The big question about life on other planets: 1000000000000000000000 planets in the universe

You are actually claiming in your own dumb way that everything everywhere must be like earth

Tell us what info do you base this on?

Fran, Honey, you have NO IDEA what I am claiming! Just take a pill and go sit down while you are still ahead.
Then tell us why is Carbon a must for all life including the speculative life from other planets.

This ought to be good, and add in do all other planets that have life need to also have Darwin's mythical pond?

Seriously you are too ignorant and childish to know that you are making unsubstantiated claims, stating them as facts with no basis in reality.

On the plus side, at least you know you are a freak

There is alway a chance that there is something we have not seen before here, yes, but from what I could see in the video I posted, silicon based molecules are more limited than carbon based ones and whereas carbon type molecules commonly form long chains and double bonds, silicon molecules are very limited.

Unless of course there are some exceptions to that somewhere in the universe

Put simply, carbon is one of the most universal, basic elements out there. Found in abundance, able to combine in limitless ways to form amino acids, proteins, hydrocarbons, complex organic chains, everything needed to form life. Silicon on the other hand is a much more complex metaloid, with vastly less ability to combine with other elements.

It's a case of carbon life being so naturally likely anywhere there is liquid water to almost be a certainty whereas with silicon, it is more a case of simply saying it is a hypothetically possibly which cannot be ruled out as having zero chance. Nature is a machine of the least path of resistance, it goes with what works based on suitability, adaptability and survivability and carbon offers far far more chances of hitting the numbers right. Life in space is almost certain, and it is nearly certain it will be carbon based. And as carbon based, its life will follow basic similarities and patterns to our own.

Since you do not know anything about alien life you are completely babbling

Really you are insane

I think we can all come up with hypothesis without being called insane. His is actually pretty logical when you are talking about probability. Should we completely abandon other ideas? No, its always good to consider other possibilities. Science and discovery doesnt really have to be about our egos you know.

Silicon based life forms is an intriguing thought though.
Yes, but where would all the carbon be, in such an environment? Like toobfreak said when he talks about "the path of least resistance", and what I talk about, when I say "selection"... how are you sidelining the carbon, in this environment? Why wouldn't it supplant the silicone, if not sidelined?

Right. I understand that, I was pretty much talking about controlled situations in that post. I mean, the possibility of hybrid life forms being created in the lab.

As far as natural selection goes, yes it makes sense that when both carbon and silicon are readily available that law would come into effect.

Fran, Honey, you have NO IDEA what I am claiming! Just take a pill and go sit down while you are still ahead.
Then tell us why is Carbon a must for all life including the speculative life from other planets.

This ought to be good, and add in do all other planets that have life need to also have Darwin's mythical pond?

Seriously you are too ignorant and childish to know that you are making unsubstantiated claims, stating them as facts with no basis in reality.

There is alway a chance that there is something we have not seen before here, yes, but from what I could see in the video I posted, silicon based molecules are more limited than carbon based ones and whereas carbon type molecules commonly form long chains and double bonds, silicon molecules are very limited.

Put simply, carbon is one of the most universal, basic elements out there. Found in abundance, able to combine in limitless ways to form amino acids, proteins, hydrocarbons, complex organic chains, everything needed to form life. Silicon on the other hand is a much more complex metaloid, with vastly less ability to combine with other elements.

It's a case of carbon life being so naturally likely anywhere there is liquid water to almost be a certainty whereas with silicon, it is more a case of simply saying it is a hypothetically possibly which cannot be ruled out as having zero chance. Nature is a machine of the least path of resistance, it goes with what works based on suitability, adaptability and survivability and carbon offers far far more chances of hitting the numbers right. Life in space is almost certain, and it is nearly certain it will be carbon based. And as carbon based, its life will follow basic similarities and patterns to our own.

Really you are insane

I think we can all come up with hypothesis without being called insane. His is actually pretty logical when you are talking about probability. Should we completely abandon other ideas? No, its always good to consider other possibilities. Science and discovery doesnt really have to be about our egos you know.

Nope, the fact is this clown knows everything about how life that is completely unknown in a galaxy far far away is made. This delusional belief is quite possibly based in schizophrenia. I dare this clown to describe his babbles to a shrink

Yes, but where would all the carbon be, in such an environment? Like toobfreak said when he talks about "the path of least resistance", and what I talk about, when I say "selection"... how are you sidelining the carbon, in this environment? Why wouldn't it supplant the silicone, if not sidelined?

Right. I understand that, I was pretty much talking about controlled situations in that post. I mean, the possibility of hybrid life forms being created in the lab.

As far as natural selection goes, yes it makes sense that when both carbon and silicon are readily available that law would come into effect.
Some life already uses LSD for blood

Agreed. And, really, liquid is a must, so that the trillions of interactions per second can happen and that must eventually occur for selection to operate on a system and create life.

Agreed. And, really, liquid is a must, so that the trillions of intereactions per second cam happen and that must occur for selection to operate on a system and create life.
LOL as if a bacteria has trillions of interactions per second

Take your pills

Not what was meant. I was referring to chemical interactions over the whole system, pre-life. And even if I were referring to bacteria, I would have been referring to the entire system, I.E.,all of earth, in the case of our bacteria on earth. And yes, all the bacteria on earth easily have trillions of interactions per second, all together. So you would still be wrong.

Agreed. And, really, liquid is a must, so that the trillions of interactions per second can happen and that must eventually occur for selection to operate on a system and create life.

And, I dont know if there is another liquid that we know of that is better than our H2-O , being an unstable molecule it breaks down other things through oxidation to the point that organisms can feed off them. As i understand it a sea of liquid methane for example couldn't support life because its a stable molecule.

And, I dont know if there is another liquid that we know of that is better than our H2-O , being an unstable molecule it breaks down other things through oxidation to the point that organisms can feed off them. As i understand it a sea of liquid methane for example couldn't support life because its a stable molecule.
Yep. Water is polar, while methane is not. Life in a liquid methane environment would be very different from that on earth. DNA is probably out of the picture. That's intriguing to scientists. All of them have this innate fear that they find life on Mars, and it is DNA based. "Fear" is overstating it, as they would still be thrilled with the discovery, but they understand this would greatly limit the number of questions answered by such a find.

So, to find non-DNA life in Titan's methane seas, for instance, would forever cement the idea that life exists and has existed uncountable times in the universe.

Really you are insane

Nope, the fact is this clown knows everything about how life that is completely unknown in a galaxy far far away is made. This delusional belief is quite possibly based in schizophrenia. I dare this clown to describe his babbles to a shrink

Well, surely the universe, being what it is,.... like we don't know the end of it if there even is one, probably no doubt contains things unknown to our science. What I really wonder is if there are other elements out there in another solar system that we are completely unaware of. Maybe our little corner of the universe doesn't contain every elemental material that there is. It might be possible there is a life form made of something other than carbon or silicon perhaps .... but what makes carbon so special is its ability to fit in place in so many varied combinations. I think that is what people are getting at here.

Really you are insane

Well, surely the universe, being what it is,.... like we don't know the end of it if there even is one, probably no doubt contains things unknown to our science. What I really wonder is if there are other elements out there in another solar system that we are completely unaware of. Maybe our little corner of the universe doesn't contain every elemental material that there is. It might be possible there is a life form made of something other than carbon or silicon perhaps .... but what makes carbon so special is its ability to fit in place in so many varied combinations. I think that is what people are getting at here.
We know there are places where our physics break down: black holes. Some mathematicians and physicists are trying to show it possoble ( maybe just for fun) that white holes happen (the inverse) and could possibly generate space with different laws of physics. They say it may be possible resolve this to our universe by saying the space diffuses into our spacetime, lessening the effect of the differing laws of physics.

There, of course, is no evidence of this. Its just mathematical wizardry, and still under construction. Give it a few years. White Holes will become a thing.

Agreed. The Earth is full of carbon and silicon. In fact, the crust is like 60% silica and rocks closer to 95%. In the 4.5 billion years, Earth has been hot, cold, wet, dry, frozen, methane rich atmosphere, CO2 rich, oxygen rich, short days, long days , high tides, low tides, no ocean, all ocean, so where is the silicon life? Why is there not even a single fossil of one?

Because it just doesn't naturally occur very easily, it is an unlikely event, meantime, carbon based life develops like a weed given the slightest chance at all. We are the crabgrass of life. :cool:

Not what was meant. I was referring to chemical interactions over the whole system, pre-life. And even if I were referring to bacteria, I would have been referring to the entire system, I.E.,all of earth, in the case of our bacteria on earth. And yes, all the bacteria on earth easily have trillions of interactions per second, all together. So you would still be wrong.
Bacteria is life, on the simple side, you have no clue what even constitutes life on Earth yet you clowns believe you know what the rest of the universe holds

Precious

Really you are insane

The Earth itself could have an inner core of an element too heavy to be anywhere except the center. This element could even be so heavy as to create the gravity that we feel, the Sun could have this element at it's core or an even heavier one. Point being that the Earth is still not fully explored, did Columbus tell the queen what the new world held before seeing it. Describing life unseen is silly

Let's say the dog is as smart as a human.

What else does the dog need in order to build a spaceship?

Please list the requirements.
Dude you do not know the requirements for alien technology

Stop babbling
What are the obvious requirements to build a spaceship?

Answer that first.
Depends upon the type of ship, your brain is automatically defaulting to what we consider a ship. Space travel could involve gravity bending and one might want non magnetic or even light elements. The speculations are endless. Now the ship you are envisioning made of steel can't actually get out of Earths gravity at a speed fast enough to take it anywhere out of this solar system in less than tens of thousands of years. So what we do know is that your steel ship is useless.

Now as for a superior race of jellyfish, the dumbest one still has more foresight than you do now. In fact these jellyfish could take over the minds of other creatures and have them build for them, much like the education system has taken over your mind so that you remain a poor servant

You will never see what you are

Really you are insane

We know there are places where our physics break down: black holes. Some mathematicians and physicists are trying to show it possoble ( maybe just for fun) that white holes happen (the inverse) and could possibly generate space with different laws of physics. They say it may be possible resolve this to our universe by saying the space diffuses into our spacetime, lessening the effect of the differing laws of physics.

There, of course, is no evidence of this. Its just mathematical wizardry, and still under construction. Give it a few years. White Holes will become a thing.

Physics never breaks down, the only thing that can break down is human understanding. It is impossible for the rules of matter to break down, the rules continue inside a black hole just in ambiguity

Omg that's so funny. The jellyfish, or whowever they enslave, has to have the bone structure and dexterity to mine and construct metal tools to build a spaceship, and create the fuel.

It's not going to be a jellyfish! Lol!

They're going to have bones, like us.
They're going to be big brained like us. They're going to be very similar to us in a humanoid way. For an alien capable of visiting us. Not an alien that we find elsewhere. One that arrives here.

This, according to some estimate, give or take quite a few zeroes I'm sure. A deeper philosophical question which goes beyond theology, though it certainly entangles it.

So, this number again, 1000000000000000000000 planets! According to The Institute of Astronomy at University of Cambridge. How many solar systems are there? | Institute of Astronomy

Putting the exact estimation aside. We would have to take a massive leap of faith to think that not only is there NOT other life in the universe, but, also of such existences, that there aren't many far more advanced than us.

Imagine a planet the size of Jupiter, 100's of billions of citizens. Imagine them not having our reptilian instincts of rage and violence, or developing weapons of war to be used against each other. Consider if they had the average brain power 250x that of our smartest humans, and existed for much longer, maybe lived on average 10000 years.

What would be the end result? Is there any religion that makes any consideration for this possibility (outside, I think Scientology)? It really is a daunting concept. We could be the most advanced by far, we might be Gods great creation. It would hardly seem we could be alone though based on the odds and even plain randomness.

yet we are obviously alone. Real scientists think so.

Dissolving the Fermi Paradox

The Drake equation is based on the Mediocrity Principle which is a philosophical construct rather than a scientific one. Take that away and it all falls apart.
Or don’t. In that case you have to explain why they aren’t here.

Forum List

Back