian politics. Libertarianism argues that each individual should enjoy the widest possible scope to live as he or she thinks best. It’s an attractive ideal, one widely shared by 21st century people. Modern liberals share the libertarian commitment to “autonomy,” as this ideal is generally called – they just disagree about the institutions needed to support autonomy.

But to an American of the Founding generation, the ideal of autonomy would have contradicted four of the most fundamental physical and psychic facts of life:

Latinity
Calvinism
material scarcity and
slaveholding

Let’s take them in turn…

Elite Americans of the Founding generation were deeply shaped – not literally by Roman ideas, but by the 18th century understanding of Roman ideas. Here’s a perfect example: George Washington’s favorite play was Joseph Addison’s Cato, published in 1713. Washington adapted words from that play in his famous speech quelling the Newburgh mutiny in 1783. Patrick Henry’s “give me liberty or give me death” was likewise a paraphrase of a speech from Addison’s play. Ditto Nathan Hale’s “I only regret I have but one life to give for my country.” So – influential, right?

And what was the message of that play? That the most precious thing in life is honor. And what is honor? It is the esteem of the wise and the good. Better to die in a way that earns the admiration of others than to live without that admiration. It is hard to imagine a more radical antipode to Ayn Rand’s formula, “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

Less elite Americans of the Founding generation were shaped less by Addison and the Latin classics than by religious traditions heavily tinged by Calvinism.

If ever a religious tradition emphasized the danger of giving scope to the individual will, Calvinism was that tradition:

Man, having been corrupted by his fall, sins voluntarily, not with reluctance or constraint; with the strongest propensity of disposition, not with violent coercion; with the bias of his own passions, and not with external compulsion: yet such is the depravity of his nature that he cannot be excited and biased to anything but what is evil… (From Institutes of the Christian Religion).

It would be hard to imagine a mental outlook less conducive to the libertarian celebration of individual choice than that bequeathed by Calvinism not only to New England Puritanism but also to the “hardshell Baptists” of the South – such as for example the parents of Abraham Lincoln.

Only a very few Americans of the Founding generation enjoyed anything like material security. While most white Americans enjoyed a higher standard of living than European peasants, that comparative abundance was a desperately precarious state. An American who drank too much, who had too many children, who got into a fight and suffered a wound that could be infected – in short anyone who did not tightly control his impulses – risked disaster not only for himself or herself, but also for his or her loved ones. In such a world, the psychology of modern libertarianism – the desire to live unrestrained by any force outside oneself – would be seen by most as an invitation to self-destruction.

Libertarianism is very much a movement of post-1945 affluent society America, a society that has developed birth control and drug rehab, antibiotics and antidepressants. We are a society abounding in second chances. 18th century America was a society in which a personal misstep could easily lead to premature and unpleasant death. Self-actualization through self-expression was a concept not imaginable until GDP per capita rose many, many thousands of dollars higher than the level prevailing in 1776.

Fourth and finally: the libertarian ideal was psychologically unavailable to 18th century Americans because 18th century America was a slaveholding society.

Frum Forum

Let me get this straight, you are arguing in favor of Calvinism? Do you have any idea what that means?

I am not arguing in favor of Calvinism. I am arguing that Calvinism played a major role in American society in 1776.

Simple yes or no question, which explains why you ignored it. Do you know what that means? It actually destroys your argument that the founders wanted a huge government with a lot of power, which explains why we had the Articles of Confederation instead of a Constitution.

liberals_ban_things_they_dont_like.jpg

Forum List

Back