The death on the cross

Abraham didn't walked in the blood during the covenant. Because God knew that man is weak on keeping their word. And so God had someone else to walk through it with Him. That will take on the punishment for those that couldn't keep His commands.

Matthew 27:31 After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.

John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

The cross is a pagan symbol. Jesus did not die on a cross.

Some Bible translations contradict themselves by saying in different verses that Jesus died on a tree or died on a cross.

Of course, Jesus died on only one death instrument. Bible study shows that the Greek words xylon and stauros and the Hebrew word ets are used in Scripture to describe the torture stake/pole that Jesus died on. The definitions of all three words overlap as stake/pole (upright). Paul quoted Deuteronomy 21:23 (Hebrew ets) at Galatians 3:13 (Greek xylon) in reference to this stake:

Galatians 3:13
New International Version
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole."

Deuteronomy 21:23
you must not leave the body hanging on the pole overnight. Be sure to bury it that same day, because anyone who is hung on a pole is under God's curse. You must not desecrate the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

Some Bible translations contradict themselves by saying in different verses that Jesus died on a tree or died on a cross.

Of course, Jesus died on only one death instrument. Bible study shows that the Greek words xylon and stauros and the Hebrew word ets are used in Scripture to describe the torture stake/pole that Jesus died on. The definitions of all three words overlap as stake/pole (upright). Paul quoted Deuteronomy 21:23 (Hebrew ets) at Galatians 3:13 (Greek xylon) in reference to this stake:

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole."

you must not leave the body hanging on the pole overnight. Be sure to bury it that same day, because anyone who is hung on a pole is under God's curse. You must not desecrate the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.
The Greek is xulŏn (xoo'-lon), wood or anything made of wood. Certainly Paul knew that crucifixion was not a method of execution in Israel when Deuteronomy was written, but obviously a tree and a cross were analogous.

Otherwise, that negates all the other references in the New Testament to the Cross.

15 minutes that will explain it all...

Joseph Prince is just another prosperity preacher. This video doesn't really say much.

Newtonian at least alluded to the death on the Cross. Jesus died on the Cross. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mt 27:46). Like David in his twenty-second Psalm, Jesus lost his connection to the tree of life. He called out not to his Father, but to God. He was a curse – not physically but spiritually, unless we say that God erred in His creation of nature. But then, as with David, the estrangement did not last. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” (Lk 23:46). Jesus temporarily became the curse of mankind, and once reconciled with the Father, he went to Him. On the Cross, he died and was resurrected. Spiritual life and death underscore the entire biblical narrative, not just the New Testament but also the Old.

When Christ was on the cross, He was covered with our sin. He was us when He asked why he was forsaken. We know that because we call our Father, God. Christ called Him, Abba. He experienced actual, not spiritual death.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

When Christ was on the cross, He was covered with our sin. He was us when He asked why he was forsaken. We know that because we call our Father, God. Christ called Him, Abba. He experienced actual, not spiritual death.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
On the Cross, he died in the flesh and in the spirit. His resurrection there was in the spirit. The spiritual death he suffered there was the death of Adam.

So poor Jesus has to die a horrible death nailed to a cross and the sinners of the time all get off scott free?

Doesn’t sound like His dad really thought that plan through.

The Greek is xulŏn (xoo'-lon), wood or anything made of wood. Certainly Paul knew that crucifixion was not a method of execution in Israel when Deuteronomy was written, but obviously a tree and a cross were analogous.

Otherwise, that negates all the other references in the New Testament to the Cross.

Yes, that does negate all the references to the cross in faulty translations. My favorite translation reads "stake" or "torture stake." As I noted NIV reads "pole" for Hebrew "ets" in Deuteronomy 21:23 and "pole" for Greek xylon/xulon.

I believe the apostle Paul was correct that Jesus as the Christ/Messiah fulfilled Deut.21:23.

The 3rd word is Greek stauros which has "upright stake" as its primary definition. For another source on the research involved, see:

Yes, that does negate all the references to the cross in faulty translations. My favorite translation reads "stake" or "torture stake." As I noted NIV reads "pole" for Hebrew "ets" in Deuteronomy 21:23 and "pole" for Greek xylon/xulon.

I believe the apostle Paul was correct that Jesus as the Christ/Messiah fulfilled Deut.21:23.

The 3rd word is Greek stauros which has "upright stake" as its primary definition. For another source on the research involved, see:

Staurŏs: stake or post, i.e. (spec.) a pole or cross (as an intrument of capital punishment). This was the Roman way. Crucifixion. Crosses.

With or without a crossbeam, it takes nothing away from the implications of Christ's death.

Joseph Prince is just another prosperity preacher. This video doesn't really say much.

Newtonian at least alluded to the death on the Cross. Jesus died on the Cross. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mt 27:46). Like David in his twenty-second Psalm, Jesus lost his connection to the tree of life. He called out not to his Father, but to God. He was a curse – not physically but spiritually, unless we say that God erred in His creation of nature. But then, as with David, the estrangement did not last. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” (Lk 23:46). Jesus temporarily became the curse of mankind, and once reconciled with the Father, he went to Him. On the Cross, he died and was resurrected. Spiritual life and death underscore the entire biblical narrative, not just the New Testament but also the Old.

All seriousness aside the cross is a stake. The specific kind of stake:

Mis - stake.

Seriously:

When I posted that the cross is a pagan symbol I was over-simplifying - there are many shapes of the cross used in worship - the Nazi cross is an example. The crux ansata is another example. The cross Constantine used is still another shape of cross. The worship of Tammuz involves still another type of cross.

The main point is that Jesus died for our sins. Some religions say this but they actually mean only Jesus' body died but that his soul lived on.

However, Jesus fulfilled the messianic prophecy in Isaiah 53:10,12 in that he poured out his soul unto death as a sin offering for atonement - compare Daniel 9:24-27, John 3:16.

Or, simply: Jesus died for our sins.

Mis - stake.

Seriously:

When I posted that the cross is a pagan symbol I was over-simplifying - there are many shapes of the cross used in worship - the Nazi cross is an example. The crux ansata is another example. The cross Constantine used is still another shape of cross. The worship of Tammuz involves still another type of cross.

The main point is that Jesus died for our sins. Some religions say this but they actually mean only Jesus' body died but that his soul lived on.

However, Jesus fulfilled the messianic prophecy in Isaiah 53:10,12 in that he poured out his soul unto death as a sin offering for atonement - compare Daniel 9:24-27, John 3:16.

Your bit about the Cross itself is just semantics, but otherwise you're making sense.

Life is in the spirit. Man became a living creature when God breathed into his nostrils (Gn 2:7). “It is the Spirit who gives life,” Jesus said. “The flesh is no help at all.” (Jn 6:63)

Genesis relates the story of man as a covenant creation. Man forsook God and broke the covenant. Jesus restored it on the Cross. His resurrection on the Cross was spiritual.

Where in the Bible does it say that while Christ hung on the cross that He died in the spirit because of Adam? In fact, where does it say that Adam died in the spirit? When did God turn His back on and forsake Adam and Eve?
The Bible says the opposite occurred. Not only did God not forsake Adam and Eve, God covered their sin immediately with the temporary blood of an animal and continued as their Father, and Father to their children. Where in the Bible does it say that God restored Adam's spirit?

Mr. Clean. Christ experienced what mankind would experience when sin separates us from God. Christ died for all of us, not just those of the time. The cross prevents the second death, an eternity without our Father. That was Satan's plan. God did an end around and used His pure blood to remove our sin thereby securing our place at our Father's table. God blindsided Satan, and thwarted his plan to destroy us all. And in doing so God was 100% just (paying the wages of sin by dying) and 100% merciful (forgiving us and remembering our sin no more.)
Christ is God in the flesh. They called Jesus Emanuel which means, "God with us."
1 Timothy 1:15
It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners,

Mis - stake.

Seriously:

Your bit about the Cross itself is just semantics, but otherwise you're making sense.

Life is in the spirit. Man became a living creature when God breathed into his nostrils (Gn 2:7). “It is the Spirit who gives life,” Jesus said. “The flesh is no help at all.” (Jn 6:63)

Genesis relates the story of man as a covenant creation. Man forsook God and broke the covenant. Jesus restored it on the Cross. His resurrection on the Cross was spiritual.

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ died once for all time for sins,+ a righteous person for unrighteous ones,+ in order to lead you to God.+ He was put to death in the flesh+ but made alive in the spirit.+

Mis - stake.

Seriously:

Which translation of John 6:63 reads "who" in reference to the spirit?

Some translations are here:

The original Greek reads estin (=is) to (=the).

Jesus is referring to words inspired by Holy Spirit (e.g. example "all Scripture" - 2 Timothy 3:16):

John 6:63
It is the spirit that is life-giving;+ the flesh is of no use at all. The sayings that I have spoken to YOU are* spirit+ and are life.+

There is a problem with quoting out of context. Operative phrase: "the sayings that I have spoken to you."

Mis - stake.

Seriously:

Which translation of John 6:63 reads "who" in reference to the spirit?

Some translations are here:

The original Greek reads estin (=is) to (=the).

Jesus is referring to words inspired by Holy Spirit (e.g. example "all Scripture" - 2 Timothy 3:16):

John 6:63
It is the spirit that is life-giving;+ the flesh is of no use at all. The sayings that I have spoken to YOU are* spirit+ and are life.+

There is a problem with quoting out of context. Operative phrase: "the sayings that I have spoken to you."

The ESV

Forum List

Back