Tesla making ALL HYPERCARS IRRELEVANT!!!!

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
Latest Tesla PLAID+ EDITION, 4 DOOR, scorches the quarter in 9.2 seconds at over 150 MPH, Leno took it down the quarter with 2 people and equipment in it and went 9.52 all on STOCK TIRES!....COST $149,990....Also making one about 1/2 second slower called just a plaid for $120,000!....put that engineering into the 2 door, good looking roadster due out in 2022 and KISS THOSE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES good bye...good for NOSTALGIA racing!....Range said to be up to 500 miles IF driven sanely!!!

I got to test drive a Tesla Model S P90D back in 2015. It was an amazing car then, and has only gotten better.
Leno said he has never driven a quicker 1/4 mile street car, let alone a 4 door car that looks like a doctor should be driving!

I got to test drive a Tesla Model S P90D back in 2015. It was an amazing car then, and has only gotten better.
Leno said he has never driven a quicker 1/4 mile street car, let alone a 4 door car that looks like a doctor should be driving!

What amazed me was when we were getting on the on ramp to GA400, the Tesla tech turned to my friend and girlfriend and said "Make sure your head is not turn to the side. It can tweak your neck when he accelerates".

I have driven some fast cars. But when I punched it in that Tesla it felt like a ride at 6 Flags. It was more like a launch than acceleration.

What amazed me was when we were getting on the on ramp to GA400, the Tesla tech turned to my friend and girlfriend and said "Make sure your head is not turn to the side. It can tweak your neck when he accelerates".

I have driven some fast cars. But when I punched it in that Tesla it felt like a ride at 6 Flags. It was more like a launch than acceleration.
Years ago I had a mid 9 second Buick Grand National with twin turbos that I actually was afraid of....stock chassis with over 1000HP makes for a scary shut down...motor was so powerful felt like it was trying to power itself out of the engine compartment....Sold it to a street racer in NY that had that 6 cylinder Buick running 7 second quarters over 10 years ago!...But I did LOVE that car and made serious money racing on Long Island.

While the acceleration of the Tesla is amazing, the other technology is impressive as well. The backup camera gives you measurements to any object. A camera on the back of the inside rearview mirror actually reads speed limit signs. It was a super comfortable car. I am 6'2" and had no problem being in the back seat. The big display on the dash would take some getting used to, but it gives you so many options. And the sound system was pretty good for stock.

And this was 6 years ago.

Latest Tesla PLAID+ EDITION, 4 DOOR, scorches the quarter in 9.2 seconds at over 150 MPH, Leno took it down the quarter with 2 people and equipment in it and went 9.52 all on STOCK TIRES!....COST $149,990....Also making one about 1/2 second slower called just a plaid for $120,000!....put that engineering into the 2 door, good looking roadster due out in 2022 and KISS THOSE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES good bye...good for NOSTALGIA racing!....Range said to be up to 500 miles IF driven sanely!!!
$150K.

You really think this is going to replace Mr. and Mrs. Average America's sedan?

The Tesla roadster is supposed to do 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. Its preposterous that they can even keep traction. Its almost as fast as it can possibly be. Unless they invent a new type of rubber that grips even better, its going to be impossible to get much quicker than that off the line without drag racing slicks.

You still can't go many places to get a fill up. Does everyone have to have their own charging station? An invitation to thieves.

Why in the world would anyone want to go that fast? Keep them away from teenagers!

You still can't go many places to get a fill up. Does everyone have to have their own charging station? An invitation to thieves.

Why in the world would anyone want to go that fast? Keep them away from teenagers!

Yes, most Tesla owners have their own charger. Not sure thieves want to mess with something connected to a 220v line. Nor are most thieves capable of hooking them up.

As for charging, you can get 200 miles worth of charge in about 15 minutes. Unless you run the charge in the vehicle way down, it shouldn't take long to charge.

The average driver doesn't give a shit how fast a car does the quarter mile.

And FYI all electric cars that are sold to the public have a top end speed that is intentionally limited so your tesla will not do 150 mph

$150K.

You really think this is going to replace Mr. and Mrs. Average America's sedan?

The loaded +Edition of the Model S Plaid? No. That is the high end.

But the Model Y is capable of 300+ miles on a charge, gets to 60mph in 3.5 seconds, seats 5, and can be had nicely options for $50k to $55k.

And FYI all electric cars that are sold to the public have a top end speed that is intentionally limited so your tesla will not do 150 mph

The 0-60 is a novelty, for sure. But being able to pass someone quickly, avoid a problem, or merge on to the interstate easily is not a novelty. And the 0-60 speed is also the 10-70 speed, the 30-90 speed and the 50-110 speed.

I have not seen anything saying the Teslas (or all electric cars) are limited in their speed. Do you have a link?

The 0-60 is a novelty, for sure. But being able to pass someone quickly, avoid a problem, or merge on to the interstate easily is not a novelty. And the 0-60 speed is also the 10-70 speed, the 30-90 speed and the 50-110 speed.

I have not seen anything saying the Teslas (or all electric cars) are limited in their speed. Do you have a link?

most manufacturers of electric cars limit the top speed to preserve battery charge.

most manufacturers of electric cars limit the top speed to preserve battery charge.

I don't think that matters as much. In my years of driving, I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone 120 mph or more. But the times I have needed a burst of speed are pretty common.

Forum List

Back