Tennessee 5-year-old detained after firing handgun in school cafeteria

We need more info on this. Was the 5 year old in a well organized militia?

No, but apparently this is now a racial issue. The parents are bad parents because they are black; at least that seems to be the implication of posting the information that this school is a predominantly black school. Of course, white parents are never irresponsble gun owners. :lame2:

Other than the unrelated back and forth personal bickering, I was curious how the information might change the tone of the thread.

Tennessee 5-year-old detained after firing handgun in school cafeteria

Can we please, please, please arrest these parents and get the kid in foster care before it's too late??

A 5-year-old kindergartener has reportedly been detained at a school in Tennessee after a handgun discharged in the cafeteria.

Shawn Pachucki with Shelby County Schools told WMCT that police were called to Westside Elementary School following a gunshot that happened in the cafeteria at around 7:30 a.m. Pachucki said that the child brought the gun to school in a backpack and it accidentally discharged.

“This morning at Westside Elementary School, a Kindergarten student brought a firearm to school in his backpack,” a statement from Shelby County Schools said. “While waiting for the opening bell in the cafeteria, the firearm discharged accidentally inside the child’s backpack. Nobody was injured, and staff immediately took possession of the backpack.”

The statement added: “SCS Security and the Memphis Police Department responded quickly, and the matter is now under investigation. There is no evidence at this time of harmful intent; however, weapons of any kind are prohibited on campuses, and this student will be disciplined in accordance with the state’s zero tolerance policy.”

Reports said that the child was being held inside the principal’s office.

Why are his parents names and pictures up on the news so they can be publicly shamed as the worst parents ever?

Where did the gun come from? Did the child take it from the home or was it found on the street on his way to school?

No, but apparently this is now a racial issue. The parents are bad parents because they are black; at least that seems to be the implication of posting the information that this school is a predominantly black school. Of course, white parents are never irresponsble gun owners. :lame2:

Other than the unrelated back and forth personal bickering, I was curious how the information might change the tone of the thread.

I think it is a deflection and irresponsible to try to turn this into a racial issue. We have seen other instances, and have had threads about them, where a small child got a hold of a gun and shot someone. There have been at least 3 others on this message board since I joined in February. I don't think race was brought up in the other instances, but that is probably because the parents were white. In the other threads, most agreed it had to do with irresponsible gun owners. Why there is any other discussion about it I don't know, but it certainly is not a racial issue.

What part of "The right to bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand? Our founding fathers said nothing about 5 year olds

Now you are beginning to get it. Do you doubt that this child may need protection going to and from school?

I am going to assume that this is sarcasm, since nobody could possibly be this disconnected from the real world.

I think it is a deflection and irresponsible to try to turn this into a racial issue. We have seen other instances, and have had threads about them, where a small child got a hold of a gun and shot someone. There have been at least 3 others on this message board since I joined in February. I don't think race was brought up in the other instances, but that is probably because the parents were white. In the other threads, most agreed it had to do with irresponsible gun owners. Why there is any other discussion about it i don't know, but it certainly is not a racial issue.

The kid could have been the lone hispanic. That information isn't out. Memphis is a shit hole, the kid comes from an area that is hardly upper class. These are not factors that shade the discussion?

Incredible that anyone would not condemn this.

A five year old, opens fire in a school cafeteria and there are actually some here who seem to be making excuses.

Next, someone will say the kid was a member of Arpaio's "posse" and was on the job, protecting the school.

Yea, let's begin with the parents of the latest thugz who slaughtered an Australian boy and a WWII Vet.. Go arrest their parents, right now.. Nutbag above^^ demands it!

Yea...because it is obviously not the parents fault that a 5 year old ends up with a loaded handgun

It may be, we don't know, not by the facts so far. As for the thugs, well, I don't think you can blame the parents no matter what, after a certain age, you know what's right and wrong. If you don't, you are a psychopath and should be locked up for the rest of your life.

Incredible that anyone would not condemn this.

A five year old, opens fire in a school cafeteria and there are actually some here who seem to be making excuses.

Next, someone will say the kid was a member of Arpaio's "posse" and was on the job, protecting the school.

From what I read, the gun went off accidentally. It's not like the 5 year old was trying to kill someone. Should action be taken? Yes! But let's not act as if this kid set out to murder his classmates. At this point we don't even know how he got the gun.

Why are they using this image of the supposed shooter?

kidwithgun-shutterstock.jpg

Bet he wasn't white. Would the OP's outrage be any different if the child was black?

What part of "The right to bear arms shall not be infringed" don't you understand? Our founding fathers said nothing about 5 year olds

Now you are beginning to get it. Do you doubt that this child may need protection going to and from school?

I am going to assume that this is sarcasm, since nobody could possibly be this disconnected from the real world.

What do you think "shall not be infringed" means?

It is not the same for kids today as it was for you and me

A five year old has to deal with kids pushing him on the playground, stealing his lunch money. Hey, he may even run into a black kid

Packing heat makes sense

A five year old has to deal with kids pushing him on the playground, stealing his lunch money. Hey, he may even run into a black kid

Packing heat makes sense
The kid with the gun chance are he was black. 87.2% chance.

Packing heat makes sense
The kid with the gun chance are he was black. 87.2% chance.

You have a point somewhere?

Forum List

Back