The Emergency Room Myth

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
One of the many lies used to persuade that socialized medicine is beneficial is that "free-loaders" don't carry insurance, and simply trot on in to the Emergency Rooms for care....

....and then the rest of us have to pay their bill.

After all, the myth goes, the high costs of emergency room treatment is a huge drain on government funding.
Now....if we get everyone covered, it follows that medical costs will decrease.

Really?
This couldn't simply be another Liberal lie.....could it?

This from University of California, San Francisco:

1. "More adults in California are flocking to emergency rooms,....

2. ...those on Medicaid who are using ERs at a faster rate than the uninsured or privately insured, according to new UC San Francisco research.

3. ....findings could reflect a nationwide trend under the Affordable Care Act.

4. ...Medicaid patients have higher rates of ER use, as the study found

5. The study investigated trends in the association between insurance coverage and usage of emergency departments among adults ages 18 to 64.

6. All the findings suggest that emergency department use may actually increase with health care reform, instead of decline....

7. While uninsured patients often have been singled out for inappropriate overuse of the ER, the analysis found that ER usage during the study time frame actually grew fastest among Medicaid beneficiaries, the federal program for people with low incomes.

8. ...Medicaid patients consistently had the highest rate of visits for potentially preventable conditions,...."
Surging Medicaid Use in California?s Emergency Rooms | ucsf.edu

Another reason for ObamaCare down the drain.

As the CBO states that 36 million will remain uninsured, file both 'promises' in the circular file.

The DeathPanelDemocrats knew the problem with emergency room visits would be exacerbated by ObamaCare.

How so?

Because they said they based it on RomneyCare......and this happened:

ER visits, costs in Mass. climb

Questions raised about healthcare law's impact on overuse

By Liz Kowalczyk
Globe Staff / April 24, 2009

More people are seeking care in hospital emergency rooms, and the cost of caring for ER patients has soared 17 percent over two years, despite efforts to direct patients with nonurgent problems to primary care doctors instead, according to new state data. ER visits, costs in Mass. climb
- The Boston Globe
ER visits, costs in Mass. climb - The Boston Globe

One of the many lies used to persuade that socialized medicine is beneficial is that "free-loaders" don't carry insurance, and simply trot on in to the Emergency Rooms for care....

After all, the myth goes, the high costs of emergency room treatment is a huge drain on government funding.

Really?

Your studies are on LEGAL Americans. So don't try to hold a double standard please :)

2. ...those on Medicaid who are using ERs at a faster rate than the uninsured or privately insured, according to new UC San Francisco research.

5. The study investigated trends in the association between insurance coverage and usage of emergency departments among adults ages 18 to 64.

6. All the findings suggest that emergency department use may actually increase with health care reform, instead of decline....

7. While uninsured patients often have been singled out for inappropriate overuse of the ER, the analysis found that ER usage during the study time frame actually grew fastest among Medicaid beneficiaries, the federal program for people with low incomes.

8. ...Medicaid patients consistently had the highest rate of visits for potentially preventable conditions,...."

As the CBO states that 36 million will remain uninsured, file both 'promises' in the circular file.

I'm actually proud to be in a forum that actually knows about this movement.

What I find strange that you have the fact in hand that people without insurance go to ER for coverage but you post a link stating that more people in "whatever' classes use the ER.

The fact remains the same through your statistics. The people without Insurance are still going to the ER for FREE HEALTHCARE.

Now I'll ask you to do the same homework I did. What is the Average ER visit vs the average Dr.Office visit?

Note that people use to tell me "you lie, the hospital pays for that ER visit" which is true, but the Government pays them for that visit later......

So let's have a wise discussion about this instead of a bias one.

Last edited:

Really?

Your studies are on LEGAL Americans. So don't try to hold a double standard please :)

What I find strange that you have the fact in hand that people without insurance go to ER for coverage but you post a link stating that more people in "whatever' classes use the ER.

The fact remains the same through your statistics. The people without Insurance are still going to the ER for FREE HEALTHCARE.

Now I'll ask you to do the same homework I did. What is the Average ER visit vs the average Dr.Office visit?

Note that people use to tell me "you lie, the hospital pays for that ER visit" which is true, but the Government pays them for that visit later......

Good luck with that....

These are strange times when PoliticalChic can post something that Daily KOS might agree with.

Charity cases are a strain on the private hospital....... These strains are one of the reason why they lobbied so hard for the ACA, so they would be paid for hospital losses.

Really?

The Government pays on the schedule they maintain for the services rendered. And it does not cover everything. The Hospital must seek the additional funds from the Patient and if the medicare patient has no money guess what? No payment is received by the Hospital and they farm it out for collections.

Really?

Let's see if I can help you to understand.

Among other lies told by this administration, they claimed that ObamaCare would reduce visits to the ER because the imaginary uninsured would now be covered for doctor visits.

Evidence via the UCSF study shows that we can expect even more ER visits.

And, btw, that is exactly what happened in Massachusetts.

Clearly there is no bias in my OP.

Get it, dope?

Really?

The Government pays on the schedule they maintain for the services rendered. And it does not cover everything. The Hospital must seek the additional funds from the Patient and if the medicare patient has no money guess what? No payment is received by the Hospital and they farm it out for collections.

I've heard it all. But the final fact is that the patient does not pay and the people do either through insurance, taxation or rising costs. Just facts dude.

Really?

Among other lies told by this administration, they claimed that ObamaCare would reduce visits to the ER because the imaginary uninsured would now be covered for doctor visits.

Get it, dope?

I got it when you said, "imaginary uninsured" and called me a dope.

Education is key when debating politics. Lack of facts and calling someone names doesn't make you win a political debate.

AND AGAIN............The left wanted a single payer system, not the RomneyCare that is in place today. Is this ok, I don't really care, it's just fact. The Single Payer system would absolutely mean there were less visits to the ER. Tell me what state has the standard for that...

Last edited:
ER use will increase on the newly covered whether state exchanges or ACA or Medicaid.

How could it not?

As people are educated on how to use insurance and gain primary care doctors, the use will drop.

How could it not?

And the Massachusetts' use of ERs dropped over time as people were covered, in the system, educated, and gained primary care physicians.

How could then not?

And since most of PC's OPs are easily overturned, she will ad hom.

How could she not?

Last edited:

Get it, dope?

I got it when you said, "imaginary uninsured" and called me a dope.

Education is key when debating politics. Lack of facts and calling someone names doesn't make you win a political debate.

AND AGAIN............The left wanted a single payer system, not the RomneyCare that is in place today. Is this ok, I don't really care, it's just fact. The Single Payer system would absolutely mean there were less visits to the ER. Tell me what state has the standard for that...

The 45 million that the Left claimed as uninsured is and was not just imaginary....an outright lie.

It was used to persuade dopes that socialized medicine- one more aspect of government control of every aspect of our lives- is beneficial.
It is not.

To be specific: there were never 45 million Americans who wanted healthcare insurance and were unable to get it.

Never.

Dope.

ER use will increase on the newly covered whether state exchanges or ACA or Medicaid.

How could it not?

As people are educated on how to use insurance and gain primary care doctors, the use will drop.

How could it not?

And the Massachusetts' use of ERs dropped over time as people were covered, in the system, educated, and gained primary care physicians.

How could then not?

And since most of PC's OPs are easily overturned, she will ad hom.

How could she not?

In a packed field, you regularly vie for the title of most moronic poster.

You've got my vote.

In your first line you agree to the truth of the OP....then pretend you can counter it.

I bet that sometimes even you question your sanity....and I bet, sometimes it replies.

Wow another cut and paste PC thread.

Now how shall I address these important issues..

SQUIRREL!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ35zawvdWs]Angry Squirrel (Sweet!) - YouTube[/ame]

It really costs more, If someone goes to the ER. It's the last resort, and by the time that person might be diagnosed with a serious disease like cancer, So in effect it will cost society more to threat that person. If a person had access to a doctor preventive test could have picked that up and it would be much cheaper to treat at that stage. ER's are for stabilization not treatment, that is their mandate and by law

It really costs more, If someone goes to the ER. It's the last resort, and by the time that person might be diagnosed with a serious disease like cancer, So in effect it will cost society more to threat that person. If a person had access to a doctor preventive test could have picked that up and it would be much cheaper to treat at that stage. ER's are for stabilization not treatment, that is their mandate and by law

"...more to threat that person."

What a great idea!!

We could say 'If you come back here I will beat you like a red-headed step-child!!!'

When my husband was sick we spent a LOT of time in Emergency Rooms, in all kinds of hospitals. They aren't a last resort. They come in with headaches, the baby has a runny nose, they have a hang nail. They have an itch in the middle of their back. When it's free, they use it. What difference does it make to them. The wait can be hours long, some of them give up, the headache goes away, they leave. Some hang on for that bandaid for the hang nail or aspirin for the headache. Ambulances that are also free, can make a handy taxi when necessary.

It might be a nice bedtime story to tell yourself that all those people in the ER wouldn't be there if they had doctors who could test and give preventive care. The reality is, there are no doctors. Doctors don't take Medicaid, they don't take obamacare. Without a doctor there is no appointment and no preventive care either. The really sick don't have a doctor. The best they can do is get into a county hospital emergency room where they will be assigned to a clinic for ongoing care.

Really?

and this trend will only continue, because as our healthcare becomes more socialized it will be toughter to schedule an appointment with a doctor. lead times will become longer so people will flock to the ER for faster service

People will be forced into the ER because they won't be able to find a doctor that accepts obamacare.

Forum List

Back