The Last Remaining Sambo's has Changed its Name

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
The last Sambo's restaurant, a chain that once boasted 1,117 locations, has changed its name. I guess the only surprising thing is, it didn't happen sooner, given its location (Santa Barbara) and people's general ignorance as to the origin of the name (a combination of the two owners' names, Sam Battistone Sr. and Newell "Bo" Bohnett).

It was a great place to for breakfast when is SB, I don't imagine that will change just because the name did...

The last Sambo's restaurant, a chain that once boasted 1,117 locations, has changed its name. I guess the only surprising thing is, it didn't happen sooner, given its location (Santa Barbara) and people's general ignorance as to the origin of the name (a combination of the two owners' names, Sam Battistone Sr. and Newell "Bo" Bohnett).

It was a great place to for breakfast when is SB, I don't imagine that will change just because the name did...
Liberal ignorance is a terrible thing

A good eating place destroyed by ignorance.

The one’s in Tx changed their name back in the late 70’s...

Stop whining bitch. They associated themselves with the racist term.

" Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with The Story of Little Black Sambo. Battistone and Bohnett capitalized on this connection by decorating the walls of the restaurants with scenes from the book, including a dark-skinned boy, tigers, and a pale, magical unicycle-riding man called "The Treefriend". "

«Sambo» is Swedish pirate slang for a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend or cohabiting significant other without a legitimate marriage.

«sam» = same, common, together
«bo» = to live, dwell, or reside

The implications are more than enough to close a restaurant or change its name.

" Though the name was taken from portions of the names of its founders, the chain soon found itself associated with The Story of Little Black Sambo. Battistone and Bohnett capitalized on this connection by decorating the walls of the restaurants with scenes from the book, including a dark-skinned boy, tigers, and a pale, magical unicycle-riding man called "The Treefriend". "
you cant cover up your ignorance by cursing at me

Next you’ll be telling us that niggardly is a racist term

They absolutely played to the built in branding of the name, of that there is no doubt, but that's not why they chose the name...

Funny how the story of an Indian boy written in 1899 evolved over the years to become what it did. At the time. critics noted that the author, Helen Bannerman, presented one of the first black heroes in children's literature and regarded the book as positively portraying black characters in both the text and pictures, especially when compared to the more negative books of that time that portrayed blacks as simple and uncivilized.

I'm exposing your ignorance you dumb fuck. They willingly associated themselves to the racist term so please explain to the board how ignorance is at play other than your own?

I'm exposing your ignorance you dumb fuck. They willingly associated themselves to the racist term so please explain to the board how ignorance is at play other than your own?
Still ising curse words to fill the gaps in your limited vocabulary I see

I wish we could get a better class of minorities posting here

They absolutely played to the built in branding of the name, of that there is no doubt, but that's not why they chose the name...

Funny how the story of an Indian boy written in 1899 evolved over the years to become what it did. At the time. critics noted that the author, Bannerman, presented one of the first black heroes in children's literature and regarded the book as positively portraying black characters in both the text and pictures, especially when compared to the more negative books of that time that portrayed blacks as simple and uncivilized.
Are people protesting the origins of their name or the fact that they capitalized on the racist term? We can play games all day long but at the end of the day they willingly did so and made a profit. For people to have an issue with them changing their name or lamenting the fact that people are protesting it is sad and intellectually dishonest.

Actually studies have shown that if you have a vocabulary that includes curse words you are smarter than people that dont. Bitch.

Funny how the story of an Indian boy written in 1899 evolved over the years to become what it did. At the time. critics noted that the author, Bannerman, presented one of the first black heroes in children's literature and regarded the book as positively portraying black characters in both the text and pictures, especially when compared to the more negative books of that time that portrayed blacks as simple and uncivilized.
Are people protesting the origins of their name or the fact that they capitalized on the racist term? We can play games all day long but at the end of the day they willingly did so and made a profit. For people to have an issue with them changing their name or lamenting the fact that people are protesting it is sad and intellectually dishonest.

Relax, man, I'm not playing games in the least. I don't care that they changed their name, I know the exploited the link to the story for marketing purposes and have said as much, and I have also pointed out that the book has, over time been twisted and used in derogatory ways.

Where's the game?

Relax, man, I'm not playing games in the least. I don't care that they changed their name, I know the exploited the link to the story for marketing purposes and have said as much, and I have also pointed out that the book has, over time been twisted and used in derogatory ways.

Where's the game?
Turn of phrase. Not saying you specifically are playing games.

Actually studies have shown that if you have a vocabulary that includes curse words you are smarter than people that dont. Bitch.
Studies done by the usual brain damaged libs

I’m not impressed even if such a study really existed

Sure, you're a genius, just ask you.

What do they call it now "crackers"?

Forum List

Back