The GOP's Eight Year Lie

Okay then, I'll ask again: You said they had a plan three times in your post, what was it, outside of the vague examples I gave?

Did it have a name? Was it in book format so we could read how it all fit together, and understand what it would look like, what it would cost, who would be covered and how?

Eight freaking years. "We have a better plan". They did not, and they knew it. That's lying.

Your inner Liberal is showing. You cannot simply call it "vague" and dismiss it. It isn't vague because YOU say it is. As I have explained, it wasn't complete and fleshed out because they didn't have to. They knew that as long as 0bama was potus, there was no chance they would get to put it in place.

It had a name, it was called the GOP Healthcare plan. No, I doubt it was in book form but it didn't have to be. They explained the basic ideas they had. That was all that they needed to do at the time.

It appears that you didn't take the time to read my post more than a skimming. I'm not going to repeat everything I said here. Your failure here is in defining what they had and what they did in a way that enables you to call them a liar. It's a strawman argument. Something the liberals live and die on. I expect, and have read, better from you.
I've been paying close attention to this issue, because I'm trained in it and I deal with it pretty regularly for clients. For five years, I was the lone financial guy in the room, brought in by a Fortune 100 insurer to provide guidance as they pieced together health care plans for my state, benefit by benefit.

So, any detail will get my attention, and the GOP has simply not provided it. We've all heard the same short list of "ideas" - selling across state lines, HSAs, tort reform. All the GOP had to do - and I've said this a million times - was put together a real plan, lay it out, give it a name, and promote it. And all along, as we both know, they said their "ideas" were "better".

Rattling off three or four ideas isn't enough.

They were clearly just faking it, while telling us they had a better plan. Now, with all this power, they're looking foolish.

Nothing they put out there did anything to insure more people or address the main cost drivers in the system. That's why no one in the industry supported it. It was a half assed, feeble attempt at best.
I compare it to an artist trying to paint a bold, vivid landscape with only half a paint pallet. They not "allowed" to keep "too much" government, so all options in that area are simply not available to them.

You just can't hamstring yourself like that with something this large and complicated.

I foolishly thought Ryan was maybe a little smarter about policy than most in the house. After this, it's apparent that he's just another political opportunist with nothing to offer. They have destroyed their credibility, at least on healthcare. This was an unforced error of leadership across the board. McConnell should have been on the phone imploring Ryan to slow his roll on this.
Interesting that one mistake Democrats will admit Obama made was to lead with health care instead of the economy.

Deja vu, y'know?

It's true republicans vowed to repeal the monstrosity but the lie belongs to the democrats who passed it without reading the freaking thing.

Republicans promised something better than that "monstrosity"
They failed miserably

Your inner Liberal is showing. You cannot simply call it "vague" and dismiss it. It isn't vague because YOU say it is. As I have explained, it wasn't complete and fleshed out because they didn't have to. They knew that as long as 0bama was potus, there was no chance they would get to put it in place.

It had a name, it was called the GOP Healthcare plan. No, I doubt it was in book form but it didn't have to be. They explained the basic ideas they had. That was all that they needed to do at the time.

It appears that you didn't take the time to read my post more than a skimming. I'm not going to repeat everything I said here. Your failure here is in defining what they had and what they did in a way that enables you to call them a liar. It's a strawman argument. Something the liberals live and die on. I expect, and have read, better from you.
I've been paying close attention to this issue, because I'm trained in it and I deal with it pretty regularly for clients. For five years, I was the lone financial guy in the room, brought in by a Fortune 100 insurer to provide guidance as they pieced together health care plans for my state, benefit by benefit.

So, any detail will get my attention, and the GOP has simply not provided it. We've all heard the same short list of "ideas" - selling across state lines, HSAs, tort reform. All the GOP had to do - and I've said this a million times - was put together a real plan, lay it out, give it a name, and promote it. And all along, as we both know, they said their "ideas" were "better".

They were clearly just faking it, while telling us they had a better plan. Now, with all this power, they're looking foolish.

Nothing they put out there did anything to insure more people or address the main cost drivers in the system. That's why no one in the industry supported it. It was a half assed, feeble attempt at best.
I compare it to an artist trying to paint a bold, vivid landscape with only half a paint pallet. They not "allowed" to keep "too much" government, so all options in that area are simply not available to them.

You just can't hamstring yourself like that with something this large and complicated.

I foolishly thought Ryan was maybe a little smarter about policy than most in the house. After this, it's apparent that he's just another political opportunist with nothing to offer. They have destroyed their credibility, at least on healthcare. This was an unforced error of leadership across the board. McConnell should have been on the phone imploring Ryan to slow his roll on this.
Interesting that one mistake Democrats will admit Obama made was to lead with health care instead of the economy.

Deja vu, y'know?

Dems did the heavy lifting on healthcare. It took nearly two years to get it done. Millions more have insurance and the average annual growth in premiums is smaller than before the ACA. While far from perfect, it put us on the path we need to be on. This plan did nothing to further any healthcare goals.

The Obama economy wasn't awful. Slow, but steady. The Republicans held both houses for two years before the election and have the WH now as well. They haven't seemed to have great economic initiatives beyond the usual tax cuts either.

I know you like to play the two sides against each other, but Dems get things done while Repubs haven't done anything for going on a decade.

Deja vu, y'know?

Dems did the heavy lifting on healthcare. It took nearly two years to get it done. Millions more have insurance and the average annual growth in premiums is smaller than before the ACA. While far from perfect, it put us on the path we need to be on. This plan did nothing to further any healthcare goals.

The Obama economy wasn't awful. Slow, but steady. The Republicans held both houses for two years before the election and have the WH now as well. They haven't seemed to have great economic initiatives beyond the usual tax cuts either.

I know you like to play the two sides against each other, but Dems get things done while Repubs haven't done anything for going on a decade.
I've made my position on health care abundantly clear many times.

The fact that both parties have offered ridiculous crap is not my fault.

I know you have an ideological obligation to spin for one side, and that's not my fault, either.

And it sure as hell was a lie.

For years the GOP has been telling us, "just elect us, we have the plan for health care, and we'll fix it if we just have the power to ".

When we asked to SEE the plan, they laughed and said there was one and we didn't need to see it. They tossed a few vague "examples" of it - "We'll let insurance companies sell across state lines", or "we'll do HSA plans", or "tort reform", but it sure did seem like they didn't have an actual plan.

Okay, maybe I was wrong, maybe they were being honest, maybe they had a plan and would unveil it the day after Trump's inauguration day.

Well, they sure didn't, did they? They've been lying all this time.

We're not supposed to take Trump literally, but seriously. How are we supposed to take the GOP now? Are we supposed to believe ANYTHING at this point?
Trump didn't understand how legislation works, and he illustrates why electing someone who has zero experience in actually being in office is not usually done.

But it remains to be seen whether he's content to try and pass legislation w/o any bipartisan help or whether he'll actually try to forge a consensus of the majority.

Deja vu, y'know?
And what comes back to haunt the dems is NOT the Medicaid expansion but the price of obamacare policies. And some gopers probably would have gone along with the expansion, but the individual mandate was literally suicidal for a goper to support.

Depends. They did have a plan. Was it totally fleshed out at that point? No. But they did not keep its main points secret.

For years the GOP has been telling us, "just elect us, we have the plan for health care, and we'll fix it if we just have the power to ".

Not all conservatives were on board with that, and they still aren't, as we just saw. Many conservatives just like myself, want 0bamacare repealed and not replaced. So, though that's what YOU fixated on, not all conservatives agreed.
When we asked to SEE the plan, they laughed and said there was one and we didn't need to see it. They tossed a few vague "examples" of it - "We'll let insurance companies sell across state lines", or "we'll do HSA plans", or "tort reform", but it sure did seem like they didn't have an actual plan.

They didn't laugh at you when you asked. They had a plan, they didn't have it fleshed out because for 7 years they knew that they would not get 0bamacare repealed. What they had was an outline of a plan, and that was all they needed at the time.

Okay, maybe I was wrong, maybe they were being honest, maybe they had a plan and would unveil it the day after Trump's inauguration day.

Like I said, they had a plan and they weren't hiding it. They didn't have it completely ready because, like everyone else in the establishment, they didn't expect Trump to win.

Yes, they did, no they did not lie.
Okay then, I'll ask again: You said they had a plan three times in your post, what was it, outside of the vague examples I gave?

Did it have a name? Was it in book format so we could read how it all fit together, and understand what it would look like?

Eight freaking years. "We have a better plan". They did not, and they knew it. That's lying.

It's a simple question.
If they had a better plan, then why did they present the one they did?

Equally easy answer. They never had a better plan.

Wrong, it is far from simple. However, you have hit on the actual lie that the GOP has been telling though I don't think you realize it and the OP missed it completely.

The GOP kept pushing the repeal of Obamacare as often as they could during 0bama's regime. They knew that they had no chance of repealing it. It was a play to their constituents. The RINOs in government don't have the spine to repeal 0bamacare and open up the free market in health insurance, which was what they were touting all along. That is why they aren't going with their original plan. That is why the actual conservatives in Congress hated the bill. They, along with the never-Trumpers like McCain, prevented the bill from having enough votes.

The bill however, was still better than Obamacare.

24 million fewer insured is in no way better.
It is very simple. If they had something better, then what was the purpose of this shitshow?

It absolutely was better. Most of those 24 million would CHOOSE not to have healthcare. That's freedom and that's better.

Depends. They did have a plan. Was it totally fleshed out at that point? No. But they did not keep its main points secret.

Not all conservatives were on board with that, and they still aren't, as we just saw. Many conservatives just like myself, want 0bamacare repealed and not replaced. So, though that's what YOU fixated on, not all conservatives agreed.
They didn't laugh at you when you asked. They had a plan, they didn't have it fleshed out because for 7 years they knew that they would not get 0bamacare repealed. What they had was an outline of a plan, and that was all they needed at the time.

Like I said, they had a plan and they weren't hiding it. They didn't have it completely ready because, like everyone else in the establishment, they didn't expect Trump to win.

Yes, they did, no they did not lie.

Did it have a name? Was it in book format so we could read how it all fit together, and understand what it would look like?

It's a simple question.

Wrong, it is far from simple. However, you have hit on the actual lie that the GOP has been telling though I don't think you realize it and the OP missed it completely.

The GOP kept pushing the repeal of Obamacare as often as they could during 0bama's regime. They knew that they had no chance of repealing it. It was a play to their constituents. The RINOs in government don't have the spine to repeal 0bamacare and open up the free market in health insurance, which was what they were touting all along. That is why they aren't going with their original plan. That is why the actual conservatives in Congress hated the bill. They, along with the never-Trumpers like McCain, prevented the bill from having enough votes.

It is very simple. If they had something better, then what was the purpose of this shitshow?

It absolutely was better. Most of those 24 million would CHOOSE not to have healthcare. That's freedom and that's better.
Most of those 24 million would CHOOSE not to have healthcare.

Well, if most of those 24 million people find themselves needing to buy a $10K health insurance policy, odds are they would not so choose were they faced with a reality of the AHCA similar to that noted below.(Click the link for additional detail).
  • Under the AHCA, if the premium is $10,000/year, you need to have $10K of your own money to pay for the insurance policy. You also have to have the money to pay your co-pays, deductibles, etc. Assuming you do have $10K you can pay to the insurer, your "losses" in connection with the AHCA are limited to the interest you forgo by having had to pay that money to the insurance company rather than earning interest on it as it sits in your own bank account.
    • One must calculate the specific interest impact for oneself as whether one pays monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually affects the interest you pay....don't forget that you pay some interest to the insurer if you opt for a periodic payment plan rather than paying annually; thus one must net the interest gains and losses to determine the precise interest-loss sum applicable to one's own situation. (I'm not going to repeat the interest impact after this. Just be aware it's still there but it will be germane to a smaller sum of principal.)
  • Under the ACA, if the premium is $10,000/year, you need to have $7500 of your own money to pay for the insurance policy. You also have to have the money to pay your co-pays, deductibles, etc. In this scenario, the interest effect applies to $7500, not $10K.
You know why they wouldn't choose not have health insurance? I'll tell you. They would not because under the AHCA, if one doesn't have the money to pay the full price of (monthly) premium and insurer charges for a policy one attempts to buy in an insurance marketplace, the insurance company won't sell it. The AHCA's purchase model/process works very much going to a store to buy something. If you don't have the money to buy it, you can't buy it. That's not "choosing not to buy the item;" it's "being unable" to buy the item.

Read the AHCA. (a copy is at the link above) When you do so, you'll find no provision that allows a would-be buyer to factor their tax credit to the insurer.

It's true republicans vowed to repeal the monstrosity but the lie belongs to the democrats who passed it without reading the freaking thing.

They failed miserably

For 7 years republicans said they had a better plan. When in fact republicans had no plan, other than obstruction and repeal. There was no replace, in the place.

It's a simple question.

Well, if most of those 24 million people find themselves needing to buy a $10K health insurance policy, odds are they would not so choose were they faced with a reality of the AHCA similar to that noted below.(Click the link for additional detail).
  • Under the AHCA, if the premium is $10,000/year, you need to have $10K of your own money to pay for the insurance policy. You also have to have the money to pay your co-pays, deductibles, etc. Assuming you do have $10K you can pay to the insurer, your "losses" in connection with the AHCA are limited to the interest you forgo by having had to pay that money to the insurance company rather than earning interest on it as it sits in your own bank account.
    • One must calculate the specific interest impact for oneself as whether one pays monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually affects the interest you pay....don't forget that you pay some interest to the insurer if you opt for a periodic payment plan rather than paying annually; thus one must net the interest gains and losses to determine the precise interest-loss sum applicable to one's own situation. (I'm not going to repeat the interest impact after this. Just be aware it's still there but it will be germane to a smaller sum of principal.)
  • Under the ACA, if the premium is $10,000/year, you need to have $7500 of your own money to pay for the insurance policy. You also have to have the money to pay your co-pays, deductibles, etc. In this scenario, the interest effect applies to $7500, not $10K.
You know why they wouldn't choose not have health insurance? I'll tell you. They would not because under the AHCA, if one doesn't have the money to pay the full price of (monthly) premium and insurer charges for a policy one attempts to buy in an insurance marketplace, the insurance company won't sell it. The AHCA's purchase model/process works very much going to a store to buy something. If you don't have the money to buy it, you can't buy it. That's not "choosing not to buy the item;" it's "being unable" to buy the item.

Read the AHCA. (a copy is at the link above) When you do so, you'll find no provision that allows a would-be buyer to factor their tax credit to the insurer.

Irrelevant. The reason so many would choose not to is because they are young and healthy.

We're not supposed to take Trump literally, but seriously. How are we supposed to take the GOP now? Are we supposed to believe ANYTHING at this point?

they had a plan. It was called RomneyCare.

Then Obama stole it.

the real problem is that the GOP has so alienated the Democrats they can't work out compromises, and the 30 or so nuts in the Freedom Caucus can pretty much hold the rest of the House Majority hostage.
Your history is a bit hazy.

Romney stole it from Hillary-Care.

Actually, in the real world. Romneycare came from the Heritage Foundation. That is a FACT.

How the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative Think Tank, Promoted the Individual Mandate

It's a simple question.

Irrelevant. The reason so many would choose not to is because they are young and healthy.
...to hope was to expect...
― Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

They failed miserably

For 7 years republicans said they had a better plan. When in fact republicans had no plan, other than obstruction and repeal. There was no replace, in the place.

As John Boehner said.....In 25 years I never saw a healthcare plan Republicans would agree on

You never will

Trump promised everyone would be taken care of, and love the new plan, so I'm sure that's what will happen.

:laugh:

Actually Trump said the new plan would be great, the best, better than anybody could imagine. It would cover everybody, at less cost, and give people the freedom to chose the plan they wanted, or to not chose the plan. Either way his plan was absolutely brilliant, the greatest healthcare the world has ever seen.

Trump didn't understand how legislation works, and he illustrates why electing someone who has zero experience in actually being in office is not usually done.

But it remains to be seen whether he's content to try and pass legislation w/o any bipartisan help or whether he'll actually try to forge a consensus of the majority.
We have a Merchant in Commerce in chief and a Commerce Clause. Why do we have Any problems?

Forum List

Back