Texas Flood Blues

I posted SRV last time they had their heavy rain, not nearly as appropriate as now of course.

"Well it's flooding down in Texas. All of the telephone lines are down"

I posted SRV last time they had their heavy rain, not nearly as appropriate as now of course.

That particular song is a perfect fit, but Stevie Ray is appropriate even if it hasn't rained in a month.

That particular song is a perfect fit, but Stevie Ray is appropriate even if it hasn't rained in a month.
With all due respect for the dead, SRV was a mix of Albert King and Hendrix. Nothing original in his sound and copied incessantly.
Brother Jimmie has a signature sound and when people copy him they sound like Jimmie Vaughan instead of a mixture of two other people.
A signature in art is success.
And Texas Flood came to my mind the very second propagandists tried to sell this one as unprecedented.

With all due respect for the dead, SRV was a mix of Albert King and Hendrix. Nothing original in his sound and copied incessantly.
Brother Jimmie has a signature sound and when people copy him they sound like Jimmie Vaughan instead of a mixture of two other people.
And Texas Flood came to my mind the very second propagandists tried to sell this one as unprecedented.

I disagree. Yes, he was influenced by many before him and had a particular admiration for Hendrix. Of all those who came after him he was able to come to the closest to his sound, and his well known instrumental of Little Wing alone puts him in the upper echelon of guitarists.

As John Paul Jones the great bassist of Led Zeppelin once stated, "I challenge any musician to argue they are not a product of their influences". Every talented musician had to find sounds they liked, music that interested them in their pursuits. They will take these influences; some more than others, and mold their own sound from it.

Here's one song I think reflects some of the unique creativity of Stevie Rays sound, and there are many others:

Stevie Ray Vaughan *Riviera Paradise* Dolby Digital 5.1

I disagree. Yes, he was influenced by many before him and had a particular admiration for Hendrix. Of all those who came after him he was able to come to the closest to his sound, and his well known instrumental of Little Wing alone puts him in the upper echelon of guitarists.

As John Paul Jones the great bassist of Led Zeppelin once stated, "I challenge any musician to argue they are not a product of their influences". Every talented musician had to find sounds they liked, music that interested them in their pursuits. They will take these influences; some more than others, and mold their own sound from it.

Here's one song I think reflects some of the unique creativity of Stevie Rays sound, and there are many others:

Stevie Ray Vaughan *Riviera Paradise* Dolby Digital 5.1

I don't necessarily disagree.
But SRV sounds like Albert King and Jimi Hendrix.
Albert King sounds like Albert King; Jimi Hendrix sounds like Jimi Hendrix; Keith Richards sounds like Keith Richards; Jimmie Vaughan sounds like Jimmie Vaughan, etc.
It was the Hendrix influence that made SRV more marketable than his brother.

Forum List

Back