The Green New Deal is Actually Feasable

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, I know everyone has heard a lot of BS about the GND, but it can actually be implemented and I plan to put a more detailed explanation in the Clean Debate forum.

I give two links to a Carlson interview with Robert Hockett discussing this. Of course, Carlson is 10% investigator and 90% entertainer and he is trying to make Hockett look like a typical Woketard, but Hockett isn't. The Green New Deal can actually work and I would like to upgrade and modernize our energy tech and resources. Most of this needs to be done independently of the Green New Deal or not.

Robert Hockett - Cornell law professor

There are some problems for Green New Deal with a simple and broad idea of how it can be addressed:
1) shrinking petroleum industry is a risk to the petro dollar - go to a commodities based US dollar.
2) existing industries to be replaced will fight it for survival - have partnerships with these industries to implement the GND and thus allow them to continue making revenue
3) how to pay for it? - by using government funds to act as catalyst instead of the sole implementing agent
4) What are these green new sources of energy? - Most are well known, but Thorium Molten Salt Reactors are totally green energy, it is existing technology, and can be put into place through a crash program. These TMSRs are 100% safe to people and the environment. Improving efficiency in our grid by using more locally based power generation would also be helpful. Our grid really needs to be upgraded.
5) how to keep people employed from replaced industries? - use these industries to implement the change, if they are willing to, the employment numbers can be maintained as they transition to new forms of energy
6) what to do with petroleum, coal and gas? - petroleum can still be used to make high grade plastic for construction, coal can be used to make carbon nanotube cable, and gas can be stored and used to keep the power grid stable during less green energy convenient times.

In addition, if we coupled the modernization of our power grid with a new industry of asteroid mining, with all its spin off industries and tech, full employment is easy peezy.

Yeah, I know everyone has heard a lot of BS about the GND, but it can actually be implemented and I plan to put a more detailed explanation in the Clean Debate forum.

I give two links to a Carlson interview with Robert Hockett discussing this. Of course, Carlson is 10% investigator and 90% entertainer and he is trying to make Hockett look like a typical Woketard, but Hockett isn't. The Green New Deal can actually work and I would like to upgrade and modernize our energy tech and resources. Most of this needs to be done independently of the Green New Deal or not.

There are some problems for Green New Deal with a simple and broad idea of how it can be addressed:
1) shrinking petroleum industry is a risk to the petro dollar - go to a commodities based US dollar.
2) existing industries to be replaced will fight it for survival - have partnerships with these industries to implement the GND and thus allow them to continue making revenue
3) how to pay for it? - by using government funds to act as catalyst instead of the sole implementing agent
4) What are these green new sources of energy? - Most are well known, but Thorium Molten Salt Reactors are totally green energy, it is existing technology, and can be put into place through a crash program. These TMSRs are 100% safe to people and the environment. Improving efficiency in our grid by using more locally based power generation would also be helpful. Our grid really needs to be upgraded.
5) how to keep people employed from replaced industries? - use these industries to implement the change, if they are willing to, the employment numbers can be maintained as they transition to new forms of energy
6) what to do with petroleum, coal and gas? - petroleum can still be used to make high grade plastic for construction, coal can be used to make carbon nanotube cable, and gas can be stored and used to keep the power grid stable during less green energy convenient times.

In addition, if we coupled the modernization of our power grid with a new industry of asteroid mining, with all its spin off industries and tech, full employment is easy peezy.

Slowly tax gas so a new electric car is cheaper than driving your 4 year old car. My issue is water pollution-far worse than carbon and already a major shortage around the world.

Might want to look at Georgetown Texas. They gave green a try. Turns out wind and solar were much more expensive then conventional electricity. They ended up with much higher electric bills and millions in debt.

Might want to look at Georgetown Texas. They gave green a try. Turns out wind and solar were much more expensive then conventional electricity. They ended up with much higher electric bills and millions in debt.
But they did not try a Thorium Molten Salt Reactor.

I think such reactors are how this thing can work, primarily.

Slowly tax gas so a new electric car is cheaper than driving your 4 year old car. My issue is water pollution-far worse than carbon and already a major shortage around the world.
That is kind of harsh on family budgets.

If we improved the electric grid, modernizing it, and put TMSR to supply all the energy we need, it wouldnt really require any manipulation of gas prices.

That is kind of harsh on family budgets.

If we improved the electric grid, modernizing it, and put TMSR to supply all the energy we need, it wouldnt really require any manipulation of gas prices.
If the family contributes most to the carbon issue, isn't that where the emphasis must be? Every year, millions of drivers are added, increasing emissions. Maybe kids can start walking to schools or libraries or the arcade again.

I'm sure that economies of scale (both in terms of materials and technology) would mitigate this quite a bit, though there's no way to know how much.

My concern is how badly something like this would be mangled by partisan politics, which can turn decent ideas into steaming bowls of dog shit.

My concern is how badly something like this would be mangled by partisan politics, which can turn decent ideas into steaming bowls of dog shit.
That is the big horse fly in the ointment.

Our federal goobermint is not capable of finding its own ass any more.

I feel safer when it is like that for some reason. :D

.... The Green New Deal can actually work and I would like to upgrade and modernize our energy tech and resources. Most of this needs to be done independently of the Green New Deal or not...

So, how much are you willing to pay, per kWh for the upgrades to the Distribution Electric System?

Currently the US average is around $0.16/kWh. How much are you willing to pay?... $0.50/kWh? $1.00kWh? $1.60/kWh? That third one would probably be closer to what it would require... a 10X increase in cost.

Anathema
***** Electric Company
(3rd largest gas/electric Co in USA)

Those reactors are not operational. The "commercial scale prototype" expected to be up and running within four years, so in 2024. However, they had the same "within four years" prediction timeline back in 2015.

Those reactors are not operational. The "commercial scale prototype" expected to be up and running within four years, so in 2024. However, they had the same "within four years" prediction timeline back in 2015.
We have built them back in the 1950's. This is established off the shelf tech, not really new mostly.

The Chinese, India, Europe and Indonesia are going full speed into building Thorium reactors, and we should too.

Why?

The second reference is for Shanghai's thorium-salt reactor:

thorium molten salt - PubMed - NCBI
69804245_10216063540515498_4041205011651231744_n.jpg

We can really dream big and make it real with Thorium power.

Forum List

Back