The Education Complex is Stupid: Part 1. "Build Relationships"

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
I doubt there is any profession more willing to swallow, digest and spit back inane, worthless information than education.

Let's examine one such case: if a child has behavior problems, "building a relationship" can solve it. This is so ingrained that it's many admin's go-to. If the student acts like a jerk, the teacher is ROUTINELY called on the carpet for it (not the child), mostly being told to "build a relationship" with the child.

I appreciate the value of this over time for lots of reasons, but not when it comes to basic human decency. And I'm ready to say it everywhere, including to my direct admins. Like this, "Oh. So we're teaching children they are allowed to be rude to cashiers, servers and bank tellers because they don't 'have a relationship' with them. Right? No one can expect basic human decency from someone they don't know."

Plenty of woeful information on "building relationships" out there in education. Below is just one example.

Wrong again, quitter.

Sure. That's why you're able to post here so often during the school day. Heck, if I were a study hall monitor I'd probably think it's a cake walk too. Let the kids play on their phones, make sure no one dies or whatever.

Sure. That's why you're able to post here so often during the school day. Heck, if I were a study hall monitor I'd probably think it's a cake walk too. Let the kids play on their phones, make sure no one dies or whatever.

Still wrong, quitter. I teach high school kids who would literally scare the likes of you to death. You "struggle" with 6 year-olds, and bitch and moan about it here endlessly. I also coach kids from 5 inner city schools, and I enjoy it instead of bitching about it.

Last edited:
... if a child has behavior problems, "building a relationship" can solve it....

Many times it can help a lot. I've had many students who, while not great scholars, were treated as "problems" by most other teachers in large part because they were huge and scary-looking. When I make it clear that I am not impressed by (defensive measure) scowls, they usually come around. I've developed a great relationship with most such kids. This one enormous kid would come by my classroom after school almost every day just to hang out and chat a bit. Other teachers, like the OP, avoided him because of how he looked and as a result he kept his guard up all the time. His home life wasn't great, and he just wanted someone to listen to him with some measure of simple respect. Even more so with female students, many of whom in my district have some seriously heartbreaking histories/situations.

Listening and showing some respect go a long way.

Last edited:
Let's examine one such case: if a child has behavior problems, "building a relationship" can solve it. This is so ingrained that it's many admin's go-to. If the student acts like a jerk, the teacher is ROUTINELY called on the carpet for it (not the child), mostly being told to "build a relationship" with the child.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Many times it can help a lot. I've had many students who, while not great scholars, were treated as "problems" by most other teachers in large part because they were huge and scary-looking. When I make it clear that I am not impressed by (defensive measure) scowls, they usually come around. I've developed a great relationship with most such kids. This one enormous kid would come by my classroom after school almost every day just to hang out and chat a bit. Other teachers, like the OP, avoided him because of how he looked and as a result he kept his guard up all the time. His home life wasn't great, and he just wanted someone to listen to him with some measure of simple respect. Even more so with female students, many of whom in my district have some seriously heartbreaking histories/situations.

Listening and showing some respect go a long way.

I am not talking about students who "look scary". I'm talking about actual bad behavior that is repetitive, as I made clear.

Still wrong, quitter. I teach high school kids who would literally scare the likes of you to death. You "struggle" with 6 year-olds, and bitch and moan about it here endlessly. I also coach kids from 5 inner city schools, and I enjoy it instead of bitching about it.

When your hs kids get violent, you have security and police. When ours do, everyone says "they're only six" while female teachers are sent to the hospital.

But I'm not even talking about THAT.

I'm talking about the stupidity of the Education Complex thinking the way to cure rude, impolite behavior is to just be nice. That's actually abusive. To the teachers.

Forum List

Back