The absurdity of the Jesus "Myth"

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
Some very unhappy people have been spouting the "idea" (to even call it an idea is an overreach) that Jesus was a "myth" invented by later century Romans to placate people who were already devout followers of Jesus Christ. Yeah, I know, it makes less than no sense on the face of it. The Romans invented a Myth, about a guy whose followers were slaughtered by Nero for fun in 66AD and who also were spared the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD because they followed the advise of this mythical Jesus and ran for the hill as soon as they saw the Roman standards on the horizon, leaving behind everything so as not to waste a single second.

“Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

“Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

“Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.” (Matt. 24:15–18.)

There is no doubt that the Jerusalem Christian community fled to Pella in 70AD and were spared the destruction of Jerusalem under Titus

But go down a level. If the Romans were going to invent a leader to follow and claim he rose from the death with no basic in fact, why not say Julius Caesar came back from the dead? Why take some obscure carpenters son and elevate him to such a lofty "myth"?

Does the Jesus "Myth" make sense to anyone at all?

When people spout it, I can hear them really say, "Yes I'm a very unhappy, tortured soul and can't find peace in this life so I must try to destroy the joy and peace of others"

Some very unhappy people have been spouting the "idea" (to even call it an idea is an overreach) that Jesus was a "myth" invented by later century Romans to placate people who were already devout followers of Jesus Christ. Yeah, I know, it makes less than no sense on the face of it. The Romans invented a Myth, about a guy whose followers were slaughtered by Nero for fun in 66AD and who also were spared the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD because they followed the advise of this mythical Jesus and ran for the hill as soon as they saw the Roman standards on the horizon, leaving behind everything so as not to waste a single second.

“Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

“Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.” (Matt. 24:15–18.)

There is no doubt that the Jerusalem Christian community fled to Pella in 70AD and were spared the destruction of Jerusalem under Titus

But go down a level. If the Romans were going to invent a leader to follow and claim he rose from the death with no basic in fact, why not say Julius Caesar came back from the dead? Why take some obscure carpenters son and elevate him to such a lofty "myth"?

When people spout it, I can hear them really say, "Yes I'm a very unhappy, tortured soul and can't find peace in this life so I must try to destroy the joy and peace of others"

More absurd when you take a few steps back and view Christianity as just one rleiigon among many, Jesus one 'religious figure' among many. Not like the whole virgin birth saviour idea began with him. Is identical in about a dozen other major religions.

who is starting this "myth"

BTW- : I believe that "organized" religion, like xstianity, is a tool to control the people who aren't "in the club" i

Crusader the Absurdity is your refusal to study history and the Hebrew language in order to be educated enough to make comments on the subject requiring both.
Funny you keep mentioning an Ad era christ yet the only AD era Christ at that time was Theudas by the Jordan.
Notice you've yet to share with us who your historical christ is, becsuse that figure will never fit yoyr timeline 9r full accounts of your converged figure.
Once again, they use historical figures to make it seem historical and real, that's what propaganda and myths do.
This is why the figure has more then one hometown, more then one profession, more then 1 blame, more then one execution method, spans many eras mixing historicsl figures tgat don't fit the era, needed a new name and borrowed new sun god birthdate.
For crying out loud Crusader it's your religion that teaches Rome would do this in our day simply because you can't read John of Oatmos saud it was occuring in his day. LUKE and James and other verses along with the events of the era show the events mentioned in Rev were in 70ad.
I'll give you the verses if you need them, but when have you ever taken the time to research anything?

There was probably a real Jesus, but much in the NT is myth. Gospels and other books and letter contradict each other.
The church also made up dates for the birth and death of Jesus. At least the pope will change the date of easter. As for the birth, the church originally gave Jesus the birthday of a pagan god, whose story has many parallels to the stories of Jesus. No way that he was actually born in december. They messed up on the year as well.

The old shell game has been around a very long time... The idea is to find the pea under the shell by the one who wants to receive a reward.... The other one who controls the pea and the shell uses a sleight of hand to make sure that the one quessing where the pea is gets some reward some time but most of the time does not thus the one controlling the game ultimately gets most of the money.... Why does this game work so well... The reason is because it appeals to human nature... The one trying to find the pea is enticed by a number of human emotions to continue the game even though he knows at the beginning he is being scamed... The same is true of the jesus myth... There is a small kernal of truth to the story that entices and forces the pne being scammed to continue searching for the truth he hates this and knows it is contrives but if only it is true he screams in his thinking then i will get the reward....i will find the pea....i will be saved....i will get my reward.....

Jesus actually existed.

However...................many of the stories about Him aren't quite right. And yes, Rome DID co-opt the religion of the Hebrews, and changed many of the events to coincide with what the pagans believe.

Which is why Christmas and Easter are when they are (instead of the actual dates, because Jesus was taken in during Passover, and the dates with Passover and Easter clash on a regular basis.

Oh man, how Many ways can you explain something till it sinks in thick skulls?
Let me use another analogy:
Larry David writes a Tv Pilot for Jerry Seinfeld, now Jerry in the TV show is loosely based on the real Jerry but since Larry David's sense of humor is in the comedic irony it's also Larry David making the Jerry image in the stories /scripts.
Now one could argue Jerry exists, but he's not the King of comedy without Larry David nor is TV Jerry an actual person. That could he argued.
Same with Kramer being based mostly on a friend of Larry David, but once again the TV Kramer is not special without Larry David.
HOWEVER here's where you guys mess up your logic; suppose you have George based on former comedic Tv and movie fictional Figures mixed with the quirks and stories of a few real figures like Gregory, GEOFFRY, AND Harry. These converged figures can't have their real names like Kramer and Jerry have, so they get a new name, new birthdate as well.
They have 3 jobs so the character needs his own new job or has all 3 jobs through the seasonsas he get's fired from each one. *L* Even George owes his image to the writer Larry David for even though George is written to he Italian, he shows the traits of the Jewish writer.
So now is George real, did George Castanza exist as a singular historical person?
If you said yes then go sit on santa clauses lap- and here's your sign that says "I RIDE THE SHORT BUS"

Oh man, how Many ways can you explain something till it sinks in thick skulls?
Let me use another analogy:
Larry David writes a Tv Pilot for Jerry Seinfeld, now Jerry in the TV show is loosely based on the real Jerry but since Larry David's sense of humor is in the comedic irony it's also Larry David making the Jerry image in the stories /scripts.
Now one could argue Jerry exists, but he's not the King of comedy without Larry David nor is TV Jerry an actual person. That could he argued.
Same with Kramer being based mostly on a friend of Larry David, but once again the TV Kramer is not special without Larry David.
HOWEVER here's where you guys mess up your logic; suppose you have George based on former comedic Tv and movie fictional Figures mixed with the quirks and stories of a few real figures like Gregory, GEOFFRY, AND Harry. These converged figures can't have their real names like Kramer and Jerry have, so they get a new name, new birthdate as well.
They have 3 jobs so the character needs his own new job or has all 3 jobs through the seasonsas he get's fired from each one. *L* Even George owes his image to the writer Larry David for even though George is written to he Italian, he shows the traits of the Jewish writer.
So now is George real, did George Castanza exist as a singular historical person?
If you said yes then go sit on santa clauses lap- and here's your sign that says "I RIDE THE SHORT BUS"

Forum List

Back