The jury will not give Trump a prison sentence. They are only responsible for deciding whether Trump is guilty or not guilty of the charges.

The only thing in evidence is the call record between Cohen and Schiller. There is no recording, only Cohen's testimony as to what the call was about.

That testimony was destroyed by Blanche under cross and the text messages before and after the call.

Steinglass is trying to rehabilitate his witness by this stunt. Every word he said in his fictitious call is made up. There is no actual record of what was really said in that call.

That tells me he is desperate- he knows how damaging Cohen's lie was to his case.
Was it a reimbursement?

:auiqs.jpg:

Joshua Steinglass is now walking the jurors through Trump’s own words in 2018, when he described the payments to Michael Cohen as “reimbursements.” Steinglass shows a tweet from Trump, but he said it in a Fox News interview that summer as well. It’s why one of the defense's more head-scratching claims has been that this wasn’t a reimbursement, it was for legitimate legal work.

And with one word Trump describes a whole day of closing argument...

I can tell from your descriptions that the prosecution knows how weak their case is. The stunt with the fictitious phone call says it all.
news flash:

Joshua Steinglass — maybe, just maybe — appears to be winding down. He tells the jurors that the judge will explain reasonable doubt to them and asks them to listen carefully. He reminds them of the concept of accessorial liability: That a person who directs someone to commit a crime is equally guilty of that crime. Steinglass brings up his preferred analogy for this, the husband who hires a hitman to kill his wife. The defense objects and the judge sustains it: It is his role to explain the law, not Steinglass’s.

The fictitious phone call? That came from one of Prostate Stretched's "courtroom updates"

I was just noticing that the courtroom stunt shows that Steinglass knew Cohen was damaged goods.

Blanche gutted Cohen that day- the jury knows that they were lied to just two days earlier. That's pretty hard to overcome for the prosecution, hence the stunt.

There was no fictitious phone call entered into evidence.

Joshua Steinglass — maybe, just maybe — appears to be winding down. He tells the jurors that the judge will explain reasonable doubt to them and asks them to listen carefully. He reminds them of the concept of accessorial liability: That a person who directs someone to commit a crime is equally guilty of that crime. Steinglass brings up his preferred analogy for this, the husband who hires a hitman to kill his wife. The defense objects and the judge sustains it: It is his role to explain the law, not Steinglass’s.
And earlier when I asked if the judge interrupted when Steinglass was telling the jury the elements of the crime, you said "Wrong".

Not wrong.

Doesn't matter. It's not illegal whatever label you put on it.

The NDA existed, Cohen arranged it, Cohen was paid.
other news:

If Donald Trump becomes a felon in the coming days, he and his defense team can partly blame themselves. Throughout the trial they offered implausible arguments against the prosecution’s case, and on Tuesday Trump’s lead attorney, Todd Blanche, slipped an I.E.D. into the end of his closing argument that blew up in his face.

“You cannot send someone to prison based on the words of Michael Cohen,” Blanche said, in a bid to make jurors think it was their role to decide if a president should be incarcerated.

“Saying that was outrageous,” Justice Juan Merchan told Blanche after the jury left for lunch. Mentioning sentencing to gain sympathy with jurors who have no say in punishment “is simply not allowed,” he said, and that it was “hard for me to imagine how that was not intentional.”

My favorite dumb moment: “Guess who else you did not hear from in this trial?” Blanche asked. “Don and Eric. Is there some allegation that they are part of a conspiracy?” No, counselor, but the jury will likely wonder why the defense called Robert Costello, who was destroyed on cross-examination, instead of Trump’s own sons.

The Trump Team’s Inept Closing Argument Blew Up

It's not "Mr. Merchan" it's Judge Merchan.
Mr. Merchan calls President Trump "Mr. Trump," so he has little regard for such protocol. I'm only honoring his wish that such formalities be ignored.
You misrepresent what the Judge warned the defense about. The jury is not supposed to be considering if a guilty verdict will result in prison time. That would affect their ability to focus on the evidence at hand. Sentencing is not the jury's concern or responsibility. The defense is trying to make that case, against all rules and against the instructions from the Judge.
It flies against reason that being found guilty of 34 felonies would not result in prison time.

"You can't send my client to prison on such flimsy evidence as this" is not doubt an argument made by countless defense attorneys in countless cases. These are special rules for Trump trials.

Last edited:
Wrong. That is not all you said or inferred.
I cannot help your lack of comprehension.

This was from YOUR source. Steinglass was telling the jury the elements of the crime:

"Joshua Steinglass opens by reminding the jury that during opening statements, his colleague said that the case, at its core, is about “a conspiracy and a coverup.” He then delineates three elements that the prosecution must prove: That there were false business records, that they were used as part of the conspiracy and that Trump himself was involved."

What I said was that:
1. It was an improper jury instruction, the judge is the only one who gets to tell the jury what the law is and:
2. Steinglass completely omits a critical element, which is "intent to defraud"

Neither of those 2 statements are wrong.

Learn to read.

Here are a few observations from the courtroom. Observations provided by reporters sitting in the courtroom itself.

And this is after the defense's closing arguments, and after a lunch break. Next to follow will be the closing arguments of teh prosecution.

Juries do not sentence people. Want to start over?

Here are a few observations from the courtroom. Observations provided by reporters sitting in the courtroom itself.

And this is after the defense's closing arguments, and after a lunch break. Next to follow will be the closing arguments of teh prosecution.

unlawful means: That’s not a legal explanation, just argument.

Forum List

Back