The Age of Corporate Treason

I'm not a computer, I don't delete things.
But certain ideas and concepts can be eliminated from our consciousness or modified via the process of indoctrination which the American consciousness has been subjected to with increasing intensity for quite some time. And I'm not suggesting this has been entirely the result of an insidious plot, because no one anticipated the kind of phenomenal wealth the U.S. Economy was capable of generating, not even those who were generating it. It came about rather overwhelmingly and many Americans simply were caught up in it and it has since developed into a mass obsession -- a cultural pathology with an extremely divisive side effect.

Would you deny that money has evolved as a veritable religion in our Country?

Money is merely a means to an end. Humans have been striving to better their lives since the beginning. You can call that a religion or greed if you want, but it's simple common sense really.
While you're quite right about the universal ambition of Man, presenting the concept in those terms poses an open philosophical question. One place to look for an answer is in Abraham Maslow's, Hierarchy of Human Needs, in which the difference between rational aspiration (ambition) and irrational craving (greed) is examined.

Rather than embark on a redundantly academic exchange I'll simply say anything we manage to acquire beyond that which is necessary to adequately sustain and protect our physical organism is categorical luxury. So in keeping with your correct observation that money is merely a means to an end, the open question is where is the rational end? How much, within the boundaries of reason, is enough?

But certain ideas and concepts can be eliminated from our consciousness or modified via the process of indoctrination which the American consciousness has been subjected to with increasing intensity for quite some time. And I'm not suggesting this has been entirely the result of an insidious plot, because no one anticipated the kind of phenomenal wealth the U.S. Economy was capable of generating, not even those who were generating it. It came about rather overwhelmingly and many Americans simply were caught up in it and it has since developed into a mass obsession -- a cultural pathology with an extremely divisive side effect.

Money is merely a means to an end. Humans have been striving to better their lives since the beginning. You can call that a religion or greed if you want, but it's simple common sense really.
While you're quite right about the universal ambition of Man, presenting the concept in those terms poses an open philosophical question. One place to look for an answer is in Abraham Maslow's, Hierarchy of Human Needs, in which the difference between rational aspiration (ambition) and irrational craving (greed) is examined.

Rather than embark on a redundantly academic exchange I'll simply say anything we manage to acquire beyond that which is necessary to adequately sustain and protect our physical organism is categorical luxury. So in keeping with your correct observation that money is merely a means to an end, the open question is where is the rational end? How much, within the boundaries of reason, is enough?

There is no such thing as "enough," because the answer can only be subjective. Is enough to live a comfortable life of leisure "enough?" Or is having to work hard your entire life but having a nice retirement "enough?" Maybe that's too extravagant, however. Maybe it would be "enough" if we all had to work until we drop.

So the simple answer is that there is no "enough." Simply use your labor, talent, ambition, etc... to get as much as you can for as long as you can. That's the only rational end.

There is no such thing as "enough," because the answer can only be subjective. Is enough to live a comfortable life of leisure "enough?" Or is having to work hard your entire life but having a nice retirement "enough?" Maybe that's too extravagant, however. Maybe it would be "enough" if we all had to work until we drop.

So the simple answer is that there is no "enough." Simply use your labor, talent, ambition, etc... to get as much as you can for as long as you can. That's the only rational end.

I'm satisfied with what worldly goods I have. Some people's greed causes them to stress out trying to gain more.

I guess I'll always be a hippie.

I'm satisfied with what worldly goods I have. Some people's greed causes them to stress out trying to gain more.

I bet there are people out there who would call you greedy.

Out of curiosity, why?

How much joy is enough? How much happiness is enough? How much charity is enough?

Who can be the judge of how much money is enough? Besides, that is not the determining factor in the distinction between ambition and greed. The mind set makes the difference, not the amount of money acquired. To many very wealthy men and women, money ceases to have value beyond keeping score. It would be hard to claim they are greedy.

Out of curiosity, why?

I'm not calling you greedy. I'm merely saying that there is somebody out there who would. Mostly I'm just banking on the probability, but the point is that the term is ridiculously subjective.

For example, the car I have right now works perfectly. There are no problems with it whatsoever, aside from the fact that it's old. I'd like to get a newer car. Am I greedy?

Out of curiosity, why?

I'm not calling you greedy. I'm merely saying that there is somebody out there who would. Mostly I'm just banking on the probability, but the point is that the term is ridiculously subjective.

For example, the car I have right now works perfectly. There are no problems with it whatsoever, aside from the fact that it's old. I'd like to get a newer car. Am I greedy?

I would call a person greedy who exploits weaker or less fortunate people.

I would not consider a carpenter who drives hundreds of pounds of 16 penny nails to make money, greedy, for example.

Out of curiosity, why?

I would not consider a carpenter who drives hundreds of pounds of 16 penny nails to make money, greedy, for example.

Exploit is another term that essentially means nothing.

Actually it has two different meanings. Picky, picky, picky.

Actually it has two different meanings. Picky, picky, picky.

In the context you're using it it can be defined as: Two or more parties coming together in a mutually beneficial exchange with which I, not being a party to the exchange, disagree.

That you have deemed harmful to this country, you mean.
No, things that actually do harm to average Americans. Like corporations not paying their fair share in taxes; that puts the burden on the middle class and people suffer because of it. That's harm!

People who support BP and argued against fining those basturds for the gulf oil spill are traitors to this country. What BP did to fishing in the gulf, harmed this country.

People who vote for right (or left) wing corporate whores are traitors to this country. Because of them, we've lost our representation in government. And that is harmful to this country.

If you penalize something you get less of it. That's the idea behind speeding tickets and other things. If you tax profits, you get less of them. If you tax capital gains, you get less of them.
Not for me. I don't get less of that! I don't make any money from capital gains and I don't own any stock. But what I don't like, is them paying a 15% tax rate when I'm paying 25%. I don't want anyone paying a lesser rate than me.

Since those things provide the seed for future growth, why would you want less of that?
That's just a bullshit myth!

Corporations are sitting on a record $6 trillion in profits and there are still no jobs!

70% of the economy comes from consumer spending, not corporate investing.

I realize in your mind you want to "stick it to da Man." BUt that's not how life or economics works. Thus my comment about your ignorance.
You're free to think whatever you want to about me, I don't really give a shit.

It seems to me what you are is a psychologically healthy human being who probably is capable of raising equally healthy children.

I really would be interested in knowing why you believe that. Why would anyone call this person greedy?

How much joy is enough? How much happiness is enough? How much charity is enough?

Who can be the judge of how much money is enough?[...]
You can be the judge of how much money is enough to satisfy you -- and in doing so to determine whether or not you are gluttonous. So think it over and give us a number. And to make it even more interesting, tell us how you arrived at that number.

Forum List

Back