The fallacy of black unwed births

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
CDC: 40%+ of U.S. Babies Born to Unmarried Women for 8th Straight Year

Of the 3,977,745 babies born in the United States of America in 2015, 1,600,208 of them—or 40.2 percent--were born to unmarried mothers, according to data released this month by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

"CDC: 40%+ of U.S. Babies Born to Unmarried Women for 8th Straight Year"

In 2015 there were just over 415,000 babies born to unwed black moms. There were 3,977,745 babies born over all. So the percentage of unwed black babies born as a percentage of all babies was approximately 10,4 percent. Blacks had just over 500,000 babies total. Whites had over 1.9 million total and over 600,000 babies born to unwed moms or about 16 percent of all unwed births as a percentage of all births.

Table I–4. Births to unmarried women, by race and Hispanic origin of mother: United States, each state and territory, 2015, National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 66, Number 1 ... - CDC

The reality of this information shows that whites actually had more unwed children than blacks had children. In 2015 blacks had just over 500,000 children total. Whites had over 620,000 unwed births. Now I'm sure the mathematical "geniuses" around here will try talking their usual trash, but the facts are as they are. The unwed birth percentage of blacks as opposed to the total number of births was just over 10 percent. By both number and percentage whites had more unwed births. Now you can argue the usual dumb white supremacist argument based only on the number of total black babies born and back babies born out of wedlock, but that paints a false picture and that's the picture whites gave been painting for 400 years.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, but if you go into the data, there are 5 racial listings used: Non-hispanic white, Non-hispanic black, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Asian or Pacific Islanders, and Hispanic. The CDC report lists the percentages of babies born within each race to unmarried mothers. In order, those percentages are 29.2, 70.4, 65.8, 16.4, and 52.9.

So yes, fewer babies are born to unwed black mothers than unwed white mothers. However, the odds of a black mother being unwed when giving birth are far greater than the odds of a white mother being unwed when giving birth. The odds of an Asian or Pacific Islander mother being unwed when giving birth are the lowest.

Age is also a big indicator, as the younger a new mother is, the greater the chance she will be unwed.

I'm not sure just what you think you are proving with these statistics. :dunno:

Here's the link directly to the CDC report, rather than just the article: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_03.pdf

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, but if you go into the data, there are 5 racial listings used: Non-hispanic white, Non-hispanic black, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Asian or Pacific Islanders, and Hispanic. The CDC report lists the percentages of babies born within each race to unmarried mothers. In order, those percentages are 29.2, 70.4, 65.8, 16.4, and 52.9.

So yes, fewer babies are born to unwed black mothers than unwed white mothers. However, the odds of a black mother being unwed when giving birth are far greater than the odds of a white mother being unwed when giving birth. The odds of an Asian or Pacific Islander mother being unwed when giving birth are the lowest.

Age is also a big indicator, as the younger a new mother is, the greater the chance she will be unwed.

Here's the link directly to the CDC report, rather than just the article: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_03.pdf
Just pushing the Trump agenda

Just pushing the Trump agenda

Wait, what? :lol:

Of the 3,977,745 babies born in the United States of America in 2015, 1,600,208 of them—or 40.2 percent--were born to unmarried mothers, according to data released this month by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

In 2015 there were just over 415,000 babies born to unwed black moms. There were 3,977,745 babies born over all. So the percentage of unwed black babies born as a percentage of all babies was approximately 10,4 percent. Blacks had just over 500,000 babies total. Whites had over 1.9 million total and over 600,000 babies born to unwed moms or about 16 percent of all unwed births as a percentage of all births.

Table I–4. Births to unmarried women, by race and Hispanic origin of mother: United States, each state and territory, 2015, National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 66, Number 1 ... - CDC

The reality of this information shows that whites actually had more unwed children than blacks had children. In 2015 blacks had just over 500,000 children total. Whites had over 620,000 unwed births. Now I'm sure the mathematical "geniuses" around here will try talking their usual trash, but the facts are as they are. The unwed birth percentage of blacks as opposed to the total number of births was just over 10 percent. By both number and percentage whites had more unwed births. Now you can argue the usual dumb white supremacist argument based only on the number of total black babies born and back babies born out of wedlock, but that paints a false picture and that's the picture whites gave been painting for 400 years.

Exact 2015 numbers from https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_03.pdf underlined.

In 2015 there were just over 415,000 (415,029-non-Hispanic black) babies born to unwed black moms........ Blacks had just over 500,000 (589,605-non-Hispanic black) babies total.

70% of black births were to unwed mothers.

Whites had over 1.9 million (2,129,657-non-Hispanic white) total and over 600,000 (621,498-non-Hispanic white) babies born to unwed moms

29% of white births were to unwed mothers.

We can see that 5.13 times the total number of white births, compared to total black births, resulted in 1.5 times the number of out of wedlock white births, compared to out of wedlock black births.

That's why, while total white unwed births are 50% higher, the black unwed birth rate is about 2.4 times the white rate.

I'm not sure just what you think you are proving with these statistics.

That white math is racist!!!

So you're saying it's not fatherlessness, but bad genetics, that is the cause of high rates of black violent crime and stupidity? Agreed!

Montrovant, I have access to that. I know those numbers.I went into the data. I'm proving that the number of black unwed births is actually small when compared to ALL BIRTHS. We ain't talking about no freaking odds because the odds are greater that black married women are not having children compared to white women. What you see here is the same type of bullshit whites try pulling with black on black crime. The truth of this matter montrovant is you believe only half the story at best. If you cannot look at all the facts don't come thinking you can show me a link to 1/4th of the facts like that's supposed tp mean something.

So yes, fewer babies are born to unwed black mothers than unwed white mothers.
That's all that matters. Per capita statistics and rates are racist white inventions that don't prove nuthin'!

Baby Mama Drama: Explaining Conservative Deception About Out-of-Wedlock Births in the Black Community

Ever since my post two days ago, in which I detailed the way the right, a) distorts evidence about social pathology in black communities with regard to crime and out-of-wedlock childbirth, and b) routinely ignores those pathologies that are prevalent in white spaces, I’ve been bombarded with requests for further clarification. Specifically, about the matter of out-of-wedlock childbearing among black women. Folks are apparently confused by the evidence and would like to better understand what I was saying and why conservative arguments about this issue are entirely fraudulent.

I agree that the data is confusing, and so I will try and explain it as clearly as possible.

First, to recap: when conservatives argue that there is an “illegitimacy” crisis in black America, and that rising out-of-wedlock birthrates are the real cause of black folks’ problems, they demonstrate an inability to actually understand statistics. The fact is, the birth rate for unmarried black women (births per 1000 such women of childbearing age) is dropping, not rising. For black teens, the birth rate has fallen by half since 1970 and is now at its lowest point ever, and for black women generally the out-of-wedlock birthrate is down by about a third in that same period of time.

However, as conservatives note, it is also true that the percentage of black births that are out-of-wedlock as a share of all black births has risen, nearly doubling since 1970, and now stands at just over 72 percent.

Both of these things are true: declining birth rates and fertility rates for unmarried black women (i.e., unmarried black women are increasingly being more and more “responsible” in conservative terms, not less), and also a climbing share of out-of-wedlock kids as a share of all black kids born.
Baby Mama Drama: Explaining Conservative Deception About Out-of-Wedlock Births in the Black Community

Cool ---- now add in abortions.

Cool ---- now add in abortions.

Nah, I won't be doing that.

But most white mothers have jobs or family support so they don't depend on Tyrone Dequan knocking off dudes in da hood! :laugh:

Forum List

Back