• I'm going out (restaurant)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I'm working a soup kitchen

• No plans

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Watching Football & Drinking Beer

• Other (I always forget something obvious...)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
thanksgiving is the only day I have fried turkey.

I've never had fried turkey. Just oven roasted. Which do you prefer?

FRIED. I rarely eat beef & I do not eat fish at all, so I have roasted chicken with stuffing/gravy quite often so roast turkey is almost the same. I can't tell you how f'n good fried turkey is. my nephew injects them with different flavors- usually teriyaki, garlic & butter & sometimes with Italian salad dressing. it's soooooo decadent, but on thanksgiving- I do not care.

Speaking of beef, I have some steak in the fridge marinating for that beef teriyaki. :D I'll let you know how it comes out. It's been marinating since last night, so it should be good and tender. I didn't buy flank steak for it though. I bought bottom round which is sliced thin and about the size of a beef teriyaki. I might end up trimming a little off, but I just know it's gonna be good! :eusa_dance:

Well, if we're marinating, I like pork roast marinated in peach ale (there's a brewery here in Arizona, Four Peaks, that makes a wonderful peach ale) and served with grilled peaches.

For turkey, I like to rub it down with a mixture of kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, nutmeg, and ground cloves, then baste it with pulpy orange juice. I don't care for terribly spicy food, but if I did, I could add some cayenne pepper to that.

For my money, mashed potatoes have to be homemade. My family will eat instant, but I'd rather lick the inside of the trashcan. Besides, they're incredibly easy. Peel 'em, chop 'em, boil 'em, add evaporated milk, butter, and poultry seasoning, and hit 'em with the hand mixer. I happen to like my mashed potatoes with chunks of potato still in 'em.
You are working too hard and loosing a LOT of nutrition. Leave the skin on, scrub them with a Scotch Brite pad, nuke them for 5 minutes, add a little water, butter, half n half, mash em up. Done.

For my money, mashed potatoes have to be homemade. My family will eat instant, but I'd rather lick the inside of the trashcan. Besides, they're incredibly easy. Peel 'em, chop 'em, boil 'em, add evaporated milk, butter, and poultry seasoning, and hit 'em with the hand mixer. I happen to like my mashed potatoes with chunks of potato still in 'em.
You are working too hard and loosing a LOT of nutrition. Leave the skin on, scrub them with a Scotch Brite pad, nuke them for 5 minutes, add a little water, butter, half n half, mash em up. Done.

Actually, I peel them by scoring a light line around the middle with a knife, then boiling them, then just sliding the peels off once they're cooked. Least amount of work I've ever found on the subject.

I don't care for nuked potatoes.

Actually, I peel them by scoring a light line around the middle with a knife, then boiling them, then just sliding the peels off once they're cooked. Least amount of work I've ever found on the subject.

You are tossing away the nutrition in the peel, and fiber. And pouring a lot down the drain. Steaming retains more than boiling but it takes much longer. I can't say I can taste the difference between nuked and boiled though.

You are tossing away the nutrition in the peel, and fiber. And pouring a lot down the drain. Steaming retains more than boiling but it takes much longer. I can't say I can taste the difference between nuked and boiled though.

Some people might not like the skin. Ever think of that?

Went out for dinner last night as it happens. Brother's home atm, working out of state as he does we do things around his presence. While I pushed for a traditional turkey n gravy dinner at Mom's, I was outvoted in favor of dinner out. An exorbitantly priced 11oz top sirloin and fries with water. The fries were disgusting but the steak was ok, not $22 okay, but wasn't the one paying. :)

Well, then, feel free not to eat at my house. I'm making potatoes the way I like my potatoes, and you're not obligated to eat them or to cook yours the same way. I would be sorry if my potato preparation didn't meet your exacting standards of "right and wrong potatoes", except that I didn't ask, don't care, and don't plan to change that.

Wow an argument over potatoes...

BTW, if you boil a whole potato, how long do you have to boil them to get the skins to come off? I know it depends on the size of the potato, but for an average sized one, approx.?

Well, then, feel free not to eat at my house. I'm making potatoes the way I like my potatoes, and you're not obligated to eat them or to cook yours the same way. I would be sorry if my potato preparation didn't meet your exacting standards of "right and wrong potatoes", except that I didn't ask, don't care, and don't plan to change that.

Meh, everyone is an expert online, you know. :D You are always going to be doing it wrong according to somebody somewhere I suppose. Lol.

I just think people like drama!

A thread is boring if a fight doesn't break out.....

If you peel those potatoes I will kick yer ass! Leave them damn skins on, only retards peel potatoes!

63001395.jpg

Wow an argument over potatoes...

BTW, if you boil a whole potato, how long do you have to boil them to get the skins to come off? I know it depends on the size of the potato, but for an average sized one, approx.?

Honestly, I've never timed it. I just test them until they're the correct consistency. Probably has something to do with the fact that I don't always make the same amount.

I'm old fashioned and if I'm making mashed potatoes, I usually peel them, cut them into cubes and boil them. I add things like sour cream and cheese. I like to make loaded mashed potatoes with crumbled bacon, scallions, sour cream, and some cheese. Delicious but of course you can only have those on special occasions. :)

Meh, everyone is an expert online, you know. :D You are always going to be doing it wrong according to somebody somewhere I suppose. Lol.

Hey, I'm all about conversations about recipes, tips, and ideas. Abrasive, in-your-face "You're wrong, you have to do it like this or YOU'RE FUCKING UP!" are something else entirely. I'm never very tolerant about people coming at me that way, and right now, Northeasterners are on my last nerve, so adopting their attitude isn't likely to get a good response.

Forum List

Back