The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit (says T shirt)

Permit requirements are perfectly Constitutional and consistent with the Second Amendment.

If your jurisdiction requires a permit to possess or carry a gun, and you’re detained with a gun without a permit, you’re likely headed for jail – and saying something stupid, ignorant, and wrong such as “the Second Amendment is my ‘permit’” won’t do you any good.
If they're unattainable, they aren't.

Keep your finger OFF the trigger, you can't have an ND. Only anti-gunners believe that guns miraculously go off on their own.

It doesn't take a great deal of training to realize that.
It is not as simple as that.

Gun don't go off on their own but people make mistakes because they don't have the discipline, muscle memory or experience to safely handle a weapon with a three or four pound trigger, especially when the adrenaline starts flowing.

After many decades of shooting, training and instructing I don't think that most shooters are disciplined enough to safely handle a pistol without a safety on it. They may think they are but they really aren't.

To me as an experienced shooter is that the trade off of the split second to engage the safety vs the danger of not having the safety is pretty much a no brainer.

However, to each its own. Not worth arguing over.

Yes, it is truly as simple as that.

If you don't pull the trigger, the gun will not go off.

It has no mind of its own.
Striker guns don't safely fit every carry application and they require expert level experience with striker guns for your logic to apply. My EDC has a 12 lbs trigger on double action. I'm not going to accidentally pull the trigger. While I have tons of firearms experience, I have very little experience with striker guns, which is why I stick with hammer guns.

Striker guns don't safely fit every carry application and they require expert level experience with striker guns for your logic to apply. My EDC has a 12 lbs trigger on double action. I'm not going to accidentally pull the trigger. While I have tons of firearms experience, I have very little experience with striker guns, which is why I stick with hammer guns.

I've carried an M&P .40 cal every working day for the past 7 years. Before that, I shot single-action revolvers as well as other striker action SAPs. With the single-action, they were old-school, no transfer bar, so I never carried a round under the hammer.

With the M&P, I always carry, in a retention holster, in Condition 0. In the literally thousands of times I have drawn from the holster, I have never come close to pulling the trigger. Whether I'm drawing to unload, or drawing up on threat, my finger is nowhere near the trigger. It rest on the frame on the right side of the weapon, until I intend to shoot.

In my department, I'm aware of only two NDs in the past 7 years. Both where a person actually put his finger into a gap in the holster and pulled the trigger. Lesson, keep your fingers out of the holster, no matter how bored you are.

I don't consider myself to be an expert-level user. I receive bi-annual qualification training which consists mostly of clearance drills and hitting a very large target from close range. Every once in a while, the training will simulate firing from cover, firing in low-light (using tac light) or a hostage situation. I am a mediocre shot. Not a competition level shooter by any means.

I'm not sure why people insist that if a firearm is locked and cocked, it will fire without pulling the trigger. It cannot.

If hundreds, and hundreds of those whom you’ve instructed, have gone on to accidentally shoot themselves; you owe some folks refunds…

The best instruction:

1663844556951.png

Our city's police academy trains thousands of recruits and sworn officers per year in firearms. Not a single one has ever shot their eye out.

I suspect your training methodology is in desperate need of review.
You would be surprised at how many "trained" police officers don't really know how to shoot their service weapon. They may get by the yearly qualification but they really don't have the skills necessary to be effective with their firearm. Occasionally you hear about NDs.

Most officers and deputies go their entire career with never shooting their weapons except for qualifications.

I've never trained police on pistols but a few years ago I had a contract to train Sheriff's Deputies on using an AR-15. They had to take the class before being allowed to use the AR as a service weapon. There were a few exceptions with the military veterans but most of them were not very effective with ARs.

I've never trained police on pistols but a few years ago I had a contract to train Sheriff's Deputies on using an AR-15.

Yeah ... I'm gonna need a judge ruling on that one.

tumblr_93ec931ccc59643ea601ac29e2449e09_e91cbd7b_400.gif

Most Sheriff's departments have their own academies and use their own staff for training (which is quite different from civilian training). Those small counties will use the facilities of larger counties for training.

There is a lot more to police firearm training than just learning how to handle the weapon. There are departmental policies and procedures that need to be taught as well. No civilian instructor would be knowledgeable in those areas.

You would be surprised at how many "trained" police officers don't really know how to shoot their service weapon. They may get by the yearly qualification but they really don't have the skills necessary to be effective with their firearm. Occasionally you hear about NDs.

Most officers and deputies go their entire career with never shooting their weapons except for qualifications.

I've never trained police on pistols but a few years ago I had a contract to train Sheriff's Deputies on using an AR-15. They had to take the class before being allowed to use the AR as a service weapon. There were a few exceptions with the military veterans but most of them were not very effective with ARs.
Police Captain friend of my husband confirmed this. Frustrated him to no end.

Yeah ... I'm gonna need a judge ruling on that one.

View attachment 699746

Most Sheriff's departments have their own academies and use their own staff for training (which is quite different from civilian training). Those small counties will use the facilities of larger counties for training.

There is a lot more to police firearm training than just learning how to handle the weapon. There are departmental policies and procedures that need to be taught as well. No civilian instructor would be knowledgeable in those areas.
You don't know what you are talking about. A lot of Sheriff and police departments in the US contract out training.

In the case of the contract I had we were familiarizing and qualifying deputies on using an AR. It was a two year contract. This was a few years ago (2006-2007). Nowadays they do the training in house but back then they contracted it out.

You don't know what you are talking about. A lot of Sheriff and police departments in the US contract out training.

In the case of the contract I had we were familiarizing and qualifying deputies on using an AR. It was a two year contract. This was a few years ago. Nowadays they do the training in house but back then they contracted it out.

Uh huh.

I am a range officer and firearms instructor. Do you know how many times I've heard that and then had to go visit the guy in hospital after shooting himself? Hundreds and hundreds.

(kidding aside) All my carry pistols have a safety. I am firm believer in them.

I'll trade the split second to flip a safety for the added safety in carrying.
I've been carrying a Glock for 30 years and never had a problem.

Permit requirements are perfectly Constitutional and consistent with the Second Amendment.

If your jurisdiction requires a permit to possess or carry a gun, and you’re detained with a gun without a permit, you’re likely headed for jail – and saying something stupid, ignorant, and wrong such as “the Second Amendment is my ‘permit’” won’t do you any good.
Not really since they involve paying fees.

You wouldn't accept having to pay a fee to vote would you?

Glock-hater. :laughing0301:

My first carry was a Ruger P89, the one with the decocker/safety lever on it. But the problem was the decocker could get caught in my shirt, resulting in nothing but a "click" when I pulled the trigger. My last County Sheriff actually carried one of those when he was just a deputy, but switched to a compact 1911 when he was elected Sheriff.

I just like the Glocks. They're fool-proof, unless you don't observe trigger discipline. I'm inclined to believe that people who have accidents with them, get a piece of clothing snagged in the trigger guard. That's the thing you particularly have to watch for. Same with any other plunger-fired pistol with the safety on the trigger. But then, there's no reason why anyone should have to unholster and reholster a loaded pistol on a daily basis. As long as it's in a decent holster and the person's aware of what his fingers are doing, nobody should ever have a negligent discharge with a Glock.
I've carried a Glock for 30 years and never had any safety issues.

I've carried an M&P .40 cal every working day for the past 7 years. Before that, I shot single-action revolvers as well as other striker action SAPs. With the single-action, they were old-school, no transfer bar, so I never carried a round under the hammer.

With the M&P, I always carry, in a retention holster, in Condition 0. In the literally thousands of times I have drawn from the holster, I have never come close to pulling the trigger. Whether I'm drawing to unload, or drawing up on threat, my finger is nowhere near the trigger. It rest on the frame on the right side of the weapon, until I intend to shoot.

In my department, I'm aware of only two NDs in the past 7 years. Both where a person actually put his finger into a gap in the holster and pulled the trigger. Lesson, keep your fingers out of the holster, no matter how bored you are.

I don't consider myself to be an expert-level user. I receive bi-annual qualification training which consists mostly of clearance drills and hitting a very large target from close range. Every once in a while, the training will simulate firing from cover, firing in low-light (using tac light) or a hostage situation. I am a mediocre shot. Not a competition level shooter by any means.

I'm not sure why people insist that if a firearm is locked and cocked, it will fire without pulling the trigger. It cannot.
When I say "expert" I'm referring to someone with a lot of experience handling that type of handgun.

Buying a T shirt and a copy of the Constitution ain't going to secure your 2nd Amendment rights or 1st Amendment for that matter. You need to work at the grass roots level and vote.
Fuck that.

You need to go down to the corner with a hundred dollar bill, that's all

Forum List

Back