The Cappucino Corral

While y'all were watching feets-ball, we were up to our eyeballs in a dead refrigerator.

First, I have to confess, I have never watched a football game so its not big loss but damn, the last thing we needed is to have to deal with our frig. The final decision was that it made more sense to buy a new one rather than repairing the old one -- which isn't all that old, but whatcha ya gonna do?

Luckily, these days you can shop and buy on line so that's what we did. Otherwise, we would have had to drive to the big city and go store-hopping. We were able to give our debit card over the phone and it was delivered this morning.

Everything out of the old one, stacked on the counters, old one out, new one in and everything stacked in the new one. Sounds easy but we're beat.

Refrigerators cost about a gazillion dollars. Seems to me, if one spends that much money, it should be a lot more fun but again, whatcha gonna do?

I went through the same thing around a year ago. Came home after being gone for a couple weeks, and it wasn't running. God only knows how long it had been in that state, but fearing food poisoning, I threw just about everything out for the critters, and had a new one the next day. Oh, and the fridge had started again, in the interim, but I really didn't think I should take the chance of it doing it more than once.

Enjoy your new one. It's nice to start fresh!

When Katrina hit in New Orleans, needless to say everybody's power was knocked out for a long time, in New Orleans heat, which means 95 degrees every day. When we were finally allowed back into the city (in October, five weeks later, with power still out) we were all told, don't even open your refrigerator --- just seal the door and cart it outside and the city will pick it up. I don't know of anyone who did open one. Nobody even wanted to know. Everybody just junked 'em.

One wag spray-painted the outside of his, "DO NOT OPEN -- TOM BENSON INSIDE".
(Tom Benson -- the owner of the Saints and not a real popular guy).

Good grief, that's something I never heard covered on the news at the time, probably because they were overwhelmed with things to report, but wow! I bet the area really went through the tape, securing those refrigerators and freezers. Makes me shudder...:eek:

I landed with a group of other posters, and we've been posting in the basement here....The Badlands. I do venture out and read other threads, though, on occasion.

WARNING!!! GRAPHIC CONTENT!!! WARNING!!! AREA 51!!! WARNING!!!

alien-1.jpg

Glad I finally made it over here.......so many posts to read after being away all day.....

Just a funny:

A rookie police officer was out for his first ride in a cruiser with an experienced partner. A call came in telling them to disperse some people who were loitering.
The officers drove to the street and observed a small crowd standing on a corner. The rookie rolled down his window and said, “Let’s get off the corner people.”
A few glances, but no one moved, so he barked again, “Let’s get off that corner… NOW!” Intimidated, the group of people began to leave, casting puzzled stares in his direction.
Proud of his first official act, the young policeman turned to his partner and asked, “Well, how did I do?”
Pretty good,” chuckled the vet, “especially since this is a bus stop.”

Good morning friends! I hope everyone is having a great day thus far. I plan on going for a nice long run this afternoon now that my foot is feeling much better.

Does anybody have any fun plans this weekend? I am having a nice calm weekend that doesn't include guests spending the evening. (First time in two weeks) I also plan on heading to Phipps Conservatory to view the Orchid and Tropical Bonsai exhibit they currently have on display. I'll take pictures and post them here in few days.

Simple Garlic Confit
We Also Recommend

Triple Garlic Linguine

Garlic confit, a silky, spreadable condiment, relies on a French technique for gently poaching peeled whole cloves in oil or fat. The process caramelizes the cloves and concentrates their sweetness while infusing them with the oil or fat that renders them rich and creamy. Linton Hopkins of Restaurant Eugene in Atlanta taught us this simple method for making confit, perfect in dishes like garlicky skillet greens with ham. This recipe first appeared in our November 2014 issue with the story The Glories of Garlic.

Save Recipe
Print
Email
simple_garlic_confit_1000x1367.jpg
Enlarge Credit: Andre Baranowski
MAKES ABOUT 2½ CUPS

Ingredients
  • 2 cups canola oil, lard, or rendered chicken or duck fat
  • 1 cup garlic cloves, peeled
Instructions
Simmer oil, lard, or fat with garlic cloves in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-low; cook until garlic is tender, 35–40 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks

Simple Garlic Confit SAVEUR

We're making French bread and this ^^.

Except that we're not using near that much oil and its olive oil.

No werewolves or vampires around here !

Good morning friends! I hope everyone is having a great day thus far. I plan on going for a nice long run this afternoon now that my foot is feeling much better.

Does anybody have any fun plans this weekend? I am having a nice calm weekend that doesn't include guests spending the evening. (First time in two weeks) I also plan on heading to Phipps Conservatory to view the Orchid and Tropical Bonsai exhibit they currently have on display. I'll take pictures and post them here in few days.

Our Harley Club is having a fund-raiser social this weekend.....will probably spend the day there...:)

Simple Garlic Confit
We Also Recommend

Triple Garlic Linguine

Garlic confit, a silky, spreadable condiment, relies on a French technique for gently poaching peeled whole cloves in oil or fat. The process caramelizes the cloves and concentrates their sweetness while infusing them with the oil or fat that renders them rich and creamy. Linton Hopkins of Restaurant Eugene in Atlanta taught us this simple method for making confit, perfect in dishes like garlicky skillet greens with ham. This recipe first appeared in our November 2014 issue with the story The Glories of Garlic.

Save Recipe
Print
Email
MAKES ABOUT 2½ CUPS

Ingredients
Instructions
Simmer oil, lard, or fat with garlic cloves in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-low; cook until garlic is tender, 35–40 minutes. Let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks

I love garlic....roasted, on bread, in pasta sauce, mexican food, you name it, I've been vampire free for years.........:D

Simple Garlic Confit
We Also Recommend

Triple Garlic Linguine

Save Recipe
Print
Email
MAKES ABOUT 2½ CUPS

Ingredients
Instructions

I love garlic....roasted, on bread, in pasta sauce, mexican food, you name it, I've been vampire free for years.........:D

Vampire free = :thup:

Forum List

Back