The dreaded gay-wedding-cake saga ends: bakers must pay 135 K

Bowman lied by indicating she was there and witnessed the events, she didn't. Her complete statement in the link is hear-say. A second had account, written in the first person, and not even an accurate one.

Nobody lied. The excerpt from the link I provided was the letter that Laurel Bowman wrote. WorldWatcher linked to the actual official complaint that was provided and signed by Rachel Cryer, who was present at the time the discrimination occurred. There were no lies.

A letter to whom?

And she was not present when the mother was supposedly quoted bible verses.

To the Oregon DOJ. Jesus fucking Christ it was right in the link AND the portion I quoted. The letter she penned started the events. The actual official complaint, which said nothing about being called anything (worldwatcher linked to it), was filed by the individual actually denied the service. Nobody lied.

And the letter she (Bowman) penned was a lie, written in the first person indicating she was present for the events.

You may perceive that, but that's your interpretation. The letter was not the official filed complaint. That was filed by the individual that was directly discriminated against.

No interpretation involved on Bowman's letter if you can read and I've already made the detection between the two documents. Cryer included hearsay in her complaint on item 5. because she was not present, according to Bowman's letter, when the baker made those statements to her mother.

No they weren't fined, the couple was awarded $135,000 because they got their little feelings hurt.

They were awarded it because they were found to have been discriminated against.

So you bring up they were female and I'm playing word games, ok whatever.

Baker sells a cakes to males and females.

Baker refuses to sell cakes to males and males.

Baker refused to sell cakes to females and females.

It is the gender composition of the couple determining whether they will sell their generally offered products and services. You are to one that tried to make that statement (a failed one BTW) of material fact into "the owner didn't like females".

>>>>

Since gender had nothing to do with it, why did you bring it up?

Store sells a product to different-sex couples but refuses to sell the same product to same-sex couples. It is the gender composition which was the determining factor in the stores refusal to sell a product.

>>>

So now it's gender composition and not gender as you previously stated. OK.

A letter to whom?

To the Oregon DOJ. Jesus fucking Christ it was right in the link AND the portion I quoted. The letter she penned started the events. The actual official complaint, which said nothing about being called anything (worldwatcher linked to it), was filed by the individual actually denied the service. Nobody lied.

And the letter she (Bowman) penned was a lie, written in the first person indicating she was present for the events.
Had the compliant been entirely, word for word accurate, it wasn't, it wouldn't have mattered. The bakers broke the law. It was investigated, The whole truth came out and they were fined. Nothing unfair happened here except in your mind that this law is unfair. Why must you continue to whine about the trees and ignore the forest?

No they weren't fined, the couple was awarded $135,000 because they got their little feelings hurt.

They were awarded it because they were found to have been discriminated against.

How could Bowman be discriminated against when she wasn't there? Yet they gave her $60,000 and she got a free cake.

No "so now" business, I clearly said from the beginning of this exchange that it was the couple.

What I said was:
"RBC, CM and AK were physically present, LBC is involved because her gender was the basis of being denied equal service. If RBC and LBC were male and female, then service would have been rendered and they (as a couple) wold be ordering the cake. Since RBC and LBC were female, service was denied."​

I never said, nor implied that AK refused service to female individuals, I clearly said it was based on LBC and RBC being a female couple.

>>>>

How could Bowman be discriminated against when she wasn't there? Yet they gave her $60,000 and she got a free cake.

She was award as part of being the couple that was discriminated against. (Personally I think $60K was high though).

And the State did not mandate that the couple get a free cake, the Kliens have not made a cake for the Bowman-Cryers.

>>>>

Had the compliant been entirely, word for word accurate, it wasn't, it wouldn't have mattered. The bakers broke the law. It was investigated, The whole truth came out and they were fined. Nothing unfair happened here except in your mind that this law is unfair. Why must you continue to whine about the trees and ignore the forest?

Just like a Christian was awarded $325,000 for religious discrimination

The BOLI Final Order awards $60,000 in damages to Laurel Bowman-Cryer and $75,000 in damages to Rachel Bowman-Cryer for emotional suffering stemming directly from unlawful discrimination. The amounts are damages related to the harm suffered by the Complainants, not fines or civil penalties which are punitive in nature.

The Final Order notes that the non-economic damages are consistent with the agency’s previous orders, such as an earlier ruling against a Bend dentist In the Matter of Andrew W. Engle. In that case, BOLI awarded a Christian employee $325,000 in damages for physical, mental and emotion suffering due to religious discrimination and harassment.

What damages did Bowman suffer, hell she wound up getting a free cake and wasn't present for the supposed discrimination.

Since I didn't hear the case- how would I know?

This case is no different from the other cases of business's discriminating based upon religion or sexual orientation.

Thank you- you are correct.

And according to the complaint- the Bakery says it refuses to sell wedding cakes to same sex couples- and there is no qualification that includes service.

It's all part of the package. This is no different than the photographer that refused to photograph a same sex wedding, they can't do it from their studio.
And another example of the SC refusing to undo PA laws. She took it in the shorts as well, for breaking the law.

Yep, got to have that nanny state to force people to associate with others they would prefer not to. How many guys have you sued because they wouldn't go out on a date, just because they didn't want to?
PA laws force bigots to treat protected classes fairly. I can't as it bothers me that such a thing bothers you. That's the law and you'll just have to grow up and deal with it.

Or get the laws changed.

Absolutely- you can petition Oregon to change its state law- that is a valid way to allow business's to discriminate against homosexuals or Christians without fear of legal repercussions.

She was the second half of the couple discriminated against. Nobody got a free cake. You actually know nothing about this case do you?

Nobody lied. The excerpt from the link I provided was the letter that Laurel Bowman wrote. WorldWatcher linked to the actual official complaint that was provided and signed by Rachel Cryer, who was present at the time the discrimination occurred. There were no lies.

A letter to whom?

And where did she indicate that she was present when the Baker cited a religious belief?
View attachment 45379

I'm sorry you can't keep up, Bowman wrote the LETTER, Cryer filed the COMPLAINT which was constructed by a lawyer. Bowman claimed in her letter that Cryer left the bakery when the baker stated they didn't do cakes for SSM's. The religious statements, according to Bowman's LETTER, occurred when Cryer's mother returned to talk to Klein, neither Bowman or Cryer were present at that time.

No- I really can't keep up with your whining.

Feel free to provide the quote where you claim she is lying.

So far all I have seen is you whining.

No "so now" business, I clearly said from the beginning of this exchange that it was the couple.

What I said was:
"RBC, CM and AK were physically present, LBC is involved because her gender was the basis of being denied equal service. If RBC and LBC were male and female, then service would have been rendered and they (as a couple) wold be ordering the cake. Since RBC and LBC were female, service was denied."​

I never said, nor implied that AK refused service to female individuals, I clearly said it was based on LBC and RBC being a female couple.

>>>>

Rights belong to individuals, not groups.

What I said was:

>>>>

Supreme Court rulings disagree. Federal Public Accommodation laws have withstood constitutional scrutiny.

She was the second half of the couple discriminated against. Nobody got a free cake. You actually know nothing about this case do you?

I read somewhere in this thread that some TV baking show gave them a cake, was that wrong? And as I said, only individuals have rights, if discrimination occurred it would only have been against Cryer, Bowman wasn't there.

A letter to whom?

And where did she indicate that she was present when the Baker cited a religious belief?
View attachment 45379

I'm sorry you can't keep up, Bowman wrote the LETTER, Cryer filed the COMPLAINT which was constructed by a lawyer. Bowman claimed in her letter that Cryer left the bakery when the baker stated they didn't do cakes for SSM's. The religious statements, according to Bowman's LETTER, occurred when Cryer's mother returned to talk to Klein, neither Bowman or Cryer were present at that time.

Go back and read Bowman's letter keeping in mind she wasn't there. I'm not going to repost it.

What I said was:

>>>>

Supreme Court rulings disagree. Federal Public Accommodation laws have withstood constitutional scrutiny.

Link? Show me a case where there were multiple plaintiffs, claiming rights as a group.

It was only Cryer in this case, yet they gave Bowman an award when her name is found nowhere on the complaint as a plaintiff.

Last edited:

View attachment 45379

Go back and read Bowman's letter keeping in mind she wasn't there. I'm not going to repost it.

In other words you can't find an actual quote.

View attachment 45379

From post # 2567, the letter penned by Bowman:

(my bolds)

"In november of 2011 my fiancé and I purchased a wedding cake from this establishment for her mother's wedding. We spent 250. When we decided to get married ourselves chose to back and purchase a second cake. Today, January 17, 2013, we went for our cake tasting. When asked for a grooms name my soon to be mother in law informed them of my name. The owner then proceeded to say we were abominations unto the lord and refused to make another cake for us despite having already paid 250 once and having done business in the past. We were then informed that our money was not equal, my fiancé reduced to tears. This is absolutely unacceptable."

Now tell me she didn't lie? "We" meaning Bowman and Cryer didn't go to their cake tasting, Cryer and her mother did, Bowman was NOT THERE!

Duh, you are that stupid. 2 individuals make a couple moron.

In one case a couple may enter, in the other they may not.

Got it yet heterophobe?

Why are you so afraid of straight people?
Do you think repeating your idiocy is going to make it lucid? A locker room does not provide services for couples. It provides showers, lockers, bathrooms, etc ... for individuals.

I can't help that you're too retarded to understand that a marriage is a service for couples but a locker room isn't. That's where your idiotic argument remains an idiotic argument. :cuckoo: Repeating it does not help you.

And an individual that is similarly situated to others in that room is barred from it.

Sounds like Jim Crow all over again, unless you can come up with the remarkable difference between a lesbian and a married male.

Can you?
Already answered that one. No need to repeat it.

Oh, and an individual is still not a couple. Have you figured that out yet?

Doesn't the straight couple deserve the same accomodations as the gay couple?

After all, this is about love and the want for couples to be together.

Ahhhhh, now don't that just break your poor wittle heart?

Pop's meltdown continues......I wonder how many years he will mourn gay couples being able to marry?

images

I do feel sorry for you.

Time will tell I guess.

So Syriuosly, been able to come up with the remarkable difference between a Married Lesbian and a Married straight Male yet?

View attachment 45379

(my bolds)

"In november of 2011 my fiancé and I purchased a wedding cake from this establishment for her mother's wedding. We spent 250. When we decided to get married ourselves chose to back and purchase a second cake. Today, January 17, 2013, we went for our cake tasting. When asked for a grooms name my soon to be mother in law informed them of my name. The owner then proceeded to say we were abominations unto the lord and refused to make another cake for us despite having already paid 250 once and having done business in the past. We were then informed that our money was not equal, my fiancé reduced to tears. This is absolutely unacceptable."

Now tell me she didn't lie? "We" meaning Bowman and Cryer didn't go to their cake tasting, Cryer and her mother did, Bowman was NOT THERE!

You realize that's not the formal complaint, right? That was a letter one of the injured parties penned. She was still discriminated against despite not being present.

(my bolds)

You realize that's not the formal complaint, right? That was a letter one of the injured parties penned. She was still discriminated against despite not being present.

Are you slow or what? Did I say it was the formal complaint? I was answering another posters question. Why did Bowman not file a formal complaint? And tell me how this works, being discriminated against in absentia. Should they give money to every gay person in the State who also wasn't there? Also explain how you're awarded money when you're not a plaintiff?

(my bolds)

Are you slow or what? Did I say it was the formal complaint? I was answering another posters question. Why did Bowman not file a formal complaint? And tell me how this works, being discriminated against in absentia. Should they give money to every gay person in the State who also wasn't there? Also explain how you're awarded money when you're not a plaintiff?

You initially called it perjury. There was no perjury since the formal complaint came from the individual present at the time.

She was a plaintiff. She was still discriminated against even though she wasn't present. It was her wedding cake.

Forum List

Back