Texas Gov. Rick Perry Indicted For Abuse Of Power

Ahhhhh--there's nothing political whatsoever about it ? :lol:

Oh sure there is. Perry didnt like her because she got drunk, wanted her to resign, She refused too, so perry decided to veto funds ( which they admitted to as the reason) she in turn takes Perry to court.

Flip this around and you would have the samething if it was a democratic governor, Its just your posts would be slightly different.
She got drunk? Seriously? she was driving drunk, then she got abusive with officers while under arrest for DUI!

She's a DA ffs, and what the fuck is wrong with you?

its irrelevant to the issue. She went to jail for 21 days, she did her time.

The only thing about her DUI is that perry used that in order to want her to resign, she didn't, so he said no funds for you, and she sued.

the odds are Perry won't see any jail time if guilty. At best maybe a fine and probation...

Oh sure there is. Perry didnt like her because she got drunk, wanted her to resign, She refused too, so perry decided to veto funds ( which they admitted to as the reason) she in turn takes Perry to court.

Flip this around and you would have the samething if it was a democratic governor, Its just your posts would be slightly different.
She got drunk? Seriously? she was driving drunk, then she got abusive with officers while under arrest for DUI!

The only thing about her DUI is that perry used that in order to want her to resign, she didn't, so he said no funds for you, and she sued.

the odds are Perry won't see any jail time if guilty. At best maybe a fine and probation...

This whole issue only reinforces the view of many that conservatives are authoritarian in nature. What's next? Is Governor Perry going to review the personal behavior of everyone in Texas who works for city and country governments and threaten to defund their departments unless or until the people he finds offensive resign?

Keep in mind that these are the people who accuse Obama of being a dictator.

This indictment has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that Lehmberg got a DUI or if Rick Perry has the authority to veto.

Lehmberg headed the Public Integrity Unit, a part of the DAs office that investigates misdeeds of state agencies and officials. They were investigating how a Dallas based company, Peloton Therapeutics had recieved an $11 million grant from the Cancer Prevention and research Institute without proper review and before CPRIT became awash in scandal. CPRIT was one of Perrys proudest accomplishments during his 14 years in office.

The "resign or I will veto" threat came as the Public Integrity Unit ((Lehmberg) was looking into CPRIT. The creation of CPRIT was championed by Perry. The institute was hit by a scandal regarding grants going to those who made contributions and political donations. The agencies former chief officer was indicted after witholding information that an 11 million grant had NOT been reviewed as required.

Perry was trying to get Lehmbergs resignation because he could appoint her successor. She was elected to the position but a republican could be appointed by Perry to replace her. So it was either resign or I will defund the Public Integrity Division to undermine its investigation of CPRIT.

This information is from The Houston Chronicle yesterday and today.

Believe it or not, the specifics of her offense is not relevant to Perry's abuse of his power since there's not some kind of sliding scale of acceptability to when a governor can or can't use the budget to force other public officials out of office. Keep in mind that Lehmberg was not a Perry political appointee nor was she a member of his administration. My understanding is that District Attorneys are elected by the counties in which they serve.

An equivalent on the national level would be if any President tried to use the budget to force an elected State official (like a State Attorney General) to resign. I'm sure that YOU would agree that would be an abuse of power for the President of the United States, who's the head of the Federal Gov't, to try to force the State Attorney General of Texas to resign. Or do you think that would be okay?

You didn't answer my question. Did you watch the videos of her?

Nah.. They don't want to see old liberal fat girl slurring all over the place, falling when trying to doing the sobriety test, lying over and over, kicking and screaming, threatening to spit on police officers.. THE LIBERAL WHO RUNS THE INTEGRITY UNIT lmfao.. Rick Perry said NO, I WILL NOT FUND THE INTEGRITY UNIT of this DA who refused to resign.. so he vetoed the spending bill.. and they indict him in DEMOCRATLAND.. I am loving it because like so many Dems have said over the past 24 hrs, this is going to come back to haunt these idiots..

Do you think she is fit to run the Department of Public Integrity?

Last edited:

Nah.. They don't want to see old liberal fat girl slurring all over the place, falling when trying to doing the sobriety test, lying over and over, kicking and screaming, threatening to spit on police officers.. THE LIBERAL WHO RUNS THE INTEGRITY UNIT lmfao.. Rick Perry said NO, I WILL NOT FUND THE INTEGRITY UNIT of this DA who refused to resign.. so he vetoed the spending bill.. and they indict him in DEMOCRATLAND.. I am loving it because like so many Dems have said over the past 24 hrs, this is going to come back to haunt these idiots..

No, but she would make one helluva Community Organizer.

After watching the videos, this woman is unfit for her position. She clearly proved she is unfit. She did it to herself. Those of you that defend her are clearly party hacks and, like her, should never be allowed anyway near government.

not really....she should be gone, but Perry should be as well.

After watching the videos, this woman is unfit for her position. She clearly proved she is unfit. She did it to herself. Those of you that defend her are clearly party hacks and, like her, should never be allowed anyway near government.
Quote:

"Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth.
Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician".
~~G.S.Patton, Jr. General, USA

This whole issue only reinforces the view of many that conservatives are authoritarian in nature. What's next? Is Governor Perry going to review the personal behavior of everyone in Texas who works for city and country governments and threaten to defund their departments unless or until the people he finds offensive resign?

Keep in mind that these are the people who accuse Obama of being a dictator.

well yes, on the face of it, it makes them look like a joke, but on the other hand the woman is a drunk and shouldnt be working as a DA, But on the other hand we all know how much drugs and drinking goes on in Politics.

She is wrong and Perry was wrong for his actions.

Quote:

"Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth.
Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician".
~~G.S.Patton, Jr. General, USA

A shame for him since he worked for them, and they won both WWI and II...

Whether she is fit or not has nothing to do with Perry breaking the law and now facing two felony counts for doing so. Who shot Kennedy and the price of tea in China is not relevant either.

You have no way of knowing that, no one does. Use rational thought next time, not partisan mudslinging.

Actually, I do. Use rational thought for the first time in your life, boy, and maybe, just MAYBE you will figure it out. Think! I promise it won't hurt!
Really, do tell how you can "know" what happened that night? Do you have magic beans, a crystal ball? Please, we are very curious...

OK, I guess I need to explain it for the slow kid: the position of her body clearly indicated that she was alive when the car went into the water.

Political Payback: Rick Perry Indicted in Power Struggle with Democrat-Controlled DA Office

Lehmberg’s sentence, a fine and 45 days in jail, was most likely the highest in history in Travis County for a first-time DWI charge. The investigation into her case also revealed a less-than-flattering picture of her drinking habits. Subpoenaed receipts from Twin Liquors showed her buying 72 bottles of Cirroc vodka—totaling more than 23 gallons—in a 15-month period, and that Lehmberg spread her purchases out among different stores. This amount only covers purchases made with her credit card at that one liquor store chain, not cash purchases or alcohol obtained elsewhere.
In Texas, the district attorney is the county’s lead law enforcement officer, and the Travis County District Attorney has the additional responsibility of prosecuting public crimes under the Public Integrity Unit, leading to a loud outcry for Lehmberg’s resignation from lawmakers and public safety groups. State Rep. Phil King (R-Weatherford) sharply condemned her behavior, saying that what he’d seen on the videos from her arrest “showed incredible belligerence and disrespect” and an “utter contempt and disrespect for the law and for the office."

The Texas Local Government Code, in Chapter 87, allows public officials like district attorneys to be removed from office for "incompetency, official misconduct, habitual drunkenness, or other causes defined by law." The 1987 revision to the law added a single incidence of intoxication on or off duty as a potential cause for removal.
However, because Lehmberg is a Democrat, elected in Travis County, one of the most Democratic-heavy areas of the state, and Governor Perry, a Republican, would be able to pick her replacement, other Democrats quickly rallied to her defense. Other prosecutors who worked under Lehmberg publicly supported her remaining in office, as did State Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin).

PMH asked if if a DUI was grounds for terminating a public servant. If that public servant runs the PUBLIC INTEGRITY UNIT and WONT step down --- the governor has every right to DEFUND that unit..

Not to mention the law that SUPPORTS her removal. Is there a public safety interest here? Of course. Unless you value partisan politics more highly than PUBLIC INTEGRITY..
I'm betting there's a process to follow, which Perry ignored just like the law. If he had tried to do this the right and legal way, he wouldn't be facing two felony charges now would he?

Good executives use all the tools at their disposal.. If you can't get rid of the culprit -- got rid of the office they work in.. Perfect !!!!

And you're wasting time expecting those felony charges to stick. They are just an angry ugly drunk lawyer lashing out at her political nemesis for your amusement.. It's what drunk ugly lawyers do.... :eusa_whistle:

not really....she should be gone, but Perry should be as well.

Perry asked her to resign. What other recourse did he have?

Actually, I do. Use rational thought for the first time in your life, boy, and maybe, just MAYBE you will figure it out. Think! I promise it won't hurt!
Really, do tell how you can "know" what happened that night? Do you have magic beans, a crystal ball? Please, we are very curious...

OK, I guess I need to explain it for the slow kid: the position of her body clearly indicated that she was alive when the car went into the water.
It did? Indicated? Does that means "for sure"? And how do you know such a thing?

Did it "indicate" whether she was driving or a passenger? Front seat or back seat? Do tell oh all-knowing one...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back