The 1950s were overrated!

Last edited:
Elvis' voice was awesome, and he put out some really great songs, but I couldn't take much of watching him sing. He was too weirdly animated for my tastes. I also consider him the King of rock and roll.

I was also a Ricky Nelson fan.

Motown ruled the 1960s - until the Beatles invasion.

Last edited:
Nostalgia. Children aren't aware of or don't understand the social and political problems that are going on during their childhood. Stuff was going in the 50s. Blacks had a real hard time, as did a woman who became pregnant outside of marriage. People were forced to get married if they were pregnant. Or the girl was forced to give up the child. Women had to pretend to be virgins or to be virgins before anyone would marry them. Women were relegated to low paying subservient jobs, except for nursing and teaching, which were not so subservient but were low paying. Lots of awful things about the 50s, as well as good things. Not really any better than today, just different. I had a decent enough childhood, though I grew up in not the best neighborhood. There were gypsies in our neighborhood and an abortionist lived a few blocks away. People knew but I guess didn't turn him in. I walked home from high school every day for four years, and each of those days walked by the house of two brothers who it was later learned had murdered a couple of teenagers who had parked in our town's lover's lane. Good times. Well, as good as they are today, but not necessarily better. I can hardly imagine what it was like to watch TV without a remote control, but we did.

95% of music today sucks. Elvis ruled.

I guess you like thug culture.

I agree that most new music sucks. Them and Elvis have something in common. Talentless hacks who can't even write their own songs. He was the 50s equivalent of a boy band.

As far as "thug culture" goes, 80s and 90s rap was great. While there are occasionally good artists nowadays, most of them suck.

Nostalgia. Children aren't aware of or don't understand the social and political problems that are going on during their childhood. Stuff was going in the 50s. Blacks had a real hard time, as did a woman who became pregnant outside of marriage. People were forced to get married if they were pregnant. Or the girl was forced to give up the child. Women had to pretend to be virgins or to be virgins before anyone would marry them. Women were relegated to low paying subservient jobs, except for nursing and teaching, which were not so subservient but were low paying. Lots of awful things about the 50s, as well as good things. Not really any better than today, just different. I had a decent enough childhood, though I grew up in not the best neighborhood. There were gypsies in our neighborhood and an abortionist lived a few blocks away. People knew but I guess didn't turn him in. I walked home from high school every day for four years, and each of those days walked by the house of two brothers who it was later learned had murdered a couple of teenagers who had parked in our town's lover's lane. Good times. Well, as good as they are today, but not necessarily better. I can hardly imagine what it was like to watch TV without a remote control, but we did.

I totally agree! The surface was awesome; the subsurface was not.

Women were relegated to low paying subservient jobs, except for nursing and teaching, which were not so subservient but were low paying.

I take back everything I said. The 50s kicked ass. :eusa_shifty:
I just don't know what to do with you. You're a pill. (That's something my mother said a lot during the 50s.)

The 50s may have been great but IMO the 80s were better. Thank you Mr. Reagan for giving us a taste of what it would be like to promote liberty in this country.

Women were relegated to low paying subservient jobs, except for nursing and teaching, which were not so subservient but were low paying.

I take back everything I said. The 50s kicked ass. :eusa_shifty:
I just don't know what to do with you. You're a pill. (That's something my mother said a lot during the 50s.)

Ha! So did mine. My dad always told us to "pipe down". lol
I remember when we asked our dad where are we going or where was he going, he'd say 'crazy if I don't mind my ways.' BTW He was a Pearl Harbor survivor.

For my parents and for my dad in particular, the 50's and 60's were da bomb. He was in the Army Air Force but the war ended before he even got out of boot camp. He hated the army. Know why? Cause he didn't like anyone telling him what to do. Ha! He was the captain of telling others what to do.

Anyway, he went from box boy to president of the company he worked for, his life was the quintessential "American Dream".

I don't remember the 50's, before my time. Like all eras, I'm sure there were parts that were much better than today and parts that were much worse.

Forum List

Back