The history of left-wing policies

LMAO! That is not how campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can’t say “******”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “******, ******.”
I have no idea if he really said that or not but by what measure does the comments of a campaign consultant reflect the whole political party? Should I research some Democrat consultants for you?

Gee, too bad the GOP didn't consult you on how to lie and use obfuscation BEFORE RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to the NAACP over the southern strategy in 2005.

"(Click names to see the articles by Roland Martin and Clarence Page)."

For the love of Christ, was it really that hard to click on the citations yourself? Just admit you don't know how the internet works. :cuckoo:

Why the Center Does Not Hold: The Causes of Hyperpolarized Democracy in America by Richard H. Pildes :: SSRN
You don't know how to read. The article doesn't support your claim.
"The specific historical processes involve the end of the 20th Century one-party monopoly on the American South, which began with the 1965 enactment of the Voting Rights Act; the destruction of that world eventually led, by the 1990s, to the South having a system of genuine two-party competition for the first time since the Civil War."

....which is what I (and the author I quoted) said.

And to think, I was taking the word of the California Law Review, and the NYU School of Law. :eusa_eh:
Golly, big names. Too bad you couldn't interpret the words.

Republicans didn't try to filibuster it, wiseguy. In fact, they have done more for civil rights in America than Democrats have ever done. If you want to get technical, a Republican set the ball rolling on civil rights in the Modern Era, by proposing the Civil Rights Act of 1957. That Republican was none other than Attorney General Herbert Brownell, who presided from 1953 to 1957 and was the GOP chairman from 1944 to 1946.

In 1960, Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed another Civil Rights Act, which amended the 1957 law. So, you have to ask yourself something: just what do Democrats really have to offer in the way of Civil Rights? Republicans laid the foundation for civil rights as far back as 1863 by passing the 13th Amendment to the Constitution abolishing slavery.

No sir, you are spinning history. Moreover, you don't know your history, as I have just pointed out.

Southern conservatives tried to filibuster it, wiseguy. And that is why the south has been solid red ever since. Does your selective history include Nixon's southern strategy, or is that not allowed in your dogma infested mind?

Back in the '50's the GOP had actual liberals in the party. I am old enough to remember.

That's also not pertinent. I know people who were alive during that era, including my own grandmother. A Democrat is a Democrat, even if in name only. My history isn't selective, namely because I don't believe only the South was racist or segregated. Your ad hominem suggests a weakening argument.

So, why rewrite history as you are accusing others of doing. It is inaccurate to say the GOP had "actual liberals" in the party. Back then a liberal Republican was closer to the center. They weren't liberals, they were centrists simply because they were further to the left of the rest of the party. Using your logic, I could say there were "actual conservatives" in the Democratic party; but given this pesky thing called reality, once again, they were also further to the right of the rest of their party, closest to the center.

I don't care if you are Methuselah himself, you're still wrong.

The south WAS racist AND segregated. NONE of this happened in the northern states.

whites-only-drinking-fountain.png
sign_whites_only1.jpg
dc24d9517345fe9c39d91a9ea665d647.jpg
a06D0my.jpg

Southern conservatives tried to filibuster it, wiseguy. And that is why the south has been solid red ever since. Does your selective history include Nixon's southern strategy, or is that not allowed in your dogma infested mind?

Back in the '50's the GOP had actual liberals in the party. I am old enough to remember.

That's also not pertinent. I know people who were alive during that era, including my own grandmother. A Democrat is a Democrat, even if in name only. My history isn't selective, namely because I don't believe only the South was racist or segregated. Your ad hominem suggests a weakening argument.

So, why rewrite history as you are accusing others of doing. It is inaccurate to say the GOP had "actual liberals" in the party. Back then a liberal Republican was closer to the center. They weren't liberals, they were centrists simply because they were further to the left of the rest of the party. Using your logic, I could say there were "actual conservatives" in the Democratic party; but given this pesky thing called reality, once again, they were also further to the right of the rest of their party, closest to the center.

I don't care if you are Methuselah himself, you're still wrong.

The south WAS racist AND segregated. NONE of this happened in the northern states.

whites-only-drinking-fountain.png
sign_whites_only1.jpg
dc24d9517345fe9c39d91a9ea665d647.jpg
a06D0my.jpg

That's also not true:

Segregated America - Separate Is Not Equal

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/teachers/lesson_plans/pdfs/unit11_3.pdf

Last edited:
Gee, too bad the GOP didn't consult you on how to lie and use obfuscation BEFORE RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to the NAACP over the southern strategy in 2005.
He didn't say what you think he said:

Politics of Division | Video | PBS NewsHour | PBS

CLARENCE PAGE: Politicians like to practice the politics of addition, not subtraction. They dream of persuading everybody-100 percent victory. On election night, reality sets in. As a journalist, I’ve seen the pain of rejection even in the eyes of winning politicians, brooding over every vote they failed to win, every voter they failed to persuade. But if the politics of division are what they think it takes for them to win, most of them will play that wedge card in all of its many forms. That’s what makes Republican Party chairman Ken Mehlman’s speech to this year’s NAACP convention so extraordinary.

KEN MEHLMAN: Good morning.

CLARENCE PAGE: He threw the race card down on the table and burned it.

KEN MEHLMAN: Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I come here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong. (Applause)

CLARENCE PAGE: He apologized, in effect, for the so-called “southern strategy,” a Republican tactic since the Nixon era to win white votes at the expense of black voters. A lot of black folks, including me, appreciated Mehlman’s sentiments, yet could not help but wonder about his timing. Why now? After all, Mehlman was apologizing for playing the race card, a racist strategy as old as American politics.

Southern Democrats played the race card to win and hold the South against the party of Abraham Lincoln. Conservative Republicans played the race card in the name of “state’s rights” to win the South in 1964. On the night President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he told his young aide Bill Moyers, “I think we just delivered the South to the Republican Party for a long time to come.”

Indeed, Nixon’s team expanded that so-called southern strategy to the North and West with racially coded wedge issues, like school busing, open housing and “crime in the streets.” It was Nixon, not Kennedy or Johnson, who signed affirmative action into law because, as his aides later revealed, Nixon wanted to divide Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal coalition of blacks, Jews and organized labor. It worked. Blacks won new employment and educational opportunities; Republicans won new votes.

May/June 2012
The liberal Republicanosaurus

By Charles Peters

For those too young to recall that there were once more than one or two liberal Republicans, I can assure that they actually existed in considerably greater number. When I arrived in Washington in the 1960s there were five Republicans who, more often than not, voted on the liberal side: Jacob Javits, Kenneth Keating, Clifford Case, Hugh Scott, and Thomas Kuchel. And there were seven other Republicans, like Margaret Chase Smith and John Sherman Cooper, who occasionally voted with the liberals. When Robert Kennedy, who had replaced Keating in the Senate, was shot in 1968, Nelson Rockefeller appointed a liberal Republican House member, Charles Goodell, to succeed him. Goodell would later marry my neighbor, Patricia Goldman, who in the 1970s happened to be the executive director of the Wednesday Club, a group that included about thirty liberal House Republicans. There was also a Wednesday Club in the Senate. When Olympia Snowe retires at the end of this year, Susan Collins will be the only remaining member.

"In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Labor is the United States. The men and women, who with their minds, their hearts and hands, create the wealth that is shared in this country—they are America."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

KEN MEHLMAN: Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I come here as Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong. (Applause)

That's exactly what he said.

You are truley clueless. I've lived in both and racism was/IS alive and well in the north. The biggest racists I've met lived in the north, at least the southerners were honest about it. As a new kid from NYC moved into the segregated south I was called ****** lover in a crowd, but alone they would come up to me and say shit like "I really don't have no problem with them, hell I play basketball with 'em". It was the opposite up north, they claim openmindedness but you should have heard what they said when we were alone. You need to get out more.

CLARENCE PAGE: Politicians like to practice the politics of addition, not subtraction. They dream of persuading everybody-100 percent victory. On election night, reality sets in. As a journalist, I’ve seen the pain of rejection even in the eyes of winning politicians, brooding over every vote they failed to win, every voter they failed to persuade. But if the politics of division are what they think it takes for them to win, most of them will play that wedge card in all of its many forms. That’s what makes Republican Party chairman Ken Mehlman’s speech to this year’s NAACP convention so extraordinary.

KEN MEHLMAN: Good morning.

CLARENCE PAGE: He threw the race card down on the table and burned it.

CLARENCE PAGE: He apologized, in effect, for the so-called “southern strategy,” a Republican tactic since the Nixon era to win white votes at the expense of black voters. A lot of black folks, including me, appreciated Mehlman’s sentiments, yet could not help but wonder about his timing. Why now? After all, Mehlman was apologizing for playing the race card, a racist strategy as old as American politics.

Southern Democrats played the race card to win and hold the South against the party of Abraham Lincoln. Conservative Republicans played the race card in the name of “state’s rights” to win the South in 1964. On the night President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he told his young aide Bill Moyers, “I think we just delivered the South to the Republican Party for a long time to come.”

Indeed, Nixon’s team expanded that so-called southern strategy to the North and West with racially coded wedge issues, like school busing, open housing and “crime in the streets.” It was Nixon, not Kennedy or Johnson, who signed affirmative action into law because, as his aides later revealed, Nixon wanted to divide Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal coalition of blacks, Jews and organized labor. It worked. Blacks won new employment and educational opportunities; Republicans won new votes.

The only one who doesn't understand what he said is YOU...:eek:

You are truley clueless. I've lived in both and racism was/IS alive and well in the north. The biggest racists I've met lived in the north, at least the southerners were honest about it. As a new kid from NYC moved into the segregated south I was called ****** lover in a crowd, but alone they would come up to me and say shit like "I really don't have no problem with them, hell I play basketball with 'em". It was the opposite up north, they claim openmindedness but you should have heard what they said when we were alone. You need to get out more.

One that confounds good and evil is an enemy to good.
Edmund Burke

"I really don't have no problem with them, hell I play basketball with 'em" While their parents went to lynchings.

Chart_Lynchings.grid-6x2.gif

Edmund Burke

"I really don't have no problem with them, hell I play basketball with 'em" While their parents went to lynchings.

Chart_Lynchings.grid-6x2.gif

Geez, if we were going purely off of lynchings, you'd be right. But we aren't.

Are you trying to argue that the racist Southern Confederate slave states are "better" racists because "at least they're honest about it"?

Edmund Burke

Assuming all their parents attented lynchings (which is stupid) most people would consider the change in heart a good thing. All you have is hate and propaganda. We were discussing your assertion that the racist southern Democrats joined the Republican party. That's a smear attempt, there were only a few that changed party affiliation. History doesn't fit your beliefs so either history is wrong or you are.

Are you trying to argue that the racist Southern Confederate slave states are "better" racists because "at least they're honest about it"?
Obviously my comment went over your head. I can't understand it for you.

Liberals founded this country

Haven't looked back since

Israel too.

"1. The purpose of this Basic Law is to protect human dignity and liberty, in order to establish in a Basic Law the values of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state."[4]
—Basic Law: Human Dignity and Liberty[4]

"2. The purpose of this Basic Law if to protect freedom of occupation, in order to establish in a Basic Law the values of the State of Israel as a Jewish and democratic state."[5]
—Basic Law: Freedom of Occupation (1994)
A Jewish and Democratic State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wish Bush had gotten his social security privitization plan passed

Amen to that! What Dumbocrats have done to Social Security is just disgraceful. They raided the account 70 years ago and now it's just the world's largest Ponzi Scheme.

Funny thing about Dumbocrats - they rant about Bernie Madoff getting wealthy while screwing people, but they worship Nancy Pelosi getting wealthy while screwing people.

Social Security is the biggest screw-job in the history of the United States. It fucked my family out of 100% of what we were owed. Didn't see a damn penny. Had it not been an extortion plan that forces Americans against their will into the Ponzi Scheme, we would have had all of that money. Instead, Nancy Pelosi (now worth $35 million) stuffed her pockets with it and laughed all the way to the bank at the useful idiots like franco that thank her for her government table scraps.

Who said, upon signing the Civil Rights Act: "I think we just delivered the South to the Republican Party for a long time to come."?

He appeared to have had a crystal ball...

20101113_usc624.gif

Amen to that! What Dumbocrats have done to Social Security is just disgraceful. They raided the account 70 years ago and now it's just the world's largest Ponzi Scheme.

Funny thing about Dumbocrats - they rant about Bernie Madoff getting wealthy while screwing people, but they worship Nancy Pelosi getting wealthy while screwing people.

Social Security is the biggest screw-job in the history of the United States. It fucked my family out of 100% of what we were owed. Didn't see a damn penny. Had it not been an extortion plan that forces Americans against their will into the Ponzi Scheme, we would have had all of that money. Instead, Nancy Pelosi (now worth $35 million) stuffed her pockets with it and laughed all the way to the bank at the useful idiots like franco that thank her for her government table scraps.

just spewing fox talking points is not being intelligent

Yeah...that would have been great right before Wall Street destroyed the economy and got bailed out. You think your little private pension would have been bailed out? In 2008 private pension and 401k's lost 37% of their value.

Gramma'd be eatin' catfood for sure.

Forum List

Back