The 10 most—and the 10 least—reputable brands

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
The 10 most—and the 10 least—reputable brands

Amazon is the most reputable brand in America, according to the 13th annual Harris Poll Reputation Quotient.

The online retailer unseated Apple, which held the top spot in last year’s poll. Walt Disney Co., Google, and Johnson & Johnson round out the top five.

Among industries, technology was the most reputable, followed by travel and tourism, retail, consumer products, and telecom.

Although Amazon saw a boost, corporate America’s overall reputation dropped to 2008 levels—a situation Harris Interactive called “relatively grim”—with fewer “great” companies.

Harris Interactive considers a brand “great” if it scores above 80 on its Reputation Quotient, which the company determines through interviews with 19,000 people.

The six “great” companies are Amazon, Apple, Disney, Google, J&J, and Coca-Cola. Last year, there were eight “great” companies; in 2011, there were 16.

Meanwhile, Goldman Sachs and AIG are the only two companies that scored below 50. Bank of America, which held this dubious distinction last year, climbed above 50. In fact, it was among the Reputation Quotient’s biggest movers, although it still remains among the 10 least reputable companies. Six of the 10 companies at the bottom of the list are from the financial services industry.

*snip*

Here are the 10 most reputable companies and their scores:

1. Amazon (82.62)
2. Apple (82.54)
3. Walt Disney (82.12)
4. Google (81.32)
5. Johnson & Johnson (80.95)
6. Coca-Cola (80.39)
7. Whole Foods Market (78.65)
8. Sony (78.29)
9. Procter & Gamble (77.98)
10. Costco (77.95)

Here are the companies at the bottom of the list:

51. Comcast (60.99)
52. Wells Fargo (60.47)
53. JPMorgan Chase (58.20)
54. BP (56.55)
55. Citigroup (55.90)
56. Bank of America (55.85)
57. American Airlines (53.85)
58. Halliburton (52.51)
59. Goldman Sachs (49.39)
60. AIG (48.57)

To see last year’s list of the most and least reputable companies, click here.

Last edited:
Screw Amazon. I placed an order that never showed up. Eventually got them to admit that the product was never in the warehouse to begin with.

Brookstone had it to me in two days.

I'm addicted to Amazon.

I think Costco is about to drop out of the top 10: Tiffany Sues Costco on Alleged Fakes

Tiffany sued Costco Wholesale Corp. on Thursday, contending that the warehouse chain sold engagement rings it falsely claimed were made by the luxury jewelry company.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, claims Costco violated counterfeiting laws by selling fake Tiffany rings for many years. It seeks to find out the exact number of counterfeit Tiffany rings Costco sold and the source of the jewelry, as well as damages.

Screw Amazon. I placed an order that never showed up. Eventually got them to admit that the product was never in the warehouse to begin with.

Brookstone had it to me in two days.

I've never had any problems with Amazon for the 3 years i've used it

I'm addicted to Amazon.

I think Costco is about to drop out of the top 10: Tiffany Sues Costco on Alleged Fakes

Tiffany sued Costco Wholesale Corp. on Thursday, contending that the warehouse chain sold engagement rings it falsely claimed were made by the luxury jewelry company.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, claims Costco violated counterfeiting laws by selling fake Tiffany rings for many years. It seeks to find out the exact number of counterfeit Tiffany rings Costco sold and the source of the jewelry, as well as damages.

I'm addicted to Costco!

I hope it forces their stock to drop, so I can buy some!

I was talking to one of the managers the other day and she was telling me that she's been buying Costco stock since she started working for them in 1994 and the stock price was $6. Now it's over $100. In the latest dividend she was sent a check for over $9,000.

On a similar note, I remember seeing Apple at $6 per share in the early 2000s. I also remember wanting to buy some, but back then there wasn't Sharebuilder, and you had to have an account with a brokerage, and all that yadda, yadda, yadda... What's Apple at now? $600+ per share? Makes me ill.

Last edited:
That's a funny list. Amazing how people continue to hate Halliburton despite it having been years since they took cronyism to new levels.
Bullshit. They were involved with all types of scandals throughout the Iraq War. Part of that legacy of scandals belong to KBR, one of their subsidiaries until 2007. And they also performed miserably during Katrina's aftermath.

They also, under Dick Cheney's CEO-ship, made a $50 million deal with Saddam Hussein in the mid-1990s.

So, when the Gulf War was raging in 1991, Defense Secretary Cheney compared Saddam to Hitler, then in 1995 he's making a $50 million deal with him, then in 2002 he's back to being Hitler - or worse!

Dick Cheney is scum. Every breath he takes is an insult to America.

Comcast is at the bottom? Really? I've been with them for ages (recently tried out Fios, ended up switching back to Comcast). Have read a lot of negative things about them but I've always received very good customer service, never a problem.

Forum List

Back