The Hostess-Twinkie who did what to kill it/them thread

the workers held their ground - for the better in the long run.

5,000 union workers held their ground, but how about you ask the 13,000 non-union workers they put on the unemployment lines how they feel about it. I seriously doubt that they think it will be better in the long run. I thought your commies were all about democracy, why didn't all the workers get a vote?

Last edited:
Don't mourn the Twinkie, it's a small price to pay in the big business war on American working class pensions and decent wages.

Twinkie, HO HO's, Wonder Bread will be back STRONG - as soon as the brands are sold off and the Union is shat.

Good riddence.

So what!.....................Twinkie is dead ......we still have Snickers bars

No
body
cares
meh

Just looking at this gave me a little gas....

bacon-wrapped-twinkie-stonehenge.jpg
:hellno:

Last edited:
the workers held their ground - for the better in the long run.

uh huh, looks like the teamsters threw the bakery union under the bus.....the teamsters were ready the bakers weren't, so now? they all lose. blood from a stone and all that.

In fact, when Hostess attempted to throw out its collective bargaining agreement with the Teamsters in court, the Teamsters fought back and won, ensuring that Hostess could not unilaterally make changes to working conditions during the several months’ long legal process that recently ended. Teamster Hostess members were allowed to decide their fate by voting on the final offer conducted by a secret mail ballot. More than two-thirds of Hostess Teamsters members voted with 53 percent voting to approve the final offer.

The BCTGM chose a different path, as is their prerogative, to not substantively look for a solution or engage in the process. BCTGM members were told there were better solutions than the final offer, although Judge Drain stated in his decision in bankruptcy court that no such solutions exist. Without complete information, BCTGM members voted by voice votes in union halls. The BCTGM reported that over 90 percent rejected the final offer and three of its units ratified the final offer.

On Friday, Nov. 9, the BCTGM began to strike at some Hostess production facilities without notice to the Teamsters despite assurances they would not proceed with job actions without contacting the Teamsters Union. This unannounced action put Teamster members in the difficult position of facing picket lines without knowing their right to honor such a line without being disciplined.

As is our longstanding tradition, Teamster members by and large are honoring Bakery Worker picket lines when encountered and complying with their contractual obligations when not encountering picket lines. The BCTGM leaders are putting Teamster members in a horrible position – asking them to support a strike that will put them out of a job when they haven’t even asked all their members to go on strike.

That strike is now on the verge of forcing the company to liquidate – it is difficult for Teamster members to believe that is what the BCTGM Hostess members ultimately wanted to accomplish when they went out on strike. We may never know unless the BCTGM members, based on the facts they know today, get to determine their fate in a secret ballot vote. Teamster members would understand that the will of the BCTGM Hostess membership was truly heard if that was the case.

more at-

Teamsters: Bakery Workers Should Hold Secret Ballot Vote at Hostess | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)

right, becasue he says so and of course hes got no dog in the fight:lol:

friggin sheep....:rolleyes:

That's the vibe on the street here in Seattle. The company got new management which sucked the company dry and then chose to liquidate it for the quick money. Fucking over a national institution and a couple thousand jobs in the process.

I am pretty sure asking $4.79 for a box of Ho Hos killed Hostess.

Then again, how else are you going to pay a guy $30 an hour to stock shelves?

Hostess Brands is unprofitable under its current cost structure, much of which is determined by union wages and pension costs. The offer to the BCTGM included wage, benefit and work rule concessions but also gave Hostess Brands’ 12 unions a 25 percent ownership stake in the company, representation on its Board of Directors and $100 million in reorganized Hostess Brands’ debt.

Hostess union workers have Plan B:

:rolleyes:

the unions wanted their benes not a piece of the co., hey the UAW took ( were given) a piece of GM et al, so whats gives?

annnnd-

Many production workers earned up to $20 an hour, plus had access to medical benefits, according to Michael O'Brien, a former Hostess employee who had worked at the company for 45 years, in various sales functions, before he was offered a buyout last year.

snip-

Another 6,700 Hostess workers were represented by the Teamsters, a union that was sharply critical of the Bakers' decision to strike. Those jobs largely include truckers, many who both transported and sold Hostess products.

Trucking is a higher paying field, offering a national average of $22 an hour. Including base pay and commission, Hostess Teamsters workers could have earned between $50,000 to $100,000 a year, said O'Brien.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/economy/hostess-jobs/

I know scientists at UC Berkeley that make less than that....

The company cited increased wages, pensions, and cost of medical care for it's employees as the reason for going belly up. This is pure right winged propoganda I tell ya!! Everyone knows that Obamacare is affordable and good for the nation. In addition, the CEO's are greedy and only are in it for the money, not their exploited employees who are in it for the love of twinkie.

If I were Obama, I would buy the company up and save those 18,000 jobs. It's the American way and the right thing to do for the workers of America.

Workers unite!!!

Last edited:
The company cited increased wages, pensions, and cost of medical care for it's employees as the reason for going belly up. This is pure right winged propoganda I tell ya!! Everyone knows that Obamacare is affordable and good for the nation. In addition, the CEO's are greedy and only are in it for the money.

If I were Obama, I would buy the company up and save those 18,000 jobs. It's the America way and the right thing to do for the workers of America.

Workers unite!!!

What would be awsome is if those 18K workers started their own bakery and just made it happen themselves.

Fuck, they could pay themselves whatever they think they deserve!

Forum List

Back